Wednesday 30 July 2014

Huskie the Muskie Muskellunge Blues: Wednesday, July 30th!

The man who is denied the opportunity of taking decisions of importance begins to regard as important the decisions he is allowed to take. -C. Northcote Parkinson, author and historian (1909-1993) 


Hi Patrick, Good to see you slaving away on home renovations and your riding exploits are exhausting just reading about it I am afraid Claire and I will not be up to your lofty heights though we are looking forward to a few rides around the place if that is OK. We have firmed up pretty much everything at this point so are now looking forward to catching up in a few months. Cheers Greg and Claire
Chloe Alexis Dunn shared Aunt Leah's Independent Lifeskills Society's album: DHX Media Fundraiser for Aunt Leah's.
Hi Groggage and Claire de la Lune! Terrific that plans have come fruition! Please don't worry about trying to keep up with me, (not that that will be an issue), as I'm perfectly happy to go along at whatever pace is comfortable for both of you. I really only try to "push" myself, inasmuch as it is ever a "push", if the legs and winds allow and then I try to attain an AVG which is a tad higher than what has the going speed over the course of the ride. Yesterday's outing was a case in point. Spent most of the morning/afternoon trying to catch up on correspondence, (For some reason my MacBook Air will not connect readily to the Internet while Cora Lee's new MacBook Air, (Her 67th birthday present, from me, as she moaned and whined that my old laptop simply wasn't good enough for Volunteer Woman!), is fine. Fortunately, she has her iPad along so I'm able to use her laptop.), visiting with neighbours who dropped by and then cleaning my bike/oiling chain.

Around 4:00 pm I set off for a "stretch ride" to the South Shore of Falcon Lake. About 10 km of tarmac before it becomes a gravel surface so 20 km by the time I head for West Hawk, 11 km away. Very pleasant ride, with a few rolling hills to keep things interesting. Really fierce head wind on this section as much of road is quite exposed, unlike South Shore which is forested, for the most part, on both sides. Anyway, once at West Hawk I dipsy-doodled there to have just under 40 km on the clock by the time I was heading back to Falcon. Now the wind was either at my back or else more of a cross-wind so I knew I would be able to increase my 22+ km/hr AVG without doing much hard work. Turned out to be the case and I was able to reach 23.4 km/hr by the time I reached Fairway Crescent but dropped to 23.3 km/hr when I pulled up outside the cabin as gravel road on the Crescent, leading to Ace Bay, had just been graded and I had to negotiate the various ridges rather carefully and slowly or risk a fall.

Kudos to the crew from DHX Media who put together a fundraiser last week. The end result was $1,738.86 raised and donated to Aunt Leah's Place. The funds allow us to provide programs and housing for foster kids and young moms.]

At any rate, I really am not a Speed Demon. (Wish I was capable of being one, more's the luck!) Our rides together will be much like those wonderful ones we took in Brisbane, although no possibility of stopping for lattes, I'm afraid! We can stay on the flat of The Seawall towards and around Stanley Park or go over Lions Gate Bridge if you fancy descent but not exhausting climbs. Jaunt out to UBC is also very flat for first 10 km and then another longish but not overly steep hill. Once at top, another 10 km of flat surface. And so on. Once you are here you'll see for yourselves what you'd like to do. As with our most recent visitors form California, a quick overview, by car, will give you a good sense of Vancouver and immediate environs.

Not sure if gang still wants to drive into Kenora, (About 61 km away. I have ridden there and back, [after sleeping overnight], on last visit. Very wide, smooth shoulder on Trans Canada Highway but it is very, very busy, as you can imagine, so not a particularly enjoyable outing from this point of view.), for Farmer's Market this morning or not. Pamela, Cora Lee's sister, (Their cabin is at War Eagle, a few km outside of Kenora.), came for dinner, with Greg, last night. He headed back into Winnipeg after meal and Spumoni stayed to do laundry and sleep overnight. She is having the oil changed on her car this morning so I'm not sure what she, Cora Lee and Rosita have cooked up for the menfolk!

Another gorgeous day so if we don't head out to Kenora I plan to go for a reasonably long ride as I won't be able to do much cycling for next few days. I driving into Winnipeg tomorrow to finalize some details for my Mom's memorial service on Friday. Weekend, back at Falcon, will be all 69th wedding anniversary activities. Should be fun and boisterous with all of Clara's/Dusty's children, (and spouses)/grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Raymond! Glad to hear that all goes well back in Vancouver. Know what you mean about Endowment Lands although I've not ridden there in years! Sylvia's outing to Ucluelet sounded marvelous. Never been to Savary but can only imagine it will be wonderful. Corinne went for her first ride yesterday but blamed me for hiding her lock. As a result she wasn't able to stop and shop at tiny local mall in town-site!

Bit of a lazy day, for me, at least, yesterday. Have had one message from Giorgio and he seems to be doing well, although he said it will take some time to really "settle in"! Don't know just when I might be able to visit as calendar, once we return, is already chock-a-block. Hope to do some pre-Whistler Granfondo training towards the end of August. Ride is on the 6th of September. I'm hoping to ride to Sqaumish on a Friday, stay overnight with friends, Ruth/Rick, there and then on up to Whistler on Saturday. Depending on weather, might even consider riding back to Squamish same day.


Not sure if Whirlygig would be able/interested in joining me. We are supposed to be part of Team Jackal as Charlie asked me to join his group. Sarge indicated he'd like to do training run but will depend on his schedule, closer to date. Of course, you are more than welcome to join us for any or all of planned rides. We can chat once back, of course. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello Oh Wrathful One! First an foremost, I apologize for not replying sooner. However, when I say "No excuses, but plenty of reasons", I'm actually telling the truth. Your last email arrived on Tuesday, July 22nd, day we left for our trip to Winnipeg. Have had one message from Giorgio, (Same day your message arrived!), and he seems to be doing well. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Giggster/Galiano Man, et al! Have had a message from The Wrathful One, (Same day your message arrived!), and he was wondering about Robinson Crusoe! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you three. Hope everyone is "settling in" and making respective spaces their own! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Big Al and Marilyn! Really enjoyed your last missive and wonderful snaps! Very impressed with your tremendous biking outing. Not sure if I can keep up with you mountaineers! Like to giv eit a whirl though, once back, probably on my Brodie, given terrain.  Fondestos from Cora Lee to you four.  Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kids! Really enjoyed your last missive and hearing about Touchet and Walla Walla, bringing back all sorts of wonderful memories! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both.  Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Simone! How lovely to hear from you. Really enjoyed your newsy message. You have been busy! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you, Simone. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Wonder Woman! First an foremost, I apologize for not replying sooner. However, when I say "No excuses, but plenty of reasons", I'm actually telling the truth. Your last email arrived on July 19th, but a few days before we left for our trip to Winnipeg. Have only glanced at article but look forward to perusing, at length. Thanks Hope to do some pre-Whistler Granfondo training towards the end of August. I've asked Whirlygig to ask Carlos if you are going to be invited to join Team Jackal, but no reply from Galiano Man to date! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you three.  Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Sarika! First an foremost, I apologize for not replying sooner. However, when I say "No excuses, but plenty of reasons", I'm actually telling the truth. Your email arrived on July 21th, but the day before we left for our trip to Winnipeg. 

We were on the road until Friday, July 25th, when we arrived here in Falcon Lake at Cora Lee's parents. Communication now frustratingly difficult, as  a result of Internet connectivity problems, here in Falcon, via Cora Lee's brother's satellite wireless service so have been struggling just to keep my head above virtual water.

At any rate, I had a wonderful ride. Did much the same as on my past outing to Rennie but this time I skipped Ingolf and went to Brereton Lake instead. Closer to Rennie and has fond memories for me as I camped their with a school chum and his family when I was in Grade 7! Fierce, fierce head wind all the way to Rennie but I was laughing on return leg. Absolutely delighted with both distance and time. Stats:
 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/553441397#.U9l7oyTTbgo.email

Must away as Tinsel Towners just phoned. They will be here in a few minutes so have to start opening wine! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you.  Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pic: Wagon!

HI PATRICK,I AM GLAD YOU MADE IT SAFELY.THE PICTURES ALONE GAVE ME A BACK ACHE.HAVE A WONDERFUL 69TH.alexa in town and we had a blast
of a party to celebrate.kept the neighbours up -beautiful.so no golf at present. salmon and tenderloin here as a substitute for ham but chocolate moose? a beauty. keep those legs pumping patrick.life is o k here[just].say hi to everyone from us; take care, matt 


P, Thanks for keeping me posted. My notes will be short as I have only my cell phone to input by single digit. I will be thinking of you and Shark Tooth this weekend. Hope that all goes well. Please wish Dusty and Clare my congrats as well. Would love to do the training ride to Whistler. Let me know the dates. You are on team Jackal. I will find out how the roster is looking - to see if Sara can get in. Enviable rides you are having and the stats are not bad either. Imagine if you did not stop for lattes?

Buddy Neil rides the Pan Mass this weekend for the 16th time. Amazing fund raiser for cancer. Biggest in the world now. Be well, ride safe, W

  





No comments:

Post a Comment