Thursday 28 August 2014

Britannia Beach Long Haul Blues: Thursday, August 28th!

For many years, I thought a poem was a whisper overheard, not an aria heard. -Rita Dove, poet (b. 1952) 

 
 God D your legs must be steel!! Well done!! xx

Hi Loyal Fan! Thanks for congrats. I am pleased with ride and having ridden route I know it will be far "easier" on the day of event, inasmuch as I'll know what lies ahead and can pace myself accordingly. Of course, it will be great to have Giorgio and Carlos with me as Team Jackal makes its way to Whistler, attacking each and every hill!
[Colleen Teahan Waldron Do your part Pat

Patrick James Dunn Now that is Disaster Relief which I can really support!]
Just said goodbye to Ricardo as he is off to appear in Provincial Court in North Vancouver this morning. Ruthless is already at their cabin on Little Shushwap. All the kids and partners are coming for the long weekend so should be fun for everyone. Rikkster will leave later this afternoon, depending on length of time for trial.
Colleen Teahan Waldron OMG i u patricio
Patrick James Dunn Mutual, I'm sure!!!
I'm going to have some overlefts for breakfast shortly and then get ready to leave. We have been invited to stay overnight the following weekend, once Granfondo is over. Should work out nicely as I have always wanted Giorgio to meet The Squamoids! Not sure what Charlie's plans are but he is welcome to stay as well. Will find out once back home, over next few days and let Reservation Desk at Squamish Waldorf know how many rooms to have ready, what meals to prepare and which particular wines/malts to have on hand! Being a Freeloader isn't easy!!!

I gather Sarge is doing pretty well now, relatively speaking, so that is a relief, of course. I told Nana that she'll need to buy another Murphy bed as one from Parksville is already worn out. Never not been used from day it arrived! Love and Cheers, Dad! Pic: Hill out of Britannia Beach will be waiting for me!

Rebecca Frazier Great news!!


Good news Wayne is awake alert and talking . He is trying to piece together the events and if you know him there are lots of questions to be answered. He knows he needs open heart surgery but that is the next part of this journey. We told him of all the love and prayers that have come his way . Thank you to everyone - we all feel your arms around us at this time

Hi Pat, Just checking in to see how Wayne is doing-talked to Ryan Tuesday night, and he thought that they were going to do a number of tests yesterday.
Praying for a good outcome! Thanks, Gregg

Hi Groggage and Lurchesca! This was just posted by Flamin':

Great news Wayne is being stepped down to cardiac care unit now. He is now complaining about the food and wants to go to the Seahawks opener next week. I told him it was being preempted by open heart surgery!! He is disappointed ! Thank you for all your love and prayers - God does listen .

I'm just back from Squamish, arrived at 2:00 pm. I was supposed to ride there on Monday with Whirlygig but everything changed when Sarge collapsed! Giggster, as other events in his life unfolded, had to return to Galiano on Tuesday anyway so our plans to ride to Whistler as part of route orientation and training for Granfondo on September 6th fell through. However, once Sarge was in a medically induced coma and all the family were there I decided I might as well do the ride anyway. This being the case I rode up to Squamish on Tuesday. Stayed overnight and then did the ride to Whistler and back on Wednesday. Had a grand visit with The Squamoids! 


Sky was clear when I went downstairs at 7:30 am so I called The Islay Inn to let chauffeur know she wouldn't need to hoof it to Squamish. I'm sure she was more than relieved as she really doesn't like the drive, hence having Little White along on Saturday for Whistler leg!

After I thanked Ricardo for stay and we made a few plans for event weekend, he left
to appear in Provincial Court in North Vancouver. Ruthless was already at their cabin on Little Shushwap. All their kids and partners were coming for the long weekend so should be fun for everyone. Rikkster was to leave later that afternoon, depending on length of time for trial. I enjoyed a hearty breakfast of overlefts, beef with rice, and then got ready to leave. Left a note for Reservation Desk at Squamish Waldorf about how many rooms to have ready, what meals to prepare and which particular wines/malts to have on hand for Granfondo weekend! Being a Freeloader isn't easy!!!

 Left at just before 10:30 am and must say I felt pretty good. Was a tad concerned that my legs might be tired but turned out not to be the case even though the damnable head wind was a strong or perhaps even slightly more ferocious than on yesterday's return from Whistler. A some points, early in ride, I actually had to stand up to peddle descending some of the slight downhill grades!

Shoulder on hill into Britannia Beach is very narrow so had to be extra careful. Frustrating as one can't really get the benefit of free ride! However, just before climb back up there was road work, joint filling crew, so curb lane was closed to vehicular traffic. This meant that I could ride on the road all the way to the bottom of the Furry Creek hill. Made the climb out of Britannia Beach much, much more comfortable, as you can well imagine. Before I knew it I was in Lions Bay and really, really enjoyed ride from there to Horseshoe Bay, drinking in the breathtaking views. 



Very pleased to reach the Pasco Rd turnoff as by this time the huge, long, long semis hurtling by were getting to me and I relished the calm and relative quiet of Marine once I'd reached the roundabout at the top of the hill before one turns down into HB Village itself. After having the rides of the past two days under my belt, the return from HB seemed almost laughable although I certainly couldn't even begin to imagine grinding my way back up Westport, when I passed its intersection with Marine, if that had been required.

Quite enjoyed trying to up my AVG all the way back to Ambleside and was pleased that I didn't have to fight too, too many WV matrons between there and last hurdle up Lions Gate. Seawall from Stanley Park to Science World wasn't nearly as busy as I thought it might be so I careened along, feeling stronger and stronger the closer I came to home. Arrived home at just before 2:00 pm. Very, very pleased with the cycling and I know that simply understanding what lies ahead, what grades to expect, etc., will be of great help on day of event. As mentioned, Ruthless and Cora Lee will drive to Whistler to collect us, sometime between 1:00-2:00 pm, all going well. Ricardo will be golfing!!! Stats for day's ride:



http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/577391125#.U__PyX2biG0.email

 
Quite pleased with the cycling and I know that simply knowing what lies ahead, what grades to expect, etc., will be of great help on day of event. Ruthless and Ricardo have invited us to stay the night of the ride so that should be fun. Not sure what plans either Carlos or Whirlygig have for after the Granfondo but they are welcome to stay at the Squamish Waldorf as well. Ruthless and Cora Lee will drive to Whistler to collect us, sometime between 1:00-2:00 pm, all going well. Ricardo will be golfing!!!

Not much more than a week after that and we'll be heading over to Madroña Manor. When do you actually leave? Will you still be there on the 13th? Depending on timing, weather, etc., I'd like to ride over. I'll be in touch once I've had a chance to sort things out. We were barely back from Winnipeg when Ayn and Zircon arrived and then the terrible time surrounding Sarge's heart attack. Although open-heart surgery is nothing to sneeze at, certainly much more reason to be confident for a very positive outcome, unlike the nightmare of not knowing what organ damage he might have sustained when his heart stopped. Trust you are both well. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


We'll be heading over to Madroña Manor week following GF. I will probably go over on the 12th, day before Grogg/Lurch leave. Depending on timing, weather, etc., I'd like to ride. Let me know if this might fit with your schedule/inclination as you are more than welcome.

We can chat about trip to California over GF weekend. At one point, Sarge was keen to come along but, obviously, wine-tasting junkets won't be happening for some time now.  Will be in touch or call once I know more about last ticket. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 

Pics: New Murphy bed. Thanks for helping The Sisterhood load it! Hasn't been empty ever since we put it together! Prince Valiant and Megan, (In from Merritt to be with family.), moved in as soon as Ayn left for Tinsel Town! Happy Freeloader! Grumpy Hosts! View from Squamish Waldorf. Off to Whistler! Disaster Relief for Napa!

Great news-thanks!
I know how stressed and in shock we were-can't imagine how the family felt. Praying for a good recovery from the surgery.
 

We leave in the AM of the 13th, so hope to see you here on the 12th. I can pick you up from ferry if weather is nasty. We'll plan a couple of treasures from the 
cellar and a good meal! Tell Sarge we're saving some exceptional wines for when he is ready to sip again!! Good luck on the ride(s). Cheers, G&F

Hi Prince Valiant! Just spoke to Chloë and she mentioned that we could probably visit your Dad sometime tomorrow. That would be terrific. I presume we can chat about this tonight when you are back from hospital yourselves. See you later. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, I'll drop up tonight Megan and I are staying at your place. Ryan Sutherland

Hi Prince Valiant et al! I knew you were staying as I talked to Cora Lee when in Squamish. You need to thank Grogg for helping load Murphy bed in car! As well, please pass this, from The Millionaires, along to both your Mom and Dad: "Tell Sarge we're saving some exceptional wines for when he is ready to sip again!!"Cheers, "When there's just the four of us!", Patrizzio! 

Hello Pat! Thank you so much for reaching out.  I’m sorry I did not get your message on the day, and to be honest my time just flew by the last week.  It went slowly when I arrived and everything was so sad but when the funeral took place we were able to grieve a little better. 

We too spread Tylers ashes over the water, we chose a very private, quiet spot at Jericho Beach.  It was perfect.  Over looked the mountains and the skyline.  It was a gorgeous sunny day.  We managed a BBQ for him with his nearest and dearest.

Once again sorry to have missed seeing you all.  It just wasn't that kind of trip, didn’t manage much other than coordinating and hearing all his friends stories about Ty 😊

 Hope to see you in either Vancouver, Los Angeles, or London sometime soon!  Hope to catch up with Ayn in the near future.  Sad times all round.  The good go too soon. Speak soon.  Take care Pat and hugs and love to all xoxo

Thanks,  I plan to see Lauren soon here in LA xoxo 

Hi POB, (Print Oriented, or Parmagiana, Bastard!), and Donna Florida!

Trust you were able to wade through message without managing to drop too much Eggplant Parmagiana or Sagratino on the pages! Dinner sounded divine. I'll take Grogg's Lear next time!!! Have not heard of Jacuzzi Family Winery before or Sagratino varietal, for that matter! Looks like it might be a close relative of Petite Syrah and Durif!
 

Trust you are both well. Still toying with a trip to California, certainly after October 26th when VWF ends. More about that later when I've had a chance to dovetail with Whirlygig. At one point, Sarge was keen to come along but, obviously, wine-tasting junkets won't be happening for some time now.  Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Happy Freeloader! View from Squamish Waldorf. Disaster Relief for Napa!


It's Sangrantino sorry, if I spelled it wrong. Thanks for the Pics! Come on by and stay with us for a while, let's see if we can find some undamaged wineries!!!

 
P, thanks for the call. Delighted and relieved to learn the good news on Sarge. and that you felt good on the test ride to Whistler. I am pissed at myself that I did not stay another day and join you. You will be amused ed to learn that Susan, as predicted, delayed her visit until next week. We will see if that happens.

It just occurred to me that we should try to go to New Hampshire to ride. The riding there is like France, side roads everywhere, gorgeous country... And we would have accommodations at Dundee... And all of New England to explore.  


Wrightson is the weekend of the 17th - 19th October. The U Club -- San Fran tourney is rumoured to be the weekend of Halloween Saturday being the 1 November. John Lau has been in cancer treatment so our info source at U Club is not quite as precise. My thought was to go from Portland after the Wrightson -- ride around in California and show up for the Nob hill tourney...

Just sent Carlos a text and email to confirm that the ticket is available. I am sure it is but will know shortly. Carlos is on his way back from a work gig in Prince Rupert. More shortly, W
  

Chasy, Pat has a taker for the last ticket. Please confirm it is still available.
Thx, G  Yes still available. I can get Margo to advise. Charlie P, Good to go. Carlos will get final entry code from agent Margot. Thanks for finding a taker. W





 

No comments:

Post a Comment