Tuesday 12 August 2014

Dauphin Durston School Distric Blues: Tuesday, August 12th!

It has always seemed strange to me that in our endless discussions about education so little stress is laid on the pleasure of becoming an educated person, the enormous interest it adds to life. To be able to be caught up into the world of thought -- that is to be educated. -Edith Hamilton, educator and writer (1867-1963) 


Hi Patrick, Certainly no need for you to apologize, me being as slow as I am, and for no really good reasons.

This summer turned out a bit different from what I had thought. Jane's real estate business (sales, purchases, renovations) kept her really busy so far, so we'll see if she can take a break in September, before moving to her little beach cottage outside Comox beginning October.

I myself have kept occupied, not overly busy, by doing renovations to the town house, re-painting the porch, re-lackering the kitchen table and also upgrading electrical appliances, buying new kitchen appliances, a new leather couch, new curtains, new rugs, and a new, smart television set. Since I hadn't, on the whole, done anything to the place since I moved in in 1995, it was about time.

Apart from this, I see the few friends who spend their summer time in the city, go to concerts and football games, and, of course, since Anna moved back to Stockholm, I'm able to see her in between her rendez-vous with her new boyfriend, to whom I haven't even been introduced yet. I've been to the cabin a couple of times, but not really enough.  

Jane has now finalised the purchase of her little cabin (900 sq ft!!), is in the process of selling the cabin in Paradise Valley, is finishing the renovation of thea apartment at Illahee, and is totally engulfed in packing her stuff and taking it to the island.

The purchase, at an extremely high price, may seem a bit strange to an external onlooker (like myself), but she says she wants to go back to the hippie lifestyle of her youth (as a teacher librarian in the Yukon), and she is totally thrilled with the fact that the place is on a beach lot, although it's pretty isolated (no neighbors), and although the beach is full of rocks and rotting seeweed and very inaccessible (e.g., there is no way you could moor a boat there). And, honestly, if she's happy, I am. I wouldn't dream of trying to persuade her to buy something bigger and, to most people, more value for money (I'm asking questions, though), especially since she is fully capable of providing all the dough herself, and in cash, being a rich woman after her father died. Like she says, "it'll be an adventure".

Finally, I do look forward to seeing you and Corinne again, along with all my other friends in Vancouver (beautiful city!). Probably some time before Christmas. I know I don't have to tell you to have a good time, but still, do. Kjell     
Derek is obviously a tailor made pen pal for you...his emails are just as detailed as yours! 
thanks for this ".the rain came tumbling down "-van morrison.you certainly are getting around seeing so many people/relies.yes raining here today but did not prevent some golf.alexa just back from shamble,music festival of nelson.sascha has now departed from uganda.what an experience!.had Burring Owl pinot noir last night.needs a bit of work.working tomorrow to keep the cerebrum ticking and keep my mind off other things.is the car still going.thanks for the photos.say hi to everyone;matt 

Hi I really do know how to spell Celtic Colours, I just type too fast!
Your life is too good! I didn't think you could come to visit, but maybe sometime in the future when you don't have so many commitments? Will this ever happen?

So sad about Robin Williams- I find it hard to believe he didn't want to continue living. He should have been reading your writings to get a handle on how to enjoy life .

Can you send me Michelle's email? I will pass onto Dinao.

She is house sitting on 16th.  You met Tanya when you picked me up in May.  She loves the house and is enjoying writing her thesis. Well sort of enjoying spending up to 12 hrs a day reading and writing.

Keep enjoying life, mine is pretty good too. I played 21/2 hrs of tennis tonight, I loved it. Gtg to bed! Take care Rhoda


Hi Jim, Bonnie told me that you hoped I would be able to play bridge with you and Patrick and Corinne on August 19. I can’t believe you would want a repeat, but here’s my situation.

One of my neighbors has asked me to take her to the eye doctor at the retina clinic on Elbow Dr. near Cob’s and your former house, for an appointment at 2:10 PM that day. She is the person who usually looks after the condo when I am away, so this is the way I reciprocate.

I can plan to leave for the Hat as soon as we get back to her place, but I don’t know how that would fit with the start of the game. It usually takes me about 3 hours and 15-30 minutes to get to the Hat. I will take her a bit early in the hope that they will take her in right away. I just won’t know until that day what time I will be through and how the traffic will be getting back to Rocky Ridge. I could give you a call when I am ready to leave Calgary if that will help. But I will leave it up to you to decide if you think this will work. I don’t remember what time we started playing last time. I’m sorry if this isn’t a plausible solution, so I will certainly understand if you ask someone else to play.

In the meantime, thanks for thinking I’m up to another round! Mary Ann

Thank you. Patrick specifically requested you. If you are available it would be an honour to be able to play dvenfof an hour of so. Your generous offer is gratefully accepted. I am sending cc to Pat and Corinne so they can confirm their travel plans as well. Regards Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment