Tuesday 5 August 2014

Arrivederci Tinsel Towners Fargo Blues: Tuesday, August 5th!

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched. -Guy de Maupassant, short story writer and novelist (1850-1893) 

 
Hi Chooch and Brunello! I actually still have a beard, although it is so fair it seems as if I don't. I just have it taken down very, very close to my skin and then it grows back until I'm Mountain Man once more! Your two fridges are very appealing. Be careful, I might just show up on your door with a bottle of Windex and a sharp knife. Stir-fry overlefts for first meal after we arrive! You supply the expensive wine!!!

Had a good ride yesterday afternoon when most of rest of gang returned to War Eagle. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/557393639#.U-AXz9X45LI.email

Lovely day on the lake so everyone was pleased. I enjoyed my ride as although it drizzled earlier in day, dry all the time I was out. Sunny at War Eagle. Just a lazy 73 km but I hope to double it today after Ayn and Los Horridos leave for Fargo. Their flight isn't until Wednesday but given travel time, from Falcon, they don't really want to leave at 3:00 am in the morning.

Cora Lee's niece, Marlow, and her husband, Ryan, were on deck for dinner this evening: bbq'd pork loin and potatoes, corn-on-the-cob and a cake with icing as thick as Pierre is tall! Cora Lee organized a 10 Pennies, (Silly card game with two or more decks, three of a kind to open and then it progresses from there.), marathon after dinner so there was a lot of hootin' and hollerin' until the wee smalls!


I gave up my place around 11:00 pm as I was tired. Finished Istanbul Passage and then dropped off close to midnight only to be rudely awakened by Ayn, as party was breaking up, talking to Clarisse as if she happened to be two lakes away! When gang finally left for their various accommodations, Cora Lee came to bed to read. Pull-out we were assigned is quite small so she has been sleeping on the comfy couch in the same room. I woke up about 1:30 am staring at the blinding light from a diesel locomotive. She was wearing a head lamp and had fallen asleep, book open, mouth open, snores wafting. I tossed a small pillow at her. Missed on first attempt but secondo succeeded. She was still groggy so she ended up turning the lamp to flashing mode and we were immediately  transported to a disco floor for a few moments as she fell back to sleep. I was on the verge of having an epileptic fit when she roused herself and plunged us back into darkness!


Although celebration is winding down, with various parts of the extended family returning to home and work, still a goodly crowd until this coming Friday. Dinner tonight will be ribs. After all the "feasting" probably dry bread and water might well have been more appropriate! At any rate, on Saturday, Clara/Dusty/Cora Lee and I will drive to Clear Lake, (about 5-6 hours, depending on route chosen), to begin tour of Dauphin/ Gilbert Plains, the towns where Clara's and Dusty's family lived and worked/farmed. The two met in Dauphin, went to school, wedded there and built there first home. Coriandre was born there so it will be a trip down memory lane for sure.

Must away as late night revelers are beginning to yawn and stretch and I must vacate my "office" at the breakfast table, making room for those with overhangs and the need for the soppage of Dusty's flap-jacks after the on-going tipplage of the evening. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Photos taken in Dusty's garden and elsewhere around yard, on Saturday, before anniversary dinner at Community Hall.

Patrick, Bruno will have to remind you of the family he worked for in Dauphin. Weren't they Durstons, Bruno? I am back in the office :( Not going to last here long today. It feels like I should still be out by the pool. cheers!

I just visited the Durstons East of Dauphin in fall 1975. I was on their farm and in their fields during harvest. My co-worker Denis spent a whole winter on that farm. I met the one son (the rest were girls) on the farm then at his residence near the U of M.

I met the one son (the rest were girls) on the farm then at his residence near the U of M.

Hi Brunello/Chooch! As best as I am able to piece things together, in quizzing Dusty, probably Uncle Bob's farm, Rowan's brother, Dusty's father. Rowan was the youngest of five boys, Ab, Bill, Harry, Charlie. (Not sure of order.) Friend who you knew, if all the lineage is correct, was the grandson of Uncle Bob, and his father was Howard. Dusty can't remember grandson's name but after his Ag degree at U of M he moved to Neepawa and became the mayor at some point. Seale/Cruise/McPhee were some of the other related families in the Durston School District, an 8 mile square area, at the foot of the Riding Mountains, one of the places we will visit. Have decided not to leave until this coming Monday as Clear Lake is usually extremely busy on summer weekends and accommodation might be difficult. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Grogg and Lurch! Told the Gang about the Norwegian Sun and they wanted to know if you could arrange to have the cruise ship redirect to Falcon Lake as we need accommodation badly! Hello from one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Glasgow! Thanks for kind words about Mom's memorial service. Festivities continue. Cheers, Patrizzio!

thanks patrick great pictures.it sounds like a lot of fun,with annie and your dad as the guest of honors.enjoy the next portion ;matt

Hi again Glasgow!

How goes listing your place? Here, social whirlwind continues!
Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Cora Lee about to ride, David, neighbour, in background, with Dusty. Gang on dock at War Eagle this past Sunday.

Hi Giggster! Thanks for kind words about Mom's memorial service. It was a meaningful leave taking, for me, in particular, for both Mom and Dad.

Obviously, upset to hear about your estrangement from Kerry. To be frank, I wondered if "things" were not all that smooth, before we left, as I sensed "something". Anyway, a very difficult time and I hope your relationship will work itself out as best may be, for all concerned. Know that I will certainly do anything you might require in terms of emotional or other support, other than financial! That we'll leave to The Millionaires!!! Onward! Fight!!

Here, festivities continue. Hello from one and all. Cheers, Dear Friend, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!


Hi Jan and Zircon! Trust you are both well. Must apologize for not being in touch sooner but it has been a whirlwind ever since arriving at Falcon, as you can well imagine. Thank you both for the lovely overnight stays! I plan to send along some of the snaps I took when visiting but connectivity here is problematic so I might have to wait until back in Vancouver or elsewhere on road.
Loads to tell about anniversary weekend but that will have to wait. Not a big deal but I was wondering if either of you will be visiting one another before we head back to Vancouver, on August 17th. If so thought you might be able to "amalgamate" items we left behind. Don't worry, if not. If you can stand to have us, we would like to stay in Medicine Hat for the night of the 17th, Zircon. If you won't be there, James, just leave Cora Lee's make-up bag outside your door and we'll sweep by to collect it. Same for wine coolers, Jan, at your place. Thanks. Hello and Fondestos from one and all. Cheers, Dear Friends, Patrizzio!

Wow, thanks for the report. Great pics. I can hardly wait to catch more instructions for 10 Pennies. And I have to check out Istanbul Passage. If you want a serious read (nonfiction) order a sample of Zero Marginal Growth Society by Jeremy Rifkin. 

Tomorrow Jan is off to hike the West Coast Trail getting back just in time to receive her Sister In Law from OZ. The two of them are quickly flying off to Ottawa where among others they will visit Jan's daughter Emily--one brilliant scientist whose teaching and research field is nuclear medicine. I think I know where she got the brains.

Since she has such a complex travel schedule, I am not sure when I am going to get to see her again. Although I will owe Ron Jeffrey a visit soon, and I may sneak a sleep at Jan's even if she is not home. 

You are welcome at my house the night of Sunday Aug 17. I expect an August 18 fly-by at Jan's to pick up other dispersed chattels can be arranged--even if only directions to her leave the errant belongings in her back garage for collection. Keep me posted of your plans. I expect you still have my telephone on speed dial. I am off to Regina Sunday to catch up with a gaggle of cousins whom I haven't seen for about three years. I am sure none of us have aged a bit. Safe Travels

Hi Zircon! Thanks for the speedy reply. Glad you enjoyed the snaps. As I mentioned, I will send along more of stay with you and Jan as soon as I'm able to do so. We thought that Jan was going to be "on the road" when we passed through, back to Vancouver. If you are speaking to her I think just leaving the cooler packs near her front door will be fine. Sorry for the bother. Thank you for the invitation, (Prompted, I freely admit, by the Pushy Freeloaders!), to stay. We will probably want to leave quite early but if you are interested/able to arrange things, it might be fun to play another round of bridge with The Georgia Peach. Of course, I leave it to your consummate judgement.

Cora Lee and Dusty went to the West Hawk Church this afternoon to collect the bids on Dusty's paintings. Not all the bids are in but so far looks like the event raised $1,200 so far. A number of people who have bought paintings have not paid yet so final amount will probably be around $1,500! Aside from anything else, I'm pleased that I won't have to "mule" many of the paintings back to Vancouver!

While Gang was otherwise occupied, I rode to just beyond Rennie and back. [Left cabin and managed to ride as far as the Curling Rink in town when I realized that I wasn't wearing my helmet so had to turn around and return to Fontainebleu! Stats for ride:    ] When I was finally back on the road again, thought I might go to Whitemouth but realized that since this is another 30 km beyond Rennie so I knew I wouldn't have either the time or the energy to do that return loop. Head wind was out of the west and it was ferocious whenever I was cycling into it. Still managed what I felt was a decent, for me, AVG of 23.6 km/hr over 103.07 km. Stats for ride:




Dinner was a royal feast with ribs, (Patti), and wild rice with mushrooms, (Pamela), broccoli salad, (Patti), and Clarisse's Angel Food Cake with whipped cream for dessert. Will need to ride 160 km today although I believe we are off to Kenora to Farmer's Market for most of the day. Finished off the evening, last night, with another silly card game: Up the Creek! Starts out with everyone receiving 11 cards and declaring how many tricks one thinks one can take, once trump is known, turn of a card. Each subsequent round sees a decrease of one card. Bit of a combination between poker and bridge! Travel safely to Regina.  Fondestos from all and sundry. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Thanks for these thoughts Corinne! Paul provided a wonderful quote before I went away and we have sent a tribute to his daughters and are awaiting their approval before publishing on the VPLF site. When the tribute is up on our site we will send the link to VPL Digitial services and to Judith in case VPL and Friends would like to post it as well. Hope you enjoyed FolkFest and had an excellent drive! Jenny









No comments:

Post a Comment