Friday 1 August 2014

Sharktooth Annie's and Jimmy Dunn's Memorial Blues: Friday, August 1st!

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville, novelist and poet (1819-1891) 


Dear Patrick and Corinne I heard from Lisa today the terribly sad news that Lauren's brother has died in Vancouver.  We don't know the full details but it seems he had a fall and hurt his head.  There will be an autopsy and Lauren will come to Vancouver for the funeral.

She is absolutely devastated and I wondered if you could send her an email and possibly offer to befriend her while she is in Vancouver.  She will probably stay with her brother's ex girlfriend but would appreciate hearing from and possibly seeing you both.

Will catch up with happier news very soon. Thanks for all your help and thank God your wonderful efforts managed to get them together. Love Penny xxx

Dearest Penny! What terrible news! How devastating after all the family has had to endure. Our hearts go out to Lauren and her parents. Unfortunately, we are in Winnipeg at the moment and won't be back in Vancouver until August 19th, so I'm afraid we won't be there to offer any emotional support, at least directly. I assume Lauren will be flying to Vancouver in the next little while. If this is not the case, of course we will do everything we can to help her through his agonizing time, should we overlap in Vancouver. I will certainly send her a message of condolence and explain things with respect to our travel dates. Should she need a place to stay she is welcome to our place. I would need to know as I would ask Michele/Wayne to arrange keys, etc. Let me know. Although I realize they do not know each other, I know they would offer her much needed comfort and support. Let me know as soon as you yourself know more.

In fact, we are having a gaveside memorial service for my Mom at noon today. Corinne will drive in from Falcon Lake, with her parents, this morning. We planned it this way as all of the extended Durston family will be here to celebrate Clara's/Dusty's 69th wedding anniversary. These festivities will take place, at Falcon, over Saturday and Sunday of our long weekend.

Hard to continue as if nothing has happened and the world is still the same. However, must soldier on. Trust everyone is well. I've included the following, more to explain why were are in Manitoba so you can certainly disregard, given circumstances.
Sincere condolences to everyone. Fondestos to all the Gang and Madcap. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Penny! I just realized that I don't have Lauren's email address. Could you ask Lisa to send it to me. In this quirky world of Facebook and LinkedIn, I think we've corresponded that way in the past. Don't really wish to do so given her brother's almost unimaginable death. Love, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick Here is Lauren's email and her American phone number.  Let me know how it goes and thanks so much for everything. Penny xx

Dearest Lauren! I only found out this morning about the terrible news of your brother's death! How devastating after all the family had overcome to be finally reunited. Our hearts go out to you and your parents. Know that we grieve with you and for you all.

Penny did not supply me with any details and perhaps it is far too early to know about funeral arrangements. Unfortunately, we are in Winnipeg at the moment and won't be back in Vancouver until August 19th, so I'm afraid we won't be there to offer any emotional support, at least directly. I assume you may well be flying to Vancouver in the next little while. If this is not the case, of course we will do everything we can to help you through this agonizing time, should we overlap in Vancouver. Should you need a place to stay you are more than welcome to our place. I would need to know about dates, etc., especially if we are not back from Manitoba, as I would ask our very close friends and neighbours, Michele/Wayne to arrange keys, etc.  Although I realize you do not know each other, I know they would offer you much needed comfort and support. Let me know as soon as you yourself know more but you are certainly welcome to stay, should you need to do so.

For our part we had a graveside memorial service for my Mother at noon today. She died two years ago but we planned the celebration of her life at this time as all of the extended Durston family are here to celebrate Clara's/Dusty's 69th wedding anniversary over Saturday and Sunday of our August long weekend.

Again, our sincere sympathy to you Lauren. Ayn, Pierre and Alex are here and also send their condolences, as do
Chloë, Corinne and I. Love, Patrick. 

Stamp: Canada Post

Pabulum

MEANING:
noun: Bland intellectual fare: insipid or simplistic ideas, entertainment, writing, etc.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin pabulum (food, fuel, fodder), from pascere (to feed). Ultimately from the Indo-European root pa- (to protect or feed), which also gave us food, foster, fodder, forage, pasture, pantry, and companion. Earliest documented use: 1661.

NOTES:
Originally pabulum was something that nourished. During the 1920s, three Canadian pediatricians developed a bland, soft infant formula that was later marketed under the brand name Pablum and eventually the words pabulum/pablum came to refer to things simplistic or banal.


Hi Guys, We are home sweet home. It was lovely to see you all again. Thank Clara and Dusty again from us for their hospitality. So I am sure you are all very busy with a full house now. Have fun!

We faced three violent rain and thunder storms on the way home in Michigan, Ontario and Quebec. It was even a little scary at times with the RV swaying violently. But we delivered it without incident.

I have to get cracking on my Masters now. I may come out of my hole next December! See you and have a fabulous rest of summer. Ciao! Carol xoxo




Thanks for news... 'when things settle down..." is an unlikely time frame at your pace. Not sure I told you my revised travel plans - I'm flying straight into Florence, down to the language school in Lucca for 2 weeks, then about a week travelling .before flying to YVR from Rome.  Tell Trevor thanks for the offer of meals and laffs, some other time I hope.



Bungalow rebuild coming on, kitchenette nearly fitted, walls extended and windows in place.  Indoor access to the bathroom nearly complete, wiring in place, no fittings yet.  It'll be comfortable with its own bathroom, hot water supply, air conditioning/heating, deck and TV.  Waiting fur y' t' comon down.



Too bad about the car, mebbe you need one of Matthew's electric Benzs.  Did I tell you I spent $nearly $9,000 on my common rail diesel this year - total engine replacement, nearly caused me to cancel travel plans.  I bough the bloody vehicle thinking I would drive it until the day before I died, I nearly died first. See you just before Thanksgiving.   Love to everyone. S.
Up at 7:30 am to shower before Chloë. Enjoyed a mug of java while she was in the bathroom. We had to collect a friend, Jim, from university, who was attending memorial, (It was scheduled to start at noon), at around 10:00 am, so we had to leave about 9:30 am to get to North End of Winnipeg where he lives. Once Jim was safely aboard, (He suffered a stroke a number of years ago so he uses a walker.), we made our way towards Chapel Lawn, on the westernmost edge of Winnipeg, stopping to buy carnations, en route. Next to the home of Vera Keys, a very close family friend. She and her husband, Merv, met my parents in 1945 at a mine site in Northern Manitoba, and remained lifelong friends. Vera is an amazing individual. She just turned 92 and golfs nine holes twice a week! In fact, she is far more mobile than Jim!

At any rate, we arrived at Chapel Lawn at around 11:15 am to find Cora Lee and her parents there already. Other attendees pulled into parking lot shortly thereafter and as it was a gorgeous, sunny day, I made introductions, in a shady area, as many people had not met before. We had arranged to have the minister, Karen Toole, from Clara's/Dusty's church at West Hawk, conduct service so as soon as she arrived a staff member from Chapel Lawn led the convoy of cars quite close to the grave site. A short walk, on a paved sidewalk, and we were soon assembled.

Ceremony went exceedingly well. Ayn, Pierre, Alexander, Chloë, Vera and Corinne all read, at different points, and after Pierre and Alex placed the container, (a lovely cedar box Dusty had made earlier this week), into the earth, Karen completed the interment and I spoke. It was particularly important to me to say some words about my Father as when he died, in 1966, funeral rites were far different, at least in Canada, than they are today. Then, family and friends really didn't have an opportunity to participate in the service or at least speak about the deceased.

The service, although structured, was quite informal, and there were many quite amusing stories told about both Mother and Father, as ceremony proceeded, so there really was a feeling of joy and celebration about both their lives. Once Karen concluded service, everyone came forward and dropped a flower onto the box containing Mom's ashes. All in all, a very fitting way to commemorate my parents and their full, exciting lives. For my part, I certainly appreciated having all the friends and family to share closing of this circle.

Had arranged for a luncheon to follow, at The Keg, (Would have preferred a non-chain, someplace like Edibles but given timing, location, etc., this was probably best possible choice.), really not far from Chapel Lawn, and we all gathered there, close to 1:00pm. We occupied two long tables in a part of the quite large restaurant, (We'd never been here before.), that we had, essentially to ourselves, so that worked out nicely. In fact, food was really very good and quite nicely presented so pleased about that, of course. Had three bottles of white wine and some chose beer or mixed drinks. I moved around tables visiting with those people I knew I wouldn't probably see before we left for Vancouver.

Around 3:00 am we said goodbye to everyone. Cora Lee and Chloë took Vera in Durston's car as they were off to Costco for more provisions for weekend before coming back to Falcon. Clara and Dusty came with me and we drove Jim home before returning to Pam's/Greg's to collect Chloë's bags as well as my own. We hit highway back to Falcon by 5:00 pm but it took far longer to reach Falcon than it normally would have done, thoroughfares completely choked with start of long-weekend traffic. At any rate, we finally pulled into Ace Bay by 6:30 pm.

Pamela had cooked two turkeys earlier that afternoon so there was plenty to eat. People sat outside, in screened in tents, or inside cabin, and visited and ate and chatted and tippled. Lovely evening after a full and moving day. Fondestos to you and Gayle. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Memorial Service; Clara and Dusty at 18!

No comments:

Post a Comment