Friday 3 October 2014

Olga Polga Blues: Friday, October 3rd!

As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests. -Gore Vidal, author (1925-2012)

White, Heat, Light

"The sun rises and sets, but we make lights of our own. Three sharp vignettes by a veteran avant-garde director… with a sci-fi punch line." — Tony Rayns

Hello Everyone! Congratulations on your new job, Zoe! Wonderful news indeed! Sorry that it means no hols with Mom but I'm sure you'll be able to take an even grander trip, at some point in the not too, too distant future, with all the extra cash you'll be pulling in!!!

Wonderful to see you, Kathleen, and meet Eileen, as well, of course. Thank you for the delicious cake and tasty wine. Much appreciated. Hope you both made it home without incident!

Look forward to seeing all of the above when The Italian Connection finally hits town! Cheers for now, Patrizzio! Pics: The Goils!


Ow

"Ow is an amusing translation of the Japanese title Maru (= “Zero”), but it could equally well represent a cry of pain. Something very strange happens in the suburban home of the Suzuki family one morning. The jobless son Tetsuo is sleeping late, as usual, and his girlfriend Yuriko is trying to make him get up when Tetsuo’s father suddenly returns home… to confess that he was fired from his job a month ago. But while all this is going on, a mysterious sphere appears, hovering in the house’s upstairs room. It seems to stop time and scramble the brains of everyone who sees it. Could it be a cousin of 2001’s monolith? A clumsy attempt by the police to investigate leads to tragedy, and so it falls to the intrepid reporter Deguchi to find out what’s really going on.

Suzuki Yohei’s brilliantly original debut feature restores your faith in indie cinema. A sci-fi mystery with a political kick, it offers a range of indelible characters and bizarre situations with implications that are not only domestic but also national… and maybe even cosmic. Remember all those stories you’ve heard about Japanese society being in stasis? Here at last is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Wow!" — Tony Rayns

Hello The Naramata! Trust everyone is well. Had a wonderful evening with Kathleen and her sister, Eileen, last night. (We'd not met before so it was terrific to get to know her a bit.) Caught up on busy lives. Stefano is due to hit town this coming Tuesday so hope to have both of them back as soon as we can schedule busy lives. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi TC! Trust you are well! However, just in case "things" don't work out with Jane, I thought I'd send along the following....Great that she isn't an alcoholic and doesn't want a "perfect" man! What more could one ask for? Also, a good correspondent as this just arrived as well....Anyway, I'm sure you won't need to contact her but just in case!
 

Must away as I'm to ride at 7:30 am with Illya, son of a neighbour upstairs. Perhaps he passed along my email address to Olga! Or was it Misha? Kurt? Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Gail and Jack! Trust you are both well! Where are you? Coincidentally, with respect to your message on Australia, had a wonderful evening with a friend, Kathleen, from Melbourne, Wednesday night.  She was in Library School with Cora Lee. Must away as I'm off to ride shortly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, We will both be fine and home from October 8 onward. I might use the following three weeks to build up my scotch drinking capability. Be reasonable, and come as you originally planned. Mike

Hi Michaelo! Delighted to hear you will be in training for malt appreciation and consumption!

Very kind, of course, of you both to host three Canuck ragamuffins. Not that we don't want to stay but I just thought it might be a bit much, given timing, your nasty cold, etc. Anyway, it goes without saying that we are more than pleased to accept your generous invitation. Will probably be knocking on your door, somewhere between 3:00 pm-5:00 pm, depending on border, traffic and when we actually manage to leave, on Monday, October 27th! Will be in touch closer to that date just to make sure everything is fine for stay.

Let me know if you have any preferences for malt. I know you have leaned towards Cardhu in the past. Anything other than this? Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks again for putting up with me as well as putting me/us up! Fondestos to The Blonde Bombshell! Cheers, Ever Reasonable Patrizzio! 


Patrick, Good to hear that you are coming. When we were in Germany, we had some Jura. That or anything similar would be good. We still have some Cardhu here as well. Best wishes, Mike

Hi Big City Birthday Boy! Trust you are enjoying hobnobbing with elite in Seattle! With respect to dipsy-doodling to New Hampshire, I had a note from Glasgow and he wondered if we'd be back by November 5th. I'd like to keep to schedule as outlined above but before I talk to Glasgow would like to know your feelings and/ or timetable. With respect to Portland, I've been in touch with Michaelo and he and Marilyn would like us to stay so I guess we won't avail ourselves of the Beaver Dam, at least on way south. Thanks, nevertheless, for sussing out alternative, potential accommodation. Perhaps we should mule sleeping bags anyway, to have if we need to sleep in a dtich somewhere!

With respect to Sunday, will you have room for coffee table in your truck? If so, let me know and we can figure out how best to have it collected. Saw three unbelievably powerful films yesterday, all dealing with difficult, difficult issues.

Up at 6:30 am this morning as I thought I had a date to go riding with Ilya, young man who lives in our building. Met him when he was on UBC Swim Team. Just back from a number of years in Brazil with his fiancée, a very attractive Brazilian woman, who is preparing to write the exams which will allow her to practice dentistry here in Canada. At any rate, we had arranged for him to knock on our door at 7:30 am. Waited until 8:15 am but he never showed so I'm not quite sure what happened.

At any rate, I knew I was going to head out, solo, or otherwise, the forecast being such a good one. Made my way to UBC as I had decided I'd return to Iona. Bit annoyed with my Garmin as odometre didn't pick up a satellite until I was near Cornwall. Since I was intent on a 100+ km ride I knew I'd have to make up the unrecorded 3-4 km or else ride wouldn't be "official"! Did this by doing three or four dipsy-doodles in the largest parking lot along Spanish Banks.

Marine wasn't too, too busy and not nearly as many large trucks as I feared there might well be. Took CSTB into Richmond and wind wasn't overly strong. Had it at my back on way out to Iona although it became more of a cross-wind closer to Stink Island! Had 50 km on the clock by the time I turned around in parking lot there. This being the case, I determined to dipsy-doodle along the YVR service road before heading back to River Rd. I planned to return via Marine and knew that if I had cycled roughly 70 km by the time I was back at CSTB, I'd clock 100+ km once home. Needed to keep on River Road past #5 Road, where it turns into Frontage Rd. Cycled as far as Knight Street Bridge and then turned around, well set for return run.

Had thought that I'd have the wind at my back for most of the remaining route but, of course, the wind's direction had changed and so I had to fight it pretty much all the way back to The Heartbreak Terrace! Still, not to fierce a blow and conditions were, otherwise, wonderful for cycling, although shortly after 11:30 am temperature dropped quite noticeably as sun was obscured by some fairly heavy cloud cover. Was glad I had worn a light vest. Very pleased with results as my first longish ride since I started my VIFF shifts. Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/604671686#.VC8T-nKLVVg.email

Quiet evening ahead, I trust, as we've both scads of things to do, here, and in The Annexe, to be ready for next round of Ozzie Freeloaders! Enjoy your weekend. Talk anon. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Local wildlife. We spit on bird watchers at Iona!


Hey, my hold on Decoded just came through. Am I late? Never too late to pay the NRBC Piglet, Dermot! 

Hi Sid! Grand to bump into you! Thanks for tip on Corbo as well as Una Vida. Hope to see latter if I can manage busy schedule.Saw three unbelievably powerful films yesterday, all dealing with difficult, difficult issues. (I assume you can read about films from program guide.) First, a short, The Lion's Mouth Opens. Shown next, following the above, New Boobs. Third was Rekorder.

All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Thanks for this. These films sound amazing! I did manage to get a ticket for Miraculum for Monday Oct. 6 at 4:45 p.m. I will also see whether the others will be shown again.

I saw ’Living is easy with eyes closed (Spain)’ today which I really enjoyed. I found ‘Riot Club’ too gruesome. I also enjoyed ‘for king and country’-beautifully shot and great acting. Let’s keep in touch. Best, Sid


Patrick, I don't have an email address for Corinne, so please share this with her Patrick. Corinne, I received this email regarding our tickets to Educating Rita so thought I would forward it to you seeing as you have the tickets.  I hope you get to enjoy the play.  We have seen it and really enjoyed it in years past. Cheers, Dawn 

I have not yet asked Barbara or Elise about your lodging; they are both currently out of town. Darn and sorry. Will take it up with each when they return. Elise is down in Los Angeles, Barbara farther away in space and time in Venice (the real one). Cactus
  • Patrick James Dunn Perhaps we should keep going east when we leave Berkeley for Calaveras!

  • David Kessler Who is in the caravan? I'm still working on finding a nest for you. How many???
  • Patrick James Dunn Just two, Glasgow and I! Whirlygig will be staying in SF until Monday morning when we head to Calaveras! Thanks, Mother Hen!
  • David Kessler Would that be Sarge?
  • Patrick James Dunn No, Glasgow is Glasgow and would not be very happy to be considered a Newfoundlander! He does, however, enjoy malt as much as Sarge and indeed, you, Cactoosian!
  • Ilya Brotzky
    Hey Patrick
    Just saw your post
    How about we go Tuesday morning? Say 730?
    Around Stanley park
  • Sunday
  • Patrick James Dunn
    Patrick James Dunn


    Would have to be on Monday, at some time, as I've a VIFF shift on Tuesday morning. should be free from Friday on. Let me know. Cheers!
  • Sunday
  • Ilya Brotzky
    Ilya Brotzky


    Friday works!
    730? I'll knock on your door
  • Thursday
  • Patrick James Dunn
    Patrick James Dunn


    I'll be ready! See you at 7:30 am. Look forward o catching up as well as riding together! Cheers, Patrizzio!
  • Friday
  • Patrick James Dunn

    Patrick James Dunn


    Are we riding or not? I'll leave by 8:15 am unless I hear from you.
  • Today
  • Ilya Brotzky
    Ilya Brotzky


    Patrick sorry about yesterday.
    I should have messaged you. Have not been feeling well. Does next week work?
  • Patrick James Dunn
    Patrick James Dunn

    Sorry to hear that you were not feeling well. No never mind as I had a great solo ride out to Iona. Stats for ride: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/604671686#.VC8T-nKLVVg.email Let me know which days might work, this coming week. We have good friends, Claire/Greg, from Brisbane arriving on Monday afternoon and I plan to take them on Seawall to Stanley Park, etc., so perhaps we can dovetail a ride or two with you. I'm sure you'd enjoy meeting them and vice-versa. Flamin' and Sarge, Cora Lee and I stayed with them in 2012. We met in 2010 on a canal boat trip, Canal de Nivernais, near Chablis, and environs, southeast of Paris. Elly and Tony, other couple, travelling with them, from Gold Coast, were here in May. Let me know. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment