Sunday 26 October 2014

The Tie That Binds Final Strike Blues: Sunday, October 26th!

I cannot walk through the suburbs in the solitude of the night without thinking that the night pleases us because it suppresses idle details, just as our memory does. -Jorge Luis Borges, writer (1899-1986) 


Language is a form of human reason, which has its internal logic of which man knows nothing. -Claude Levi-Strauss, anthropologist (1908-2009) 

Up at 5:40 am to get a bit of head-start on what I knew was going to be a very busy, very full day. Last VWF volunteer shift at Performance Works, from 4:30 pm to 9:30 pm, and last opportunity to pack and get car ready for road trip to Californiay with Glasgow and Whirlygig, Monday morn

Following a message from Meghan, Assistant to the Volunteer Manager:

Hi Patrick, I'm sorry for the short notice but we have space available at event #79 A Conversation with Dinaw Mengestu at Studio 1398 this morning at 10am and we would love for you to come enjoy the show! Meghan

I decided to take in session even though I had planned to spend most of the morning packing. Nevertheless, knew I'd just have to be more organized when I returned. Truly glad that I attended A Conversation with Dinaw Mengestu: "Born in Ethiopia, American author Dinaw Mengestu is a literary star. At 36, Mengestu has garnered an impressive list of accomplishments. He’s been named one of The New Yorker’s “20 under 40” gifted young writers, received a National Book Foundation’s “5 under 35” Award and, in 2012, he received a MacArthur Foundation Genius Grant. 

He has written three novels, including the acclaimed All Our Names. Like his two previous novels, this is a story about finding out who you are in a new world. Mengestu is a thoughtful and hard-hitting chronicler of the African diaspora.Join him in conversation about his new book, his ever-present themes of dislocation and reinvention, and what it means to be a young, African-American writer making a big splash in the book world."

Another brilliant, scintillating mind, inside a humanist, par excellence. His reading was wonderfully moving, revealing his principal characters in but a few pages. He is passionately committed  to his craft and its possibilities and articulates this so lucidly that one has one's intellectual breath taken away. And to think that I might have missed hearing such a staggering talent. Thanks Meghan! 

Peter Edwards
  • Patrizzio! what is your social calendar looking like this upcoming week? Back in the hood!

  • Patrick James Dunn
    Patrick James Dunn


    Hi Pedrito! What a drag! Timing is off as I'm off, shortly, to California. Cora Lee will be here so please give her a call as she'd love to connect. I'm back on November 7th if you are still around. Do hope we can connect! Pic: Last Thursday with Sjón, first Icelandic author at VWF. Truly remarkable individual. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Stefano! Sorry that it has taken me a bit to send along these snaps. Have had a wonderful time at VWF since saw you on Wednesday last. Must away as I'm off, shortly, to my last shift at Performance Works. Leave tomorrow for almost two weeks of wine tasting/biking in Sonoma, Calaveras, Amador and El Dorado counties. Halloween weekend in Berkeley so should be fun. Hope to ride over Golden Gate, weather permitting. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Ellroy and friends! 

hi pat, we are in our final throws of tourism, that is paying bills and packing and looking forward to about 24 hours of travelling. 6 hour layover in LA. due to my poor planning. The ride across the bridge was simple and the bike trail from the pier area was straight forward with only a small climb on a road to get the bridge itself we hired bikes in the pier area, the bikes were ok. 

we rode to Sausalito and caught ferry back to SF quite good and reasonably cheap. tho you could ride quite a bit further on the other side of the bridge. our ride was about 5-6 miles if that tho a good way to have look around. there are plenty of bike lanes in SF tho if you want to ride about tho as you know just a little hilly in places..
 

well we are off and looking forward to being home again Claire has more interesting work to do and I have some steel work to do for Wayne and I have a sculpture in mind for you. cheers from greg and claire

Hello Fellow Packers! Just a quick note to thank you for the helpful tips about cycling over Golden Gate. Just back from my shift at Performance Works. Went very well as the Strike Crew worked diligently and we had everything cleaned up and put away in a couple of hours.

Once home I went downstairs to say hello to Clan Sutherland.
They spent the weekend with Sarge's best friend, Wayne Connors, in town from St John's,
touring and wine tasting, in Yakima, Washington. Took down a bottle of Coffaro, 2009 Escuro, 15%, one of the ones Whirlygig muled back from my stash in Portland, two weekends ago. We will "attack" the three remaining bottles tomorrow evening as Portland is our first sop on the junket south!
 

Mme. Coriandre sends along Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. Travel safely. Must away to finish packing. Chat soon, I trust. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Am intrigued by "steel work" and "sculpture"! Pic: Mr Fixit, Prince Valiant, Sarge!
 
Pat is in San Francisco for the Giants games and will be home on the 28th BUT there will probably be a final game 7 in Kansas City on Wednesday evening when you are here SO we probably should have pizza on the 30th, otherwise Pat and I will be glued to the game on Wednesday...............Dave

Hello Baseball Fans! Just a quick note to say that whichever night suits is poifectly fine with us. Mme. Coriandre sends along Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. Watch the World Series safely. Must away to finish packing. Chat soon. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Mr Fixit, Prince Valiant, Sarge!
Hi, Patrick - Eleven volunteers are scheduled for the Sunday afternoon strike.  Barb and Alba, front of house managers and a few Production volunteers also help strike.  Heideh would like one strike volunteer assigned to help her in the kitchen.  See you on Sunday.  CathyA

Hi Cathy! Just a quick note to thank you for the lovely bouquet! Corinne sends along her thanks, as well. Must away to finish packing. See you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Big Al: Just back from my shift at Performance Works. Went very well as the Strike Crew worked diligently and we had everything cleaned up and put away in a couple of hours.

Forgot to mention anything about canceled malt evening. Fine with me as I'll just be back from California so I can probably do with a bit of not doing anything for a bit. Thanks for invitation to cabin. I'll talk to Cora Lee when she is home. I don't know what social engagements we might have.

Off to finish packing so will say goodbye for now. Hope to be in touch while On the Road! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Patrice, Glad to hear of that great panel you were able to take in, what a great experience to see ones writing legends in the flesh and be able to talk with them! .
I hope you have safe and fun travels down South . Give my best to Whirlygig and look forward to hearing about your adventures.  Let.me know if you guys are able to come up to the cabin the weekend of the 8th. Cheers, Al 

Hi Patrice, Glad to hear of that great panel you were able to take in, what a great experience to see ones writing legends in the flesh and be able to talk with them! I hope you have safe and fun travels down South . Give my best to Whirlygig and look forward to hearing about your adventures. Let.me know if you guys are able to come up to the cabin the weekend of the 8th. Cheers, Al
Chloe Alexis Dunn
I love being an Aunty, snuggling is the best way to spend a Sunday night.

Hello again, Cabin Fever Kids! Mme. Coriandre, just back from last VWF event at the Stanley, sends along Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. She will be in touch about November 8th. Must away again to try to finish packing! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Wayne Sutherland Two months have gone by since my heart attack. I am back to feeling almost 100 percent. I have started to exercise as part of the health heart program at St Paul's hospital two days a week and the nurses have told me that I can start exercising more often which I will do. I spent the weekend with my best friend Wayne Connors and my darling wife Michele Darrow-Sutherland in Yakima Washington touring and wine tasting. Nice to be alive and feeling healthy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment