Sunday 30 November 2014

Grey Cup Steel Town Blues: Sunday, November 30th!

There are times when we must sink to the bottom of our misery to understand truth, just as we must descend to the bottom of a well to see the stars in broad daylight. -Vaclav Havel, writer, Czech Republic president (1936- ) 


The greatest masterpiece in literature is only a dictionary out of order. -Jean Cocteau, writer, artist, and filmmaker (1889-1963)

Pretty chilly here this morning and looks like it will be so for most of the day. I might go over to the gym later but I plan to spend much of the day reading The Island of Crimea, by Vassily Aksyonov, the next NRBC, (Non-readers Book Club), selection. 

Fairly heavy going fiction as I don't have a lot of the political/historical background that work is based, to a large extent, upon. Did find, however, last night, after we'd tidied up a bit, that I was beginning to make more sense of plot and main character, Andrei Luchinov. Perhaps I need to drink Long Table Texada , (a wonderful small batch distillery at the foot of Hornby St, just across False Creek from GI Market), Vodka while reading. Or Truth Vodka from Libery Distillery, right on GI itself. Perhaps both! Cheers and Na Zdorovie from Iro-Ukrainian Patrizzio!

Molto grazie, Patrizzio. Marionita Buon Pomeriggio Marionita! Happy Christmas to you and Scullion Bill from Patrizzio!
 

Hi Kids! Lovely to chat, Big Al. Are you now snow-shoeing?  Cheers to you both, Patrizzio! Pics: Mr Blockhead from Brisbane "friend" Greg!

Hi Patrick, I was exhausted just reading about your busy day. You and Corinne are admirable for taking on such a big job as the Xmas tree lot.

Just had a call from my riesling partner Pete Neilans. He is home from a Caribbean sailing vacation, sporting a cracked pelvis that he suffered toward the end of their trip – slipped in the galley while pouring drinks. Anyway, tomorrow I’m going to rack the 2013 batch and we’ll have a taste at the same time. Cheers from -15C Naramata. Peter


Hi Racking Wine Man! Sorry to hear about your friend and his cracked pelvis. Nasty! If he's been drinking more rum he's had slid down instead of falling! Anyway, I trust he will have a full recovery.

Just back from watching the Calgary Stampeders win over the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Bit of a barn-burner in last few minutes. Bit of a barn-burner in last few minutes as you may know, if you watched the game. Enjoyed a delicious dinner of Clara's fab chili with her home-made biscuits. Joanne joined us and contributed a lovely kale/cabbage salad. Clarisse's banana cake with decadent cream-cheese icing for dessert. Chloë popped in just before we started to eat so she joined us as well. After lovely meal she and I went to our patio and I trimmed the trunk of her tree. We had brought it home with us yesterday as she was going out for dinner after Tree Lot shift was over.
 

Once I'd helped her put it in her car she made for home to decorate it. I came upstairs and ran off final draft of Durston's Christmas letter. Before I went next door to the Annexe, I popped downstairs to say hello to Clan Sutherland. While there I snapped a picture of the "curler" a small metal sculpture that Greg, from Brisbane, had sent them. He curled with them one night when he and Claire were visiting. He really has a delightful way of capturing such activities. He sent me a similar sculpture, one of a cyclist. Not sure if I sent you a photo or not.

Time to return to The Island of Crimea. Am quite enjoying it now and making fairly decent progress. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Curler; Grey Cup Madness!


P & C, Thanks for inviting us to join the birthday party Saturday. With regret we must miss the celebration. Carlos has absconded to New Mexico to play in the Kiva (with Gord Pybus -- I am too young - so they say). And he has left his dog, Luna (Bunedoggle), in my care AND we will be out at Ukiyo for the weekend. We are hoping we can do something to celebrate with you guys later in the month, knowing your social calendar will be wide open... Jane leaves for La Belle Province on the 21 December.

FYI: The Casper Invitational (Imitational) is scheduled for Saturday, 20 December. Play starts in the morning and I am not sure what all is scheduled. You may want to join us at some point that day to revel with the lads?

I may have left a red scarf on your couch when we visited. I know you may be tempted to give it away to Ray to make hankies out of... If so, perhaps that is a good use for it.
 

Amira and I are headed to Ukiyo in the morning tomorrow. Jane is coming out Thursday evening. Jane and I return on Sunday evening. Fond regards, W & J
Hi Fionda and Giggster, Slippery Folk Extraordinaire! Too, too bad about you "Unable to Commit People" not being free to make my boithday bash but not too, too disappointed as you both drink too much booze anyhow! Furthermore, Little White and Ricardo have invited themselves to my party and will stay overnight, now that Murphy has been abandoned, for greener, more exotic/erotic pastures, so to speak! Yes, your red scarf was here but we drenched it in Tiroler Marillen Likör yesterday and set it afire, on patio, for reasons which will become abundantly clear should you read on!

Coriandre just left for Heartwood for the afternoon service at 4:00 pm. We'll join Clarisse and Coat Hanger when she's back, to watch the end of the Grey Cup and have dinner with them. From now until about the 23rd of December, I'm On Deck as Emergency Contact for Chloë for ALTLs. If she needs a volunteer I have to be ready at a moments notice to go the tree lot in question. Have Long Underwear Will Travel! (Not quite as cold as in Naramata, where it is -15C, according to friend, Sneaky Pete!) Keep in touch and we'll hope to see you sometime in 2016! Cheers, Dog Biscuits and Na Zdorovie to you both, Il Conduttore!

Hi Patrick, I am glad you enjoyed the small objet d’art. I am never sure whether these things are good or bad Claire constantly tells me they are OK but I pay her to say that. We are back from a one week getaway to Victoria to catch up with friends and relatives. Claire had the week off whilst I worked in Melbourne. Then off to Metung in the South East of Victoria to visit my Brother and his better half. Good time all round young Tony and Elly are travelling across the country at the moment. Well anyway from South Australia thru Victoria and home.

We are back home doing work and play Claire has some contract work to finish up and then I have a few days’ work before the festive season. I am slowly trying to get my head around the great cycling adventure in Europe and at this time given our travel commitments next year I am considering early May and thru June in 2016 this should provide reasonable weather and the shoulder season and so reduce costs a little bit (I am forever the scrooge). 


Tentatively 4 to 8 weeks possibly from Paris heading to the north west possibly to the Netherlands then across Belgium to France and then south to Spain. I will start to think a bit more about it next year I think about 8 to 12 people would make it fun, enough so groups could do things and the whole group collective is not too big what are your thoughts. We only did the usual 20k this morning before Breakfast. Cheers Greg and Claire

Hi Pre-Breakfast Riders! Certainly love the wonderful "objet d'art" and have to keep it locked up as all my cycling mates want to pinch it! So many thanks again. Haven't seen "curler" downstairs but Cora lee said it was fabulous! Everyone's past/current travel seem terrific. Onward to Xmas!!!
 
Couldn't agree more about shoulder season, Scrooge. I'm cut from the same bolt of cloth! Keep in touch about evolving plans. I'm pretty much up for any route you plan. Cora Lee might want to do a bit of ancillary travelling, away from group, from time to time, but we can cross that bridge, so to speak, when trip itinerary starts to gel and you see how many are committed, etc. Cheers and Na Zdorovie to you both, Patrizzio!

Hi Again, We are working away here doing various task to keep the cash rolling in or trickling should I say but it does keep us both happy to be engaged in productive things for the moment. I gotta say 33kph headwinds is as you might say is hard work , well done. Had we been doing that I fear we would have arrived where we started from in reverse. I am pleased the Curler turned up. Great to see you all getting into the Christmas spirit.
 

Good news then about the future ride I now have three and a possible tourist all good. I said to Claire it must be the wine she just whined back. Cheers Greg and Claire

Hi Trickling Cash Flow People! Sorry to hear that the €'s are not flooding in! Perhaps you should charge for your art!!! You really have a delightful way of capturing such activities. Claire has obviously been reading too, too many New Yorker cartoons! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Grey Cup fans, winning QB and our Mounties carrying Grey Cup!


"This week a group of international scientists has confirmed that neonicotinoid pesticides are harming bees, birds and butterflies. Their assessment of 800 peer-reviewed scientific studies confirms that neonic pesticides should be banned.
Thanks Patrick! This info is also very helpful for the boys as they have been asked to research why bees are dying this year.  This will give them more clues and questions to ask. We are launching into the busy weeks leading up to Christmas.  Put the tree up this weekend and will turn the outdoor lights on for Dec.1. Hi to Corinne😊. Hope you enjoy the holiday season! Take Care, Ariane🐠 

Hi Ariane! Lovely to hear from you! Like you, we are entering busy weeks up to Christmas as well. Happy Christmas to our Favourite Kamloopians! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both and the boys. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Chloë's tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment