Sunday 9 November 2014

Return to The Islay Inn Blues: Friday, November 7th!

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork. -Peter De Vries, editor, novelist (1910-1993) 


Thank you to everyone who has registered to volunteer. Two of our lots (Vancouver & Burnaby) are almost completely full! However we still need more volunteers to run the Coquitlam and North Vancouver lots, we also are in need of volunteers at every lot during our opening week (Nov. 28th to Dec. 5th) and closing week (Dec. 18-21). 

Up at just after 7:00 am to have a long, hot shower to help recover from the the more than boisterous and highly alcoholic of the evening before. Upstairs to find that Whirlygig was already there, along with Michaelo. Glasgow and Digitale were obviously the worse for wear and didn't show their faces until rest of us had already had a first cup of java!

Another lovely breakfast by Mistress Marilyn and then we re-loaded Titanium Green, much lighter now that the muled wine was stashed in the wine cellar! After thanking our more than gracious hosts, we hit the road shortly before 9:00 am. 

Traffic was light ans we were soon over the Mighty Columbia into Washington State. I wanted to try to clean-up my desktop so I pulled over at the first Rest Stop and Whirlygig took over in the driver's seat. Was more than pleased to beaver away at my computer as this stretch of the I5 is so familiar that I don't really enjoy it much anymore.

Seemed as if we were in Seattle almost before I had made much headway with filing the plethora of snaps that I'd taken over the course of the trip but had not done anything with. Again, time flew by as I clicked and dragged, and before I realized how far we'd come we were at the border! I had wanted to fill up the tank before crossing but I'd surfaced too late for that, unfortunately, as gas is still so much cheaper in the US. Nevertheless, it was too late so that was that. No trouble at all even though we "pushed" the Duty Free limit with three bottles of wine each.

Managed to avoid worst of rush hour getting through the tunnel as it was around 2:00 pm by than and we were soon on Oak, making for Kits. Dropped Giggster off at Carlos' place as he stows his bike there. Same chap we'd seen on the Monday we left was still working on The Jackal's foundations so I returned the bungee cords he'd kindly given to us to help stabilize bike wheels. Fond farewlells to Whirlissimo and then it Glasgow's turn to be driven home. Few minutes later we were unloading his bike and baggage and more adieus. I was home by shortly after 3:00 pm and so had plenty of time to unload myself. 

Once that was done I took a quick trip to Cheap Thrills as I needed to pick up a few things, (milk for my java and fuzzy water), that I knew Coriandre wouldn't have bought while I was away. Once this errand was run I was back on the road to collect her form downtown, after she'd finished her shift at The Bookmark.

Back home to open a bottle of wine recently muled, Soda Rock Merlot, as we'd invited Clarisse and Dusty over to have a catch-up visit. Lots of fun sharing stories from trip as everyone knew many of the people and places we'd visited. Around 8:00 pm they went back to The Annexe so I had a quick shower and then I made a salad. Together with some overleft we had a very tasty dinner and watched a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad before heading for bed. It had been a busy week for Cora Lee and I was tired, myself, from almost two weeks of carousing! 




No comments:

Post a Comment