Monday 17 November 2014

The Lost Burritos Blues: Monday, November 17th!

We are a landscape of all we have seen. -Isamu Naguchi, sculptor and architect (1904-1988)


P, hope all is copacetic at the Islay Inn. The wood stove is roaring here trying to cope with the sub zero temperatures of late.

I have not been on the bike since CA so I hope you are making up for my slacking. I am in town on Thursday and likely there through Sunday or Monday. Would like to introduce you to the allusive Jane if your dance card is not already full. W


Hello Galiano Slackard! You and Big Al should get together. I wanted him to join me on yesterday's outing, (see below), but he and Marilyn, (aka Colleen), preferred to stay at the cabin, in Sunshine Valley, relaxing in front of the fabulous sideboard, (on loan!), we gave them last weekend, near their wood-burning stove, drinking copious amounts of Booker's, with chasers of Diplomatico! Week's Update follows, as punishment for non-riding! Are you starting another club, NRCC, Non-Riders Cycling Club! Think you'll have plenty of takers from The Peloton!!!

The Horridos Brothers are coming for the night today, up from Everett. I'm off to ellipticize shortly as they called yesterday to say they would probably be arriving around noonish so I wouldn't be here if I went riding. Given the icy conditions I like to let the roads dry up a bit before heading out.
 
An unofficial stamp produced in Germany during WWI
Photo: Wikimedia
We'd love to meet the Allusive Mystery Woman, although we certainly aren't getting our hopes up!  Friday evening would be best for us so if you'd like to come for dinner that would be terrific. We are out for dinner both Saturday and Sunday evenings so if Friday doesn't work, then sometime during the day on the weekend is also a possibility. Let me know what you think and we will plan accordingly. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore! Snap: Latest bike gear for NRCC

Pat, Haven't done much riding for quite some time now other than some local excursions for work and gym. I was out at UBC yesterday and on return took the newly paved road off 16th to St. George's School. It looked quite slippery and the frost was so deep at the sides of the road that it looked like snow. Survived OK and I was reasonably warm until I had to cycle down the hill at 6:30pm (King Ed. at Collingwood to my place). Interested in a ride once it warms up. I've been using the gym most days although I've become extremely busy with teaching. I'll be in touch once the temperature rises a few degrees.
Ray
 

Hi Raymondo! I enjoyed the new paving on Imperial, last Thursday, as well. What a terrific improvement as I'm sure you appreciated. Also, there is now an access road to 16th when one comes up from Marine towards Wesbrook Village, along street bordering Endowment Lands. This way one doesn't have to go to round-about. Good for you if you want a shorter ride when I, (or Giorgio, per esempio), might continue further. Speaking of him, he will be in town on Thursday, for weekend, perhaps until Monday. Be great if we might be able to orchestrate a ride. Once I know his schedule I'll let you know and we can plan accordingly. Talk soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: In Plymouth, Amador County, just before ride. Whirlgig had to tape his handlebars with adhesive he uses for blisters from squash! 



Hi: The Lads just walked in the patio door, laden with Layer Cake, four bottles for Clara, and a bottle of Myers rum for Crusty. At the moment, they are next door visiting. Will be in touch as soon as there is a moment for further quiet reflection. Patrick.  Enjoy the evening with the boys...sounds like they made a lively entrance

Pat, Tomorrow and Wednesday look like the best days for the bike. 7 day forecast predicts rain on all of the other days this week. Ray 

Hi Raymond! I'm keen either day but tomorrow it would have to wait until Los Horridos leave for Everett. I assume some time after 10:00 or 11:00 am. Not sure how that fits with your schedule. Wednesday, I don't have anything on yet. Let me know what you think. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: The Giants! 


Pat, Let's make it Wednesday then. Sometime in the morning would suit me. 10:30 or so? Those boys look massive or is Corinne shrinking? Ray

Hi Raymond! Should be fine for Wednesday. Where would you like to go? If out to UBC we could meet on Point Grey. You decide and let me know. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Last night before dinner, with a Bourbon vs Malt tasting!
Oops! Forgot to attach snaps!    Pat, Yes, Point Grey is fine and out toward UBC etc. Usual meeting place near the new road? Is 10:30 OK? Ray
 

Hi again, Raymond! Yes, usual meeting place, just off Macdonald. I'll probably give you a shout tomorrow morning just to make sure ride is still on. Otherwise, looking forward to catching up. See you at 10:30 am. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Choocheranian and Brunello! You, with your compromised knees, and Big Al should get together. I wanted him to join me on yesterday's outing, (see below), but he and Marilyn, (aka Colleen), preferred to stay at the cabin, in Sunshine Valley, relaxing in front of the fabulous sideboard, (on loan!), we gave them last weekend, near their wood-burning stove, drinking copious amounts of Booker's, bourbon, with chasers of Diplomatico, high end Venezuelan rum! That being said, I am truly sorry to learn of your affliction!

Sorry, I can't give you any advice regarding those joints as I had my right hip replaced. Unfortunately, from what I know, from other friends who have had knee-replacements, the recovery from that surgery is far, far more painful and decidedly more prolonged. For my part, I suffered very little discomfort, if any, post-surgery and other than normal post-op restrictions I was able to do almost as much as I could do two weeks after operation. I can only suggest the standard things: weight loss to reduce bearing load and exercises, (swimming, cycling), which don't place undue stress on your knees. 


On a far brighter note, congratulations indeed, on your new property in Qulaicum Beach! Wonderful, wonderful news and now we can stay with you instead of The Milionaires, in Hawaii, as I scribe, along with Flamin' and Sarge, as you will discover if your "wade" through rest of this "brief" Epistle to La Pocatièrians! Week's Update follows.
 
Must away as I have to help Cora Lee open cabinet Murphy bed she picked up in Parksville this past August. (Another long story that needs to be told when next we meet, face to face! Fondestos from her to you both.Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!


Hi, Corinne and Patrick,  My event last night went well.  Its quite a crowd in my small place - 12 people, though the baby and his parents left before dinner.  A good time. Best wishes, Janet 

Hi Janet! Wonderful that you did drop in and we all certainly enjoyed your visit. Thanks so much for the more than detailed exposition of our itinerary and more. Much appreciated and I know it will be of much, much use in refining things. Plan to send your comments along to Lynne and Peter so that they can have the benefit of your "local knowledge"! Really, very much appreciated.  Glad your dinner went so well. Had a busy day on Sunday, ourselves. Keep in touch. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Snap: Dinner

Hello Deep Freeze People! Trust ice-wine production is going well! Had a surprise visit from Janet Tomkins, our India expert, on Saturday afternoon. She was shopping at GI and popped in. We invited her to stay for dinner and over the course of the evening she and Cora Lee took a look at the itinerary. She sent along the following comments today. I'm sure Mme Coriandre will have much more to say but I wanted to send this along for your perusal as she will be preoccupied fro next little while. 

We are having dinner, next Sunday, with Paul/Joan, Kjell/Jane, hosted by Brenda Petersen, so should be fun. Talk soon. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick. Excellent report on Inja.  It sounds like we're on the right track.  I'm just about to board flight to Kelowna in Calgary airport, on the way home from Madagascar.  Will talk more later this week. Peter

Snaps:  Circle Craft Christmas Market, at CC, this past Friday. Paul Yard with Clan Durston. He is the Executive Director and we knew him back in the late 90's. He and Diane, his wife, were across the back lane when we lived in Kits. Latest bike accoutrement! CL and Diane. She happened to be at Market and we literally bumped into her! Dinner with Janet. The Lost Burritos, aka Los Horrido! Hello Naramatia! Trust you arrived safely, from Calgary, Dom Jugos!

At the moment, Pierre and Alexander are just about to leave to drop by Chloë's office in New West, before heading back to Everett. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Patrice, You were so right it was a wonderful day for a ride!. We opted for the motorized variety up at the Valley and went up to the old ski hill as well as a few other little sightseeing side trips.

Would have loved to have joined you as well as it would have been a great outing I'm sure. I would have liked to see the art project install and meet your artist friends as well. I'll talk to you soon, Cheers Al
 

P.S. I spit on your spitting on my bridge lessons! At least he probably has some patience and doesn't yell... unlike other would be bridge instructors!

Hi Motorized Madman, aka Sensitive New Age Male Who Cannot Take Bridge Instruction/Criticism!

Never thought that you'd give in to the electric motor but that is what AutoBridge does, leads directly down the slippery slope to Couch Potatoehood! Even Robo Man is up for a ride this week. I'm keen but tomorrow it would have to wait until Los Horridos leave for Everett. I assume some time after 10:00 or 11:00 am. Not sure how that fits with his schedule. Wednesday, I don't have anything on yet. Let me know if you might like to join us, either day!


Coriandre is strolling around Granville Island with her grandsons as I scribe. We will have a late dinner as Cora Lee has an important meeting until 7:00 pm. Chloë will come over after work. Boys plan to watch Monday Night NFL with Dusty. The Lads walked in the patio door, laden with Layer Cake, four bottles for Clara, and a bottle of Myers rum, from Trader Joe's, for Crusty. Might have to help put a dent in the latest On The California Road Trip/Peloton muleage! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: The Giants!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment