Monday 29 December 2014

Betwixtness: Monday, December 29th!

The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border. -Pablo Casals, cellist, conductor, and composer (1876-1973)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Prosciutto Bites

50 Ways To Eat Brussels Sprouts All Day, Every Day

Patrick James Dunn Paul Simon ate them before he wrote 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover!

Hello Swedish Twins! Trust you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas! Must apologize for not sending along a thank you message sooner, not only for the wonderful gifts of Linie Aquavit, (Matured at Sea in Oak Sherry Casks, no less!), and the Rain or Shine Mulled Wine ice cream,  but also for attending our Open House!


Roasted Sweet Potato With Brussels Sprouts
Thanks again, Lads, for coming to the Open House and the generous gifts! Be great if we can have another visit before Fjord Man returns to Oslo. Give us a shout and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/659681790#.VKH-6rRGL2w.email


Hi Lynne. Happy Holidays to you and Peter. We are looking forward to seeing you in Palm Desert as well. I have some news. Patrick and I have decided to sell and move to Penticton/Naramata area. Hope you would be too shock by this. I have been wanting to sell for awhile and that is the only area Patrick would consider.
 
Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Chili Sauce
We are in process of finding an agent and have already been looking at houses in the area online of course. But will come up in a couple of weeks with my parents and stay in motel for a night to look at property. I really want a house again. I'm tried of condo politics and living. So maybe if you have time we could have a visit. Off to work in Friends of VPL office. Talk soon, Love, Corinne
 
Hi Corinne--It's way too early for April's Fool Day … so what you're saying about a move to The Naramata must be true. I must say I am surprised but also anticipatory-ish. Could it really be? If you are looking for a good agent who knows the area really well you should get in touch with Craig Henderson and/or Julius Bloomfield. They are part of Team Bloomfield who all work for Royal Lepage in Penticton (www.TeamBloomfield.ca). 

We'd love to see you while you are here searching. Just let us know when you'll be around. Petey should go to the Island at some point before we leave for Palm Desert to visit his brother Bill who had serious hip surgery just before Christmas. Other than that we are chez nous until we leave for PD on or about the 24th. We're planning on taking our time and visiting some friends for a couple of nights along the way. Our rental starts on January 31st. I'm still a bit flabbergasted at your news. Flabbergasted and pleased too, of course. Cheers, Lynnie XOXO

P.S. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with lots of good cheer and good company … as we did. We're mostly recovered now and I actually went to a fitness class this a.m. I feel great now but think I will be stiff tomorrow.
 
Hi Corinne and Patrick, Move to the Okanagan? Are you out of your minds? Think of all the awful things you’ll have to put up with: Money left over after you upgrade from your condo to a really nice house; No traffic; Lots of volunteer activities to get involved in; Gardens that practically grow themselves; Wineries; People to drink whisky with – see attached photo of the gang at the annual Naramata Spirit of Christmas gathering, plus the photo of the hosts of same; Visitors from the Coast; A partner for the Penticton Duplicate Bridge Club (Birgitta will be thrilled!) We’re really excited about this plan – hope it comes true. Peter 
Patrick James Dunn The Rio's bulbs will be refurbished! Bravo to all those who supported this campaign!!

Light Up the Rio Theatre for Christmas! Help us light up East Vancouver by restoring the Rio Theatre's historic neon sign! indiegogo.com


Hi, Patrick: Hope you received and had a chance to look at the photo gallery that I created of the party last Tuesday.  I think that I sent it at almost exactly the time that you sent the message below -- so they crossed over in cyberspace. Glad to hear that you had a good Christmas and a nice Boxing Day ride.

I am still getting over cold bug and have been very low energy, though still managing some pleasant diversions . . . went to see The Theory of Everything.  (Tomorrow: Mr. Turner; Friday: The Imitation Game).   Today:  a 90-minute massage at 5 p.m.!!!!!!  Yesterday: annual Christmas visit with Chilliwack friends, a connection that goes back to library school days in Halifax. 

On the threshhold of the New Year, I am reluctantly anticipating a campaign to recover a healthy weight -- I am the heaviest I have ever been AND have not been getting sufficient exercise.   At the ripe old age of 56 (!!!!) I find that my body is far less forgiving than it used to be. In the summer, I walked home every day, which helped at least a bit, but I gave it up when it started getting dark early (fair-weather walker).   I'd happily bike commute, as the distance to Dunbar is extremely manageable from here -- the problem is that I am really and truly very nervous on the bike.  I am not the most coordinated person and my space-awareness isn't finely tuned.  Maybe when I am more physically fit, I'll be a little less daunted. Meanwhile, I am actually thinking of engaging a personal trainer which, although expensive, would probably be very motivating. 

I am so interested to follow along as you build your itinerary for India.    And as previously threatened, I do have photos from my 2013 trip that you have to see!!!!!   If we can arrange a get-together along those lines in January, I could also get my cutting board and cookie-container at the same time.   (There should also be a baking tray, which I used merely to balance the several items as  I brought them to and from the car). Hope to see you soon.  Happy New Year! Love to all at the Island Inn. Janet



This is mainly Pat's work, I am mainly in the background, watching soccer.
Happy New Year to you all - and lots of HEALTH!!! Amos & Pat
 
Hi Patricio, Thanks again for having us to your fabulous open house! Had a wonderful time and enjoyed seeing the family as well as all the other interesting people on the list of attendees.

Been having a very nice time at the cabin for Christmas as well, Colleen's parents, my Mom and my Dad's cousin Bernice came and stayed at a cabin we rented up the street as we had Maureen and Jeremy staying at our place so there was "no more room at the inn". We had a great Salmon dinner on Christmas Eve and a bounty of various Christmas goodies before after and in between!
Had an interesting day yesterday as I took our friend Steve Street out for an ATV ride and went.out to a beautiful beach area by the River . Unbeknownst to me we.were actually on an ice covered Beaver pond and I crashed through and was up to my waist in the icy water. To make a long story short I spent about an hour and a half wallowing in waist deep ice water with winches and boards to finally free the machine and towed it back to the cabin. I will fill you in more later. 
I hope the scotch is one you like and I will look forward to having a.little taste with you as I'm not sure exactly what that one tastes like. Glad to hear to hear you have been for some good rides and I look forward to getting out on some soon. Take care and thanks again for the great party. Cheers, Al

No comments:

Post a Comment