Sunday 28 December 2014

Pitchfork Penguin Blues: Sunday, December 28th!

Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even. -Horace, poet and satirist (65-8 BCE) 


Hi Janet! Trust you enjoyed Christmas with friends and family. Must apologize for not sending along a thank you message for all the wonderful baking you so generously brought to our Open House, sooner. The poor Gingerbread Boy is slowly being dismembered but seems to have adopted a very stoic attitude to the loss of various limbs! Sadly, your tasty cookies have not fared any better and all our belt buckles need loosening!

In spite of all the gatherings and festivities I did manage a wonderful ride on Boxing Day, after Corinne left for Bellingham with Ayn and Los Horridos. (They left at 11:30 am to make sure they were able to cross border in time for their 2:45 pm flight back to Tinsel Town. All went well but did take them just over an hour to enter US.) By the time I was ready to leave it was clsoe to 12:30 pm so I didn't think I'd be able to log as long a ride as I'd thought I'd might but decided I'd make for UBC anyway and then take Marine to Cambie Sky Train Bridge. With a few dipsy-doodles I knew I could have about 35 km on the clock by then so a reasonable round-trip of 70 km. However, day was so mild that I changed my mind and made for Iona even though, by so doing, I knew I would be cycling home in the coming dark if I choose Marine rather than Cambie on return leg.

So I did just that and was very pleased at the outcome. I was back close to Wesbrook Village as the light was starting to fail. Since I had my LED lights flashing away I wasn't worried on that count. Furthermore, there really was very little traffic so, by and large, I had most of the roads between UBC and home much to myself. I guess many folk were inside enjoying leftovers from Christmas dinner! Anyway, I pulled up at our parkade around 5:45 pm. Mme Coriandre had gone downstairs to visit with Clan Sutherland after she had returned from airport run and I bumped into her as I was just about to put my bike back in the storage room. She had arranged for Clara and Dusty to join us for dinner so we , ourselves, enjoyed the above mentioned "overlefts"! Last night we ate at their place and played quite a bit of bridge over the course of the evening. The Sisterhood were quite fussed as Dusty and I had all of the cards, winning two quick rubbers and then a game before they could take no more punishment!

I have the cutting board on which GBB happily resided until rudely shunted to one of our plates so need to know how to return it, along with plastic Christmas tree cookie container. No reason not to re-use it as it is intact. Not quite sure what weather has in store for us today. Some rain and snow as far as weather forecast predicts so I think I'll head over to FCCC to use elliptical before the four of us head out for dinner and bridge with friends, Susan and Charlie Pitchford, (aka O Susannah and Champagne Charlie Pitchfork!). Other mutual friends, The Penguin and Gladys Knight and the Pips will make up other pair. Should be fun as S/C have their own small travel agency so they distribute all sorts of promotional items, (key chains, note pads, re-usable shopping bags, bath-tub cruise ships, and the like), as bridge prizes. Quite a hoot horse-trading prizes at the end of the evening.

Coriandre just sent a message to Vishal about our revised trip plan so once she hears from him I'm sure she'd like to have you take a look at what he has to say. Perhaps we could even have a meal with bridge, here, if your schedule allows. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks again for coming to Open House and bringing such wonderful desserts. Fondestos from Cora Lee, trying to finish her overdue library book, Tanya French's Secret Place! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Christmas Eve at home and then service at Canadian Memorial; Christmas morning.


Hi, Patrick and Corinne: I hope this finds you well and that you had a happy Christmas!    We had a nice family Christmas -- smaller than usual, as my brother and his family were away in South America.  From my point-of-view, it was an ideal pace,  as the bug that attacked me around the time of your open house subsequently escalated, and  I wasn't feeling at all well through until . . . today, really.

Notwithstanding, I really enjoyed your party -- thanks for inviting me.  Such a diverse and congenial group of friends and family.   It was interesting to catch up with Ayn after so long.  And the last time I had seen her boys was when they were little munchkins.  Not any more!    Good to see Chloe, too, and it was a pleasant surprise to run into Paul and Joan.

I've created a small online gallery here (16 photos): Island Inn Christmas Party.

Adobe online galleries are a really easy way of sharing photos (as opposed to numerous attachments) but the photos cannot be saved or downloaded.  If you send me the numbers of specific photos (from 1-16) I'll be happy to send you the digital files, though. Best wishes and Happy New Year. Love, Janet


Hi Donna Maria and Heraldo! Trust you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas! Must apologize for not sending along a thank you message sooner, not only for the wonderful gift, but also for attending our Open House. Yesterday, along with Clarisse, we took in The Imitation Game and it was superb. See it if you can! Know you two are probably pretty busy but if you have a moment before you head back to Terrace we'd love to see you again.Thanks again for coming to the Open House and the stupendous Port! Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Christmas sweater! 

Hi Marilyn and Big Al! Trust you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas at Sunshine Valley Paradise! Must apologize for not sending along a thank you message sooner, not only for the wonderful gift of malt, Big Al, and heartfelt note, but also for attending our Open House. Great that Maureen could join party! Thanks again for coming to the Open House and the stupendous malt!  Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Sylvia and Raymond! Trust you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas! Must apologize for not sending along a thank you message sooner, not only for the wonderful gift, (Cora Lee and I had a tasty glass of the Reserve Tawny last night while watching the first episode of The Knick with Clive Owen. Have you watched it?), but also for attending our Open House. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Wasn't quite sure what weather had in store for us on Sunday. Some rain and snow as far as weather forecast predicted when I first looked so I thought that I'd head over to FCCC to use elliptical. However, although sky was still fairly overcast by noon it looked like precipitation would hold off until later so I headed out to UBC. Really glad that I did as it turned out to be a lovely outing with even some patches of blue peeking out behind the heavy cloud cover. English Bay was quite calm and I always delight in the freighters against the horizon and the backdrop of the mountains.

Had we not been invited out to dinner and bridge later that afternoon I'd have been content to keep riding until the sun went down but was, nevertheless, pleased with the three hours I'd been out. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/658952494#.VKCTLMzZn9c.email

Home for a quick shower, (Cora Lee and Chloë had gone to see The Theory of Everything and enjoyed it immensely.), and change and then along with Rosita and Dusty, the four of us drove over to the home of friends, Susan and Charlie Pitchford, (aka O Susannah and Champagne Charlie Pitchfork!). Other mutual friends, The Penguin and Gladys Knight and the Pips made up other pair. Was loads of fun as S/C have their own small travel agency so they distribute all sorts of promotional items, (key chains, note pads, re-usable shopping bags, bath-tub cruise ships, and the like), as bridge prizes. Quite a hoot horse-trading prizes at the end of the evening. Mme Coriandre had top score, fitting revenge for night before!


Pat, Many thanks for the invitation to your Open House. Glad the port is to your liking. Traditional to drink in England along with a piece of Christmas cake.
It was good to see Wayne looking in such good health. With his reduction in weight, he might be healthier than he was previously.
 

Managed to get a ride in Christmas Day to Steveston meeting Pete at the bridge past South Terminal. It was quite mild and we enjoyed an easy ride. Once home, old friends dropped in with 3 of their 4 sons which turned out to be a very enjoyable visit. Watched a Christmas card on-line this morning at a friend's house. It was called 'Elf Yourself' and family heads were transposed onto dancing elves - extremely funny. Must look into it for next year.
 

I don't know of the TV shows you mentioned. I never seem to have the time to watch TV other than the odd rugby game. My reading has been quite slow of late with all the social activity. Best wishes to you and Corinne for 2015. Ray


No comments:

Post a Comment