Wednesday 7 January 2015

Foggy Bottom Blues: Wednesday, December 7th

There are years that ask questions and years that answer. -Zora Neale Hurston, folklorist and writer (7 Jan 1891-1960) 


Happy 2015 to you both and thanks for the email and delightful pics! Well when you decide a house move you do it big style! Quite a contrast from Vancouver to the Okanagan. Don't' a lot of millionaires live in that region? Obviously you are very anxious to join the club! You have certainly chosen a beautiful area with stunning scenery and I should imagine super quiet places for hiking and walking which, as you know, both Gayle and I love to do. So expect a visit from us!

Unlike yourselves, we had a very quiet Christmas. Everyone seemed to be either sick or away over the holiday period. It was incredible how many people came down with a flu type bug. Fortunately I got rid of mine before Christmas and Gaye was fortunate to miss it altogether. These Canadians are tough! This meant Gayle and I spent most of the Christmas by ourselves looking after animals! It was, in reality, quite enjoyable. Went to the Cathedral on Christmas Eve to the 'Nine lessons and Carols' service. The Cathedral have wonderful choristers, then returned to a late supper of Tourtiere which Gayle had made earlier. The weather on Christmas day was crisp and clear so we got up fairly early to feed all the animals then after a filling breakfast we went for a long walk. Parked at Chapel Porth then walked over the cliffs to St Agnes and continued through the village towards the Beacon then back down through the fields to the cliffs and back to Chapel Porth. As we were walking along the cliffs a lovely rainbow formed the end of which was very close to us. I went to have a look but couldn't see any gold at the end of the rainbow!

We spent a very enjoyable New Years up in Southampton with Marnie, Ant and Tris and returned home on Sunday. We never got to see Gudrun and Steve over the holidays because of both sickness and conflicting schedules. We were going to get together this week but Gudrun had to go to Germany to sort out her uncles funeral. Long story but the short version is that Gudrun's uncle died just before Christmas. Her aunt couldn't quite cope so Gudrun got her to come to England to spend Christmas with them at Tania and Charles place in Winbourne and then returned with her to Germany on Sunday. She will be there for two weeks. we will catch up with them when she returns.

Not much happening this end. We are still debating wether or not to take a short break in Malta this Spring but can't quite make up our minds!

As I pen this I am looking across to the fields opposite which are full of sheep! Very pastoral scene! Look forward to hearing how your house hunting goes in Naramata. I would imagine your condo should sell quite quickly being in the location it is. Kind regards, Derek

pics: Tris and Mia (Maureen's granddaughter) on way to visit Santa. On our way back to Chapel Porth Christmas day. The rainbow with no gold at the end. Sheep grazing in the field opposite the house. Getting ready for the Carol service at the Cathedral


Arrividerci, Pat and Corinne. I grazie per tutte. Good luck with your house hunting. Hope to see you soon again. Kjell 

Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/668434428#.VK3hGrCHWWA.email

Good morning (or is it good evening for a malt vampire like yourself?) Milady aka the cross-dressing mister of the infamous Islay Inn, thank you and thank you again for yours and Corinne's amazing and neverending hospitality, and fantastic grilled cheeses - please let Corinne know that the brie mix was totally fine and I will start using that mix in my own grilled cheeses actually. I was surprised we made it through a meeting without you resorting to your usual social (and mental) crutch of maltage (I guess anything is truly possible in this world).

I actually have been meaning to check out Long Table since you told me about it at your open house. Would love to join you and the rest of the league of ordinary gentlemen this Saturday. Meet at 1p at said Long Table (although with you in tow they will likely seat us at the kids' table)? I have work at 430p so I might not make it to the chapel for my new year's malt-infused confession, but either way it would be great to see you all on Saturday for some long tabling and libertarian-ism (from what I heard of the Liberty staff, you go there so often that they are considering changing the name to Library Distillery in honour of your former trade and craft). Just keep me posted on the rendezvous time for Saturday, Take care, VL


Hi! How can you even think about moving? Who am I going to ride and visit with when I go to Vancouver? Now I have change my itineraries when I go out West! Selfish thoughts, I know. WOW, I am surprised! You are going to miss your lifestyle, I think. You are obviously ready for a change. I should get Ron to look for a locus in Naramata and we will come live there for a few months. This news definitely needs another phone call. What about everyone in your building, they must be going into shock? Ha Ha. Talk to you soon, thanks for keeping me posted! Love Rhoda Oh yes- Happy New Year - It is -15 C - Burrrrrrrr! Wind chill - who knows - I don't even want to tell you.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment