Friday 30 January 2015

PuSh Comes to Shove Hour of the Wolf Blues: Friday, January 30th!

Books are humanity in print. -Barbara Tuchman, author and historian (30 Jan 1912-1989)

Ingmar Bergman
Hello Concierge and Conciergess! Thanks for cancelling all of your non-plans on behalf of the Pushy Canadian Freeloaders and their plummeting $. We needn't worry about navy showers as our currency is taking a bath!

Glad to hear about weather, at least from the point of view of riding. Are you, Vinnie, interested in cycling over the Golden Gate on Thursday? Not a big deal if not or otherwise engaged but I'd like to do ride.

This evening we are off to see a screening of Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf, at performance Works, just across the way on GI:

Eye of Newt, lead by avant-garde violinist Stefan Smulovitz, returns to Club PuSh with a very special guest. Norwegian vocalist Sissel Vera Pettersen performs in Canada for the first time, taking to the stage to perform with vocalist Viviane Houle to weave a mesmerizing vocal soundscape accompanied by the improvisation of the Eye of Newt ensemble. Their live experimental set is inspired by the palpable madness of Ingmar Bergman’s Hour of the Wolf, described by Time Out London as “a dazzling flow of surrealism, expressionism and full-blooded Gothic horror.”

Guess we'll be drinking Egri BikavĂ©! Cheers, Count Patrizzio! 


I am going to pass on the bridge ride; looking forward to cooking up a fine dinner while you are burning calories!!! Egri Bikaveri for all! Cactus

Bridge Monday on Millbank. Who is in. Patrick please invite Sarge Cheers 2 over 1 Byron No can do – dress rehearsal for Nurse Jane! – if any conventions are invented on that evening, let me know how to avoid them! Clive I'm in DavidT If it should change to Wednesday or Thursday then I am available, but not Monday Tuesday. Available the week after. Cheers, Just because I am unavailable and down south for the next two months there should be no need to “normalise” me. Un-normalised Blues

Hi Sarge!Trust your week in Kamloops has gone well. Byron has asked me to invite you to join lads at his place, on Millbank, about 15 minutes walk along Seawall, towards Cambie. We are off to California quite early that morning. Hope to see you, at some point, this weekend, but wanted you to know about get-together if you are available. Loads of fun so I know you would enjoy evening. Talk later. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Thanks for the invite but I need to pass this Mon as I have another appointment. Wayne S I'm in. Btw, Les there is no way you could be normalized. :) R. I could also make Wednesday! C gents If we reschedule to Wednesday we could include Roger, Clive and maybe Wayne  Anyone prefer that? Cheers Byron 

I could do Wed. Wayne As you know, I can't do Wednesdays. Robert It was not my intention to disrupt Monday, I was offering a contingency in case there were not a four for Monday. Roger I agree! Monday is our regular bridge evening and we should only change it if we can’t raise four. C Gentlemen Since we have 4 for Monday - MrT, Byron, Robert and BigMac we will play on Monday. Any late inclusions are welcome 2 over 1 Byron Sounds quirkily good.

Yesterday's ride would turn you, Dear Howard, into a sleepwalker as it made me look like a gerbil on its caged wheel. For a variety of silly reasons I left my ride until quite late and felt I had no other options, given time constraints, etc. As far as I know, we will be here over Spring Break so do bring your bike. Let me know what the dates might be the better to make sure we can connect. Cheers, Narcoleptic Patrizzio!

P, in fact it is much more redeeming than indentured slavery -- we are disciples of the new free enterprise. We attend the church of the Ferry God Mother -- in an old abandoned BC Ferries ship. Dressed in our beloved BCF unies with the jaunty caps and all -- we worship the beloved Christy in all her glory.

We will be setting up a small tent city outside the Islay Inn to protest the sale and discourage new owners. The Cudgel is feeling conflicted but will be there to provide security and math tutoring for anyone on either side of the ruckus.

As the uncultured football riffraff we will be too amped up on Budweiser to join you for the flic on Sunday. I think the subject of the film may be our former Toronto bookie and taxi service, Lefty. So I am intrigued to see the film.

We will come by to bid thee farewell on Saturday evening at 9 - 9:30 if that is not too late for the weary would be travellers. I am attending the Ferry God Mother service at 5:40 Saturday and wont be in town until 8:00 at which time we will have a quick bite at MacDonalds - our new temple of food.

Praise be to the free market and may the rich get richer. Dog knows they deserve it. Amen. W


Dear Pastor Gideonheimer! I was mightily heartened to learn that you have been saved from your sustainable predilections and have now fully embraced rampant, crass consumerism run amok. I suppose you had to reach rock bottom on Galiano in order to see the Bud Lite, so to speak. Must admit, I had a bit of trouble, at first, understanding your lingo until I realized that you were speaking in tongues. Nevertheless, we await your hellfire and brimstone sermons on Saturday evening and trust we will be cleansed and reborn in the purifying fire of high octane porch cleaner. Hallelujah O My Brothers and Sisters!

Hi Lads! We are busy with viewings and an Open House tomorrow, from 2:00 pm-4:00 pm, so I'm planning a longish ride.  Since I can't really be back home until after 4:00 pm I'd prefer to start sometime between 10:00 am-11:00 am. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi High Wire Man! Wowsers! What a shot, Spider Man! What an exciting project. Congratulations. Am curious to know more and hear all about it. Happy Belated Birthday as well, Big Al! Trust, with all the excitement, you are both well. Let me know if you are interested in riding domani, Big Al. Vittorino and Robo Man may well be along as well. Fondestos and Cheers, Count Patrizzio! 

Happy Belated Birthday Big Al! For He's a Jolly Good Fellow! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Congratulations and Cheers from Cora Lee and Patrizzio! 

Hi Patricio, Thanks for the birthday greetings! Nice for the ecard to be in keeping with something I'm fond of. Would have loved a ride tomorrow but Colleen has a fitness conference in Hope Saturday and Sunday which she is presenting at so we are heading up to the cabin shortly in order for her to be there by 10:00 am. I will take advantage to stay back and work on a few things such as the resurrection of the drowned quad as well as the hot water tank install. I also have to keep on designing some stuff for the B.C. place job so will be fairly busy. I guess I'll have to take a rain check until you get back. Have a wonderful and safe trip south and we'll be in touch soon.. Take care, Al

Hi Squamish Waldorfians! Trust you are both well.  This evening we are off to see a screening of Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf, at Performance Works, just across the way on GI. Guess we'll be drinking Egri BikavĂ©r! Fondestos and Cheers, Count Patrizzio!

Good Luck with the Open House, however the place is so nice I'm it'll sell itself.
Enjoy your trip to California and say a big "Hi" to David and Nancy for us.
We'll be thinking about you as you taste some delectable wines from our favorite state. Ruth


Hi once more, Elena: Thank you very much for pointing out correct area code! Plan remains the same so trust we will be knocking on your door fairly early Monday morning. Cheers, Patrizzio! I'll be ready!!! Have a great weekend,  Elena

Pat, Weather certainly makes for good cycling but I'm busy all day tomorrow unfortunately. Enjoy your trip south. Ray 
Marvin Angelo Mercado at North Vancouver Cleaning the house on a Friday night while my wife is out for girls night. What happened to me....Patrick James Dunn You've got the Vacuum Cleaner Blues, Marvinator! Even a pre-nuptial agreement cannot prevent them. Just open a couple of bottles of very expensive wine and sing, while mopping and dusting and doing laundry : "It's midnight but it's alright cause I've got two more bottles of wine!" Cheers from The Islay Inn Scullion!Marvin Angelo Mercado Hah I just might. How about a 2011 Merlot from Orofino?

Nicole Marie That's my husband 

Patrick James Dunn I wouldn't talk, Nicolina! When I saw you yesterday, on the Seawall, you were lurchin' but managed to keep a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of beer in the other without spilling a drop! It's lucky for you that Marvinator doesn't follow posts on Facebook!

Nicole Marie Hahaha oh yes ... That exactly what I was doing pregnant and all ! I'll have child protection on me soon haha
Patrick James Dunn Yes, you'll have to turn yourself in. You'll be both arresting officer, (Perhaps Kid Chelene and Sarge can help you out with the paperwork.), and the offender! I always thought you had a split-personality Nicolina! 
I started out at 2:30 pm and decided to head out UBC way as I seem to have been avoiding the Foreshore Hill of late. Anyway, began by dipsy-doodling around Olympic Village for first 8 km and then rode Seawall around Science World to Granville Bridge before retracing my route. Then Kits Point with the intention of climbing up to campus. It had been bright and sunny up until this point but a chilly fog rolled in as I was approaching Kits Beach. However, when I reached NW Marine much of English Bay was visible, the five or six freighters not enshrouded were highlighted in sunshine, gleaming beyond belief! Most of the North Shore was enveloped in a blanket of mist and the overall effect was simply stunning, magical, one of the sheers delights of living and riding in Vancouver! Whether by chance or design, a photo shoot was taking place in the parking lot, down from the Spanish Banks West Concession, a curvaceous, scantily dressed blonde was posing in front of two neon coloured, blue and green, Lamborghinis, their "Lambo doors" wings ready to fly into the clouds! What a spectacular backdrop! 

En route, I realized I could do enough loops between the Spanish Banks East Concession and the last parking lot before the Foreshore Hill to give me the necessary distance I wanted. This being the case I passed the on-going shoot a number of times and on my last loop the model was clad in nothing but very attractive, lacy balck underwear. Fortunately, for me there were no stanchions in the vicinity for me to collide with, eyes riveted on the babe instead of on the road ahead! Leaving the Rick and Famous and Nearly Nude behind I streaked for home and was back just after 5:30 pm. Amazing to see how much later the light is lasting now as until 5:00 pm I really didn't need to switch on my LEDs and even after so doing, I could still see without difficulty. Stats for ride:


http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/686287418#.VMw5ZqX1DA4.email

Home in plenty of time to shower and change and then eat dinner, lovingly prepared by Mme Coriandre. We are trying to empty the fridge before leaving for the next couple of weeks so although fare was a bit of a hodge-podge, (back- bacon, yams and Cole-slaw), it was delish! Walked over to Performance Works just before 7:30 pm to meet Joan and Paul Whitney. They had invited us to join them at their VIP table, (Paul is a consultant for PuSh), to attend the screening of The Hour of the Wolf.
Place was very nicely appointed, turned into a bit of a nightclub so it was fun to see the facility in another guise as we are used to it as one of the venues for the Vancouver Writers Festival. We were seated at our own table, off to the left of the stage/screen so very good line of sight. The Whitneys were joined by two other friends, Brenda and Robin. Had not met Robin before so it was interesting to chat with her before film began.
Didn't know this particular, fairly early work by Bergman so that was a treat in itself. Also wonderful to see both the "young" Liv Ullmann and Max von Sydow. Don't think I'd seen them together since The Emigrants. In any event, this film was pretty intense, as I assumed it would be. From my point of view it was a pretty gripping study of an artist and his struggles with his personal and creative demons. The live sound accompaniment was quite something, in particular the stunning voice of Viviane Houle. (At a dinner party there is a puppet scene featuring an aria from The Magic Flute, if I remember correctly, and Houle's voice was simply thrilling!) I'm not sure what the original was like, in terms of soundtrack, but with the English subtitles the work was almost a "silent" film as there really was no apparent, spoken dialogue, as such.
Quite an evening indeed. After the screening Brenda left and we finished off the remaining wine. Believe there was another event later on. We could have stayed but the music was too, too loud for us. I suppose our hearing has not been damaged so we were all acutely aware of the intolerable decibel level! Robin was giving Joan and Paul a lift home so we walked them to her car before bidding everyone goodnight, thanking the Whitneys for the wonderful event. Home to do dinner dishes and then to bed to read a few chapters of my latest Lincoln Rhyme, The Kill Room.
 
Hi Pat! Thanks for quick reply and compliments on our place. Open House this Saturday so I'm planning  along ride that day! Sorry we won't connect on way south. [We have always enjoyed our visits to Santa Cruz as well. Congratulations and Birthday Wishes to Dave's mother. Bravo! Hip Hip Hooray!!!] Plan to stay in Palm Desert until February 17th after which we will begin trek back to Vancouver. Not sure, as of this writing, whether we will visit friends in Fresno. If we do, we will probably head north through foothills, Tahoe, etc. If not we will probably overnight in Berkeley so depending on your schedule, perhaps we can connect. Still planning to drop by to collect latest release if that is possible, on Wednesday, February 4th. I assume that will be fine but would appreciate confirmation of such. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
I think I said I will be gone on the 4th but of course someone will be here to get your wine for you. After the 6th of Feb we should be here through April, SO stop on by............Dave
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment