Saturday 7 February 2015

Considerable Cloudiness Tinsel Town Blues: Saturday, February 7th!

A man's conscience, like a warning line on the highway, tells him what he shouldn't do - but it does not keep him from doing it. -Frank A. Clark 


Dear Lady Mary II and Mr Patmore! Ayn and Cora Lee have been invited to a baby shower today, at noon, so I plan to go for a ride while they are out. Will head to my Mexican barber, Cachorro's, just a block or two down the street, for a haircut and beard trim after enjoying David's lasagna for breakfast! Will be in touch about Palm Desert address before long, I trust! Fondestos from the Goils to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Desert Storm! Trust you are both well and enjoying life at Il Palazzo Sud di Lighthall! Have had a wonderful trip to date, although managed to leave a few possessions behind, in Berkeley! As it turned out, last "sweep" did not reveal Mme Coriandre's jacket which I'd hung in a closet. At any rate, D/N have offered to mail the jacket, (a very light ski jacket), to Palm Desert as we hadn't planned on stopping in Berkeley once we leave Palm Desert. Consequently, this is an urgent plea for the Palm Desert house address so that I can send it along to Casa Vicente.

Glad to hear that the weather in Desert Storm is to your liking. Forecast I've consulted looks great over the course of our stay. Once again, please let The Pushy Canadian Freloaders know about the secret Palm Desert hideaway address at your earliest convenience! Fondestos from the Goils to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Dinner Thursday evening with Cactus and Donna Florida; Raoul is a friend who lives across the street. Glasgow and I first met him this past November. Lasagna, Friday morning; Vinnie the Baker, overseen by Mrs. Patmore; Start of ride over Golden Gate outside Ferry Building and then at dock in Tiburon for ferry back to SF. Will save description of day's events until face-to-face over wine/malt!

Dear Patrick, With the greatest reluctance, our address is on Shadow Lake Drive, Palm Desert, CA  92260.  The house phone is 760 XXX XXXX. The couriers are going to know us well.  Lynne just arranged to have her jewelry box shipped from the Bellagio in Las Vegas - imagine her relief that she was able to track it down.

Sunshine here is wonderful and we're well stocked with bargain booze from Costco - imagine a bottle of Lagavulin 16-year-old for $66.  Looking forward to your arrival. Cheers, Peter and Lynne

Hello Jugos Dom Bellagio! Thank you for the quick reply! Just back from being shorn. Quite an interesting scene at the local barbershop with kids running all over the place and regular customers dropping by to visit and chat, mostly in Spanish of course. My barber remembered me from last time, a year or so ago. Lovely chap and uses a straight razor on one's neck. (Glad Cora Lee hasn't gotten to him yet!) Much less than half the price at home, even with a $5 tip and exchange rate, and I can actually tell him what I want. 

I've been going to my barber in Vancouver for almost 30 years now and I've reached the point where I feel can't tell him to do this or that as he gives me, more or less, what he thinks I need/want. Not a big deal. Probably silly on my part but since we've become friends it's embarrassing to say well you know I never comb my hair like you do at the front, per esempio. Sometimes I even hope he is on holiday so that I can go to one of the other chaps in the shop and can tell them exactly what I want!

Off to give my bike chain a bit of a clean and a drop of oil and them I'm away to ride on the dedicated pedestrian/bike path which runs parallel to the Metro Orange Line. Cora Lee was dismayed to hear of Lynne's lost jewelry box but mightily relieved to learn of its safe return. Sunshine and bargain malt cabinet at Desert Storm sound terrific. I'll have to practice tippling here in LA, all the better to be ready! Thanks again for reluctant address! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Address below, Vincenzo. Thanks muchly from Lady Mary I!

Pics: Barbershop, barber and shorn selfie. It is Pierre's 26th birthday this coming Tuesday and we will celebrate it the evening before we set out, with empty camel packs, (empty of malt, that is), to cross the desert!

Patrick, Great haircut.  Glad to see you shorn.  Our last goodbye kiss was pretty fuzzy!

Ayn and Cora Lee had been invited to a baby shower today, at noon, so I planned to go for a ride while they were out. Headed to my Mexican barber, Cachorro's, just a block or two down the street, for a haircut and beard trim after enjoying David's lasagna, (overlefts), for breakfast! Quite an interesting scene at the local barbershop with kids running all over the place and regular customers dropping by to visit and chat, mostly in Spanish of course. My barber remembered me from last time, a year or so ago. Lovely chap and uses a straight razor on one's neck. (Glad Cora Lee hasn't gotten to him yet!) Much less than half the price at home, even with a $5 tip and exchange rate, and I can actually tell him what I want.


At any rate, back home before noon to suit up and then gave my Trek's chain a bit of a clean and a drop of oil before riding the block or two, down Woodman, to the dedicated pedestrian/bike path which runs parallel to the Metro Orange Line. Know this route quite well so it was fun to be back "in the hood" so to speak! Forecast had predicted rain to startaround 5:00 pm so I thought I would be fine but by the time I made it to Lake Balbao Recreational area it started to drizzle but not heavily so I felt I would be fine. 

The dedicated bike paths here are terrific so I knew I'd be able to log much of the distance I had planned for the day. Started out circling the Balboa/Encino Golf Course and once I'd dipsy-doodled a bit thereabouts I headed under Balboa Blvd on one of the two very good, bike friendly underpasses which took me to Oxnard St and thence to a large subdivision bounded by White Oak on the north, Lasaine on the south, Burbank Blvd on the west and Oxnard to the east. Spent the next hour or so criss-crossing this grid and then made my way back to circumvent the park and environs before taking the busway bikepath back to woodman.


Had been on again/off again drizzle while I was gerbil-caging the wide, quiet streets of the pleasant, original 1950's subdivision and by the time I was close to home I was bone dry so I decided I'd add a bit more distance by dipsy-doodling on the streets to the south of Woodman. Of course, while I was so doing, it started to drizzle again. By this time I wasn't worried as the end was in sight and I piled into the underground parkade around 4:00 pm. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/692246768#.VNa3hO-KDSU.email


Found The Sisterhood at home already and after I'd showered and changed we started to watch The Outlander. Have read a few of the early books so it was great to be able to have the entire first season to watch. Ayn put on first episode and then popped out, (She had already watched everything.), to a local Thai restaurant for takeaway. She had a gift certificate from Christmas so was pleased to spend it on her freeloading parents!


When she was back we opened a 2012 Coffaro Aca Modet, 15.1% to go with the first of four wonderful courses: Thai beef salad with fiery lime dressing; chicken satay with peanut sauce; spicy green beans with sliced red pepper;  kang-gari yellow coconut chicken curry on white rice. Needed a 2008 Soda Rock Cabernet Franc, 14.5%, to put out the fire! Watched the second episode of Outlander, (Wonderfully adapted and acted, by the way, in case you have not seen or heard of it.), and when that was over we brushed and flossed and then repaired upstairs to watch the next episode of Blacklist. Wonderful life here in Tinsel Town!

So that's al the news that fit to print. Fondestos from Mme Coraline to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Can I get a confirmation people playing Monday at Condor Place? So far I count 4; Byron, Clive, Robert and myself. Any more? 3NT Roger I'm in San Francisco - sorry! Roger I confirm Cheers Byron Confirmed! C


No comments:

Post a Comment