Sunday 1 February 2015

Pre-Departure Packing Day Blues: Sunday, February 1st!

Standard English is a convenient abstraction, like the average man. -George Leslie Brook, English professor, author (1910-1987) 


The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw. -Havelock Ellis, physician, writer, and social reformer (2 Feb 1859-1939) 

Hi Corinne and Patrick, We arrived here yesterday after a drive from Phoenix area, dodging the Super Bowl crowd. Weather had been poor in Phoenix and on our arrival but today is as advertised, pure sunshine. The house is wonderful, exceeding expectations. You'll love it here. We think it's best for you to arrive on the 11th if that is OK for your schedule. That will be one day of overlap with Ann and Gary.
 

We're just off to Costco to stock up our wine cellar. Hope your travels go well.
Cheers, Peter
 
 
Hello, Patrick: Once again, I am lamentably overdue in replying to your latest.   
Things have been a bit upside-down, inside-out lately, as our building is undergoing a complete repiping project.  Needless to say, much of the major work in my place was scheduled for Mondays --  my day off.   The guys are quite good, though, and while it's intrusive and a  major nuisance, with all sorts of stuff having had to be moved around (and minor inconveniences such as their forgetting to hook the washer and dryer back up and rendering the shower incapable of achieving more than a lukewarm temperature - both now resolved), I can't say that it's been truly awful.  It's also forced an opportunity to de-clutter, which I am badly in need of.  Once that is done, I will be planning some renovations.


Work is a mixed-bag.  I am glad to be there, and have made some satisfying community connections since the start of the New Year.  But there are truly challenging HR things going on in my branch (which is usually not a "problem child" branch.)  Two separate matters  are currently of concern.  One is a major escalation of the story that I started telling Corinne when I dropped by in November.  'Nuff said.


On the brighter side, I am happy to tell you that I am making some progress with my "get-healthy" plan for 2015.  I am going to personal training twice a week, and though expensive, it "TOTALLY!!!" works for me.  I feel I am really getting value as I learn to train using weights properly, as well as core exercises etc.  It's a nice gym, with great amenities (such as towels, shower mats and hair products all provided).  I go for training on Mondays and Fridays.  The idea is that I then train on my own at the Dunbar Community Centre on Wednesdays, which I have done a couple of times (although I have to admit that I missed last week). As I found out, the DCC has a hot tub next to the gym.  Lovely!  It was an unexpected discovery, as they don't have a pool.  There's a sauna too.


As well, I have acquired a "trainer" (of a different sort) for my bike.  So it's now set up in my living room so that  I can essentially use it as an exercise bike -- while watching television, TED Talks, etc.  When I'm in better shape I might venture out onto the road again.  I certainly hope so!


Also, quite excitingly, my mother, brother and I have bookings for a Camino Walk in May.  Mum and I will fly to Madrid, via London and meet Greg there (he is making his own arrangements).  Then we'll take the train to NW Spain to start our walk.  I have to admit, it won't be a very authentic Camino experience, as we will be staying in country inns and hotels and having our luggage taken ahead for us each day!  And we're only doing the final 100K or so.   Afterwards, Mum and I will fly back to U.K. where we'll spend another couple of weeks (some together, some apart) before flying back to Vancouver.  Meanwhile, Greg intends to go to Barcelona and I'm not sure what else . . . .


Wow -- it was a bit of a surprise to hear that you are planning a move to the Okanagan.  That's a huge change!!!   How did your house-hunting trip go?   I'm sure you'll be missed by many here in Vancouver, but I can see the appeal of the move.


When would it be a convenient time to drop by and collect my picture :-)       and other bits and pieces (including, I believe, a cookie sheet and chopping board --  not sure)?  Today (if you read this in time) or tomorrow (around 3 p.m. or after) would work -- or any Monday, around 3 p.m (as I usually have my PT session at 1 p.m.)   Sundays are good too, though February 7 is busy due to Tomkins' family birthdays (there are 5 in February). 
Hope this finds you well, and look forward to hearing from you soon. Janet

The next gathering of the NRBC will be on 1 March. Venue TBC. 

P, thanks for accommodating the wayward North Islanders after hours at the Islay Inn. Gotta say I don't look forward to seeing the 'Under New Management' sign on the premises.

You best be looking on Galiano before you head to OK-noggin. You will have a castle with a view -- and with all the money you save, a malt cabinet the size of the Sedgewick Library. I can get you a special invite from Elizabeth May and the would-be president of Galiano -- visas and limousine tours of the island. The Galiano dollar is rock solid against the Loonie. Best check your noggin to be sure you are OK.

Safe travels in the wine frontier. May the logistics be with you. Fond regards to all staff and long suffering residents at the Islay, W & J
 

Dear Wayward Waylaid Wayfarers! Late sleep-in and then spent most of Sunday doing chores and packing. Once I'd scrubbed down my Trek I headed to elliptisizer at FCCC. Managed 3.49 miles, 15,037' climbed over 70 minutes for 1,117 calorifics expended. Then back to continue packing and loading, (with a break for Rosita's scrumptious roast chicken dinner), Titanium Green the better to make our anticipated 5:30 am departure this morning.
 

At any rate, thanks for "pushing" Galiano. Do hope we can arrange a limo tour sometime after the end of this month, when we are back, if we return. Just received these snaps of place in Palm Desert where we will stay with Lynne and Peter. Cora Lee says she won't want to leave! Thanks, also, for travel wishes.

Fondestos from Cora Lee and Rosita. She was just over to invite us for dinner and she asked me to thank you for your birthday wishes. Stay well. Cheers, Il Conduttore.


Hi Margareta, it would be great to see you and the boys. I will be in NY also from about the 18 to the 26 of July. What about flying from NY to LA and then driving up the coast to Vancouver. Chloe will be here even if we have moved by then, You could spend a few days here and then come to Penticton or Osoyoos wherever we are.
 
We are off tomorrow for drive down to LA to see Ayn and to spend a week in Palm Desert with some friends. They have rented a house there for 6 weeks. Looks lovely and sunny with a pool. Let us know what you decide. It will be great to see you.
  Hi Pat, Just wanted to drop you a quick line to say hello, and to congratulate you on what can only be described as an endless number of bike rides you’ve been on and reported on Facebook for all of use envious souls to enjoy - your retirement sounds rather busy. Of course, I also saw Chloë’s post about you guys selling your place in Granville Island and moving inland. I also, just now, saw your note about places you might consider moving to - all sound great, actually. I trust you’ll end up with a fantastic place, that we will happily come and visit on our way to and from the Kootenays. We will miss you and the Island Inn, though.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to say how wonderful it has been to have you guys as friends over the years. As I alluded to in my note on Facebook, life for us is somewhat chaotic right now and we just can’t seem to get the energy to invite friends over for dinner in any regular way. This ‘work’ thing is time-consuming and rather overwhelming. Let alone the ‘dance’; the ‘soccer’; the ‘piano’ and the inevitable ‘remember which of these household residents is your lovely wife.’ We miss you and think of you often.

At any rate, I hope all is well, and I certainly look forward to hearing all about this new chapter in your lives. I’m perfectly happy to talk real estate if you would like an opinion, but I’m sure you have many of those already. Keep us in the loop about your plans, as I’m greatly interested in hearing all about the process and I look forward to seeing the new place. Take care, hope your seat is staked out for the Super Bowl, which starts in what, 45 minutes? -A. 


Well this is a lovely email, why you would want to leave friends like this is beyond me!! xx


Thought you’d enjoy this! it’s a really well done slideshow from the archives of Vancouver then and now, some of the old stuff looks really cool and I wish I could time travel!...talk about a land of opportunity. Enjoy. Cheers, Al

Just the mouse resting on the picture changes it...
An interesting trip down memory lane.
Enjoy the journey and imagine what the next 100 years Vancouver could look like

No comments:

Post a Comment