Sunday 15 February 2015

Trek Hose-Down Blues: Sunday, February 15th!

Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger. -Franklin P. Jones, businessman (1887-1929)


Thank you Patrick. Lovely! More than I got from Derek! X x

Hi Neglected Gayle and Insensitive Heart-of-Wrought-Iron Man! Very sorry to learn that Derek wasn't at all sweet to his Sweetie but I'm sure he will make it up to you, Gayle, knowing a woman spurned is a very dangerous thing!


Up at shortly after 7:00 am to hie myself to the Keurig machina. Tidied up kitchen a bit while brew was brewing and then set about wading through my accumulated email. [Only good thing about bicycle accident is that I'll have more time for correspondence.] Plan to give my Trek a scrubbing later his morning. Yesterday, befoer we left for mall, Peter helped my remove my front wheel and once that was off it was possible to untangle twisted fender struts from forks. Will leave fenders off until I take bike into Westpoint back in Vancouver. Bike seems fine, otherwise, front wheel running true as far as we could determine. Had thought I might take it out for a short spin, on the flat, today, just to see how it and I feel. Will wait until after cleaning to decide, however.

Have invited Heather and Joe, (Sarge's uncle from Chilliwack), over for dinner this evening. They are staying in Palm Springs for a month or so and we knew we'd be here at the same time. They plan to arrive later this afternoon so we have plenty of time to putter around. Mme Coriandre sends along Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Valentine's dinner: sirloin, baked potatoe, with sour cream, green onions and bacon bits, and Caesare. See's chocolades for dessert! 

Thanks for the card. Sorry you were not able to make micks party. We had a lot of fun -complete with a skit , song , slideshow and dancing. Give us a call when you are back in town and update us on your search. Polly and Mick 

Hi Polly and Mick! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but life on the road has been hectic, wonderful, but hectic!  Glad to hear birthday celebration was such a success. Knew it would be. Quite disappointed not to have been able to attend, of course. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, Corinne, I hope that you eventually and successfully get reunited with the not red jacket and the vital belt! Here is a message I got this morning from my sweet friend Kirtana, who lives in Hyderabad. If you let me know roughly when you might be in that part of India, I will, if you wish, write to her and effect an introduction. I send you this to give you a sense of her values. Happy Sunday. I'm on the sidelines with a cold. Cactus 

Hi Scrachy Throat Prickly Pear and Virtual Chocolate Lady Mary II! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but life on the road has been hectic, wonderful, but hectic!  First of all, thank you, so much for sending along orange, (Orange, Sherpa Davey, not Red!), jacket and necessary belt! [Funnily enough, the package was delivered as I was unloading Titanium Green, afternoon we arrived.] Really appreciate your offer to connect us with your friend Kirtana in Hyderabad but we will not, unfortunately, now be visiting that city. Originally it had been on tour but further changes to evolving itinerary meant we could not spend time in this otherwise interesting, I understand, city. Thanks anyway, of course. I'd have jumped at the chance, as you know! Glad that the virtual chocs were to Donna Florida's liking and always impeccable taste!

Hint: Buried, somewhere, within the body of the following extended text is an explanation detailing why I, along with Congested Cactus, am sidelined. Read on Intrepid Reader!
Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Goils! Glad you enjoyed your virtual chocolates! Fondestos to you both, and Winston. Cheers, Dad! Pics: More Water Nymphs; Valentine Lecher Peter at lunch on patio yesterday; "fake" Valentine's gift watches; martini and my gifts; Valentine's dinner 

Hello Lads and Lass! Trust everyone is well.  At the moment we are staying, here in Palm Desert with Lynne/Peter, with whom we will travel in India. Fabulous weather, fabulous accommodation, fabulous food but company leaves much to be desired! Fondestos to you, one and all from, Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Marilyn and Big Al! Trust everyone is well. Thanks for last message, Big Al. I would dearly have loved to take more than a few snaps of the Blonde Bombshell but I was camera-less, unfortunately and my flip-phone doesn't have a camera! What a hoot about Google Maps. Caught right in the middle of a heist! Lynne and Peter were pleased to be remembered and send along best wishes in return. Cheers, Patrizzio, Battered and Bruised but Still Able to Pop a Cork!

Thank-you very much for the sweet card. We are basking in the sunshine this Valentine's Weekend. The West Coast is a very beautiful place to be out and about. We wish the two of you a very Happy Valentine's Weekend, too! 

Hello Squamish Waldorf! Trust everyone is well. Thanks for your Valentine's Weekend message. Mutual, I'm sure. Fondestos to you both from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Patrick and Corinne Thanks for the updates and photos! What a beautiful pool and loved the fire-pit and amazing desert scenery. You are having an amazing time! Swedish cousins 20 and 19 have been here for a week. Sadly it has rained pretty much constantly. They are off to Vancouver Island today. Other than that --not much new to report here. Just hanging around waiting for bones to heal. At least the sun is out today. Cheers for now, Jo-Anne

Hi Patrick, At 50 Kph that fall would indeed have been a disaster. On the up side there are only ever two types of cyclists, “the ones that have had a fall and the ones that will”. So now you have reduced your chances of having a fall again. Tragically I am still in the category of the ones that “will” so I have something to look forward to. I am just getting ready to head off to Sydney then to Nowra about two hours driving time from Sydney to the south for a few days, having already dropped Claire at the Airport for her trip to Alice Springs for the next four days.

Had a quick chat to Tony this morning re lunch on Thursday when I get back so will let him know you did a dive over the handle bars. We are now on count down mode to our departure in April to Europe so looking forward to that . Indi was on Claire’s bucket list so will be keen to get your feedback on your adventures Cheers Greg and Claire


Hi Mighty Grigor! Not quite sure about your "fall" analysis as this is the third serious "tumble" I've had. Certainly hope you keep your record clean! Please pass along fond regards to Alice Springs Claire and Elly/Antonio. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, Hope you are recovering well from your fall. Quite a freak accident it seems. You don't expect fenders to loosen easily. Perhaps you should take up rugby again, it might be safer.
 

Speaking of rugby, I've been at the Carters' the last 2 weekends watching the England matches in the 6 Nations tournament which Mike and I have thoroughly enjoyed and we're looking forward to the Ireland game in 2 weeks time.
Our Feb.13th was spent at the Canucks game v Boston. Not much of a hockey fan myself but Sylvia enjoyed the evening and the tickets were given. It's certainly not pure sport with the light show and the constant stoppages for TV advertising. The last time I was there was when Pavel Bure played and the package has changed significantly in that period.
 

Palm Desert is an extension of Palm Springs, I assume. Friends invited us there for early January but with trips planned to the UK and the Kootenays this summer we had to decline.
 

Set off for West Van this morning to meet with a friend to exercise. It was very foggy when I stared out before 8 but by the time I was driving through English Bay, the sun came out and it was a beautiful day from there and an excellent forecast for the next week or more.
 

Look after yourself. The pool sounds like the best therapy for a few days anyway. Ready to watch the next episode of Downton. I think this series is very inferior to previous episodes. Ray 

Hi Raymond! The thought of a taking a rugby tackle with my side feeling as tender as it still does is not something I can or want to entertain just yet, even if marginally safer! Glad you enjoyed the hockey game. I don't believe I've been since the early '90's! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, I just read your entire email to Gerry as he is preparing dinner for us and Stacee and Sean ( Jeff is in Vegas for a buying show). That is really awful about your bike accident and I can't help but think about how fortunate you were to have it happen when it did. I hope all your pains and bruises get better quickly.

Questions - How long are you in Palm Desert for? How did your trip to Penticton etc. go and what are your plans?

We have just returned from an outstanding month in Hawaii. We brought the kids over for 10 days and that turned out so well. We were in a deep blue funk for a couple of days after they left - well maybe not a deep funk. Our weather was exceptional and we did lots of ocean swimming, snorkelling, walking, reading and checking out sights and restaurants. We went on a terrific hike with the kids down to the Pololu Valley where there is a black sand beach? and the most beautiful coloured ocean. It was quite a steep path along the side of the cliff but stunning views all the way. I must say I was very proud that I made it up and down the 3 mile trek without incident! We never seem to tire of the beauty of Hawaii especially where we stay. We have booked to return again next year.

While we were away Terrace was hit with the worst snowstorm since the early 70's. Lots of friends sent pictures and snarky comments about how they wished we were there to suffer along with them. Kids just arrived so must close. Take care, give Corinne a hug and keep in touch, Dawn 


Hi Donna Maria and Heraldo! Thank you for your kind words and wishes for my recovery. Still pretty sore but each night's sleep seems a tad better and once I start moving each morning I feel stronger but probably have a week or more before I'm back on road to normal. [Cora Lee, Lynne and Peter all say I've never been "normal" so not sure what the prognosis will be!] From past experience ribs, whether broken or severely bruised, take seeming aeons to heal, as I'm sure you know, if only from general knowledge as opposed to catastrophic occurrence.

Delighted to hear that your Hawaii junket went so well, especially since the kids could enjoy being there. Maybe we'll join you, as Freeloaders, next year, having worn out our welcome in Palm Desert. Have to keep moving around, ahead of the bailiff as well!

We will be heading back to LA on Wednesday. Originally we were not planning on stopping but, dope than I am, I forgot my bicycle pump there. As well, since my accident, I'm not looking forward to long 10 hr drives at the moment. We plan to stay over night in Redding on Thursday so the overnight stay in Tinsel Town should reduce the drive to about 8 hours, slightly more manageable but probably still taxing. Mme Coriandre doesn't enjoy highway driving but I might ask her to spell me off on some of the flatter, less busy stretches of I-5, once we leave LA behind.

With respect to the Penticton/Naramata relocation scheme, there is lovely cottage in Penticton which very much appeals to us, still on the market and I would certainly like to make an offer should we have an acceptable offer on the Islay Inn. Who knows? Cheers, Patrizzio!



After a lazy morning sending messages and chatting with my companions I spent an hour or so giving my Trek a thorough cleaning. Think there might be something wrong with shifting mechanism/chain as changing gears does not seem to go as smoothly as it should. At any rate, I'll take it for a short spin as soon as I have the chance to do so. Couldn't today as I had to shower and change before guests were to appear.

Heather and Joe arrived about 4:00 pm and we spent the rest of the lovely afternoon chatting and tippling on the patio, nibbling on the lovely assortment of cheese, crackers, olives and mixed nuts that Lynne had set out for very tasty appetizers. Around 6:00 pm I went inside to prepare a mixed green salad and Jugos Dom Pedro, under Giuseppe's direction, grilled the pork loin. Heather and Cora Lee toasted their toes on the rim of the firepit while the rest of us slaved away. Once Mme coriandre's twice-baked cauliflower dish had been re-heated in oven, and table was laid, we were called to the table and sat down to the delicious fare. 

Great good time visiting over the course of the meal and the hootch didn't hurt matters either: 2013, St Supéry, Napa, Sauvignon Blanc, 13.5%; 2011 Soda Rock Malbec, 13%, (Giuseppe's favourite); 2012 Kokomo Zin, 14.1%; 2011 Twisted Oak, Calaveras, Petite Sirah, 13.5%. Valentine's Day chocs for dessert with a wee dram of The Glenlivet Guardians' Chapter, 48.7% for Big Big Joe and I, while JDP went for a snort of Graham's 10 year old Tawny Porto! The Babes abjured any spirits or fortified so polished off the remaining wine. Said goodbye to the folk from Palm Springs around 9:30 pm to watch a bit of the SNL 40th Anniversary Special before heading to our trundle beds ourselves.



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment