Sunday 22 March 2015

5e Dimanche de Carême Blues: Sunday, March 22nd!

Infidel, n. In New York, one who does not believe in the Christian religion; in Constantinople, one who does. -Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914), [The Devil's Dictionary, 1906] 


After looking at the forecast, shortly after rising at 8:00 am, I determined that I might be able to steal another ride if I left around 10:00 am since showers were forecast for 2:00 pm. After enjoying the wonderful omelette, (green onions and overleft asparagus from last night's tasty dinner of brochettes and baked potatoes/purple yams), I suited and lubed up heading for Olympic Village to start my ride. Followed what has now become a fairly regular route here, heading along Seawall, after an initial dipsy-doodle loop to Cook Street, to Granville Bridge. Not too too busy as I guess many people were sleeping in. Anyway, with 19 km on the clock by the time I was back on Commodore Road I made for Kits Point. Few more circumcyle loops here to have 33 km logged by the time I made for Spanish Banks. 

Loads of traffic along beach as there was some sort of car rally/exhibition, RevScene according to posted signs, filling all the parking lots with highly modified cars and in one, a number of food trucks. Made it past without being hit by the numerous drivers gunning their engines and roaring away, mufflers growling deafeningly! Once I had climbed the UBC Foreshore Hill I planned to meander around campus until I had logged enough distance to give me 61 km by the time I was back home. However, once near 16th, clouds seemed pretty white so I decided I'd do an Imperial/Camosun/Marine Loop and see if showers were still holding off.

All was going very well until I climbed Wesbrook Mall and returned to 16th having decided I'd do a repeat of this loop. Had barely started east along 16th when drizzle started and less than a minute later I heard someone shout my name. Turned out to be Robo Man who was making for campus to watch rugby, Thunderbirds men’s varsity team was hosting the Cal Bears, from Berkeley, in the World Cup, named after the Vancouver World newspaper. Traffic was light so I was able to turn around and once I caught up to Raymond we chatted while cycling towards Thunderbird Stadium. Great to bump into him as we've not seen one another since before we left for California. By the time we were there it was drizzling pretty steadily so after waving goodbye to Robo Man as I decided I'd make for home, leaving campus on Chancellor.

However, once I reached Blanca, rain had stopped so I took a short dipsy-doodle around Little Australia and since rain seemed to be holding off I decided to return to campus via University Blvd. Once there I only needed 10 km to give me a 100 km ride by the time I was back at The Heartbreak Terrace so was extremely pleased at the turn of events. Almost on auto-pilot once I was on Main Mall and surrounding streets so I didn't take long to hit the magic number of 87/88 km at the intersection of Stadium Road and  SW Marine and I was Chancellor bound once again. Had hoped to push my AVG to 21 kph but head wind was pretty strong and even with swoop down 4th from Blanca all the way to Highbury, I couldn't do better than 20.9 kph. Managed to keep from dropping below that on Point Grey Rd and all the way home. Close but no cigar! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/726816230#.VQ9FXbwC0Ts.email

Found Chloë here and she will join us for dinner. (Meeting Woman was attending another meeting and will return after church service.) Rosita is baking chicken using a recipe Chloë wanted to try, along with acorn squash and asked Chloë to prepare a salad so I'm off the hook for everything except opening wine! Hope to play more bridge before dinner as Chloë can sit in for her Mom. Wish she would play more often as she is actually a good player but simply needs to log more time learning conventions, honing her bidding, etc. Must away as I am charged with setting the table as well as popping corks!

Hello Los Turistas! I assume you are back now but perhaps not. Curious to hear all about your escapades.
Not sure if you knew or not but Sarge said he would drive the rental truck, (20'), we plan to use for move when we started working on dates, logistics, etc. However, it now turns out that he will be out of town so am wondering if you, Giggster, might be persuaded to drive, given your fairly recent experience with move to Galiano. Not a big deal if you are unable to do so but would like to confirm as soon as possible. So far we hope to load everything on Thursday, May 28th, and then drive to Okanagan later that afternoon/evening, or early next morning.
 
I'll follow truck with my car whenever departure happens. Cora Lee will stay until noon on May 29th, for hand-over, and then drive up to Penticton with Chloë.  If we are there on Thursday, we will stay overnight with Lynne and Peter, and then begin unloading process, on Friday morning. Chloë would take you back with her on Sunday. Should Jane wish to come along with the rest of The Sisterhood on Friday that would be terrific, obviously. Anyway this is the logistical plan as of this writing!

Let us know when next we might be able to have a get-together and what you think about driving truck. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


thank you for your prompt reply. Top of the Morning to you. we are getting close here. either April 17 or18. Accommodation will be provided. take care matt

Hi Glasgow! Thanks for dates. Friday, 17th, is our choice but Saturday, 18th is still free if something comes up. Let us know about time, etc., when you have a moment. Had hoped to play more bridge after dinner but unfortunately, gang felt they had other things that needed attending so rest decamped to leave us to watch a few more episodes of The Killing, murder-mystery based in Seattle but much of it filmed here in Vancouver! Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Tonight's feast!

Hello Vicentians! Trust all goes well and you are both fine. Looks like we are Penticton bound for sure! About halfway through today's ride I bumped into Robo Man who was making for campus to watch rugby, Thunderbirds men’s varsity team was hosting the Cal Bears! Not sure of results as of this message. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

 Looks like the Golden Bears overcame the T-Birds, although this article is far far far too long for my taste. The bad vibe down here is our women got eliminated (at home) from the NCAA Basketball tournament by one of our favorite competitors, Texas. Spring break just started, so people are scattered to the four winds. I'm up for a little JJ before I go down. Cactus

Hi JJ Cactus! I gather game between Cal and UBC was a pretty exciting match, down to the wire! Unfortunately, for you, Thunderbirds, based on total points for two game series, emerged as overall winners. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 



If I read the messages right it would appear that there are seven for tomorrow night. I will sit out as I have lots of work today. Taxes galore. Wayne

Hi Robert! This just in from Sarge. (above) Will David be coming directly from YVR? What should I tell Sarge? Let me know what you think. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

  





No comments:

Post a Comment