Monday 30 March 2015

Byron's Bridge Blues: Monday, March 30th!

Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations. -Leo Buscaglia, author, speaker and professor (31 Mar 1924-1998) 


No method really, usually pretty stressed every time cos own way too much stuff. You would think by now, have gotten rid of all essentials. Should have sold all our furniture but wanted too much $$ I think. I am traveling with 2 small bags, one smaller for warm in California. The other is for cooler temps and some nicer c,others for parties in AB. Gotta run. Good luck with move. M


Hi Ginette! Yes, I do! Sorry but I didn't read my email until just now. We had a busy day yesterday as we hosted two tables of bridge and I never got around to doing my usual messaging. I did call Andrew myself, to wish him all the best on his birthday. He seemed fine. Hope to pop by Intersection once we have settled into our new place in Penticton. Moving on May 29th. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks Patrick I will call him today...You will enjoy living in the Okanagan, with your appreciation of wines and your cycling habits you will have a great life! See you at the winery! G Hi again, Ginette! Trust you were able to contact Andrew. Look forward to seeing you both at your winery. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Had a busy morning digitating and setting up for bridge in the evening so didn't leave for my ride until about 1:30 pm. Knew I would only have time for a 50 + km ride so made for Olympic Village where idipsy-doodled until I was ready to head along Seawall to Stanley Park. Enough Lost Lagoon loops to clock 40+ km before heading home. Had to dodge, on each round, innumerable tourists taking photos of cherry blossoms just before viaduct, under Georgia, close to Seawall to either SP of Coal Harbour. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/733271403#.VRny9mu_K1w.email

Back home to find Rosemary and Andre had popped by to say hello. Visited with them until about 5:20 pm when I literally had to boot them out as I had to shower and change and finish preparing meal I was planning to serve to Bridge Lads that evening. Rosita had done her famous scalloped potatoes for me and 

I'd baked a ham, basted in Coke, (Nigella'a recipe!), and was going to do zucchini in the frying pan, closer to meal time, along with a mixed green salad. Robert, David and Winston, (I'd never met him before), arrived first, followed by Clive and then Byron. Mr T and I were paired and I quite enjoyed playing with him. We seemed to "click" for most of the evening and for most hands. First round we went down a number of times and I was feeling a bit disconcerted until same happened to all of the other pairs, and more so, over the course of the evening. 

Really found Winston to be most supportive and very, very knowledgeable and helpful. He is only here, (from Scotland), for a few months but I trust we will see each other over the next bridge gatherings we are able to make. Sarge came up towards the end of the evening. He was painting at Nicole's/Marvin's place so he couldn't come earlier. Mr T and I played Byron and Winston one hand, (my 3 No, bid and made!), just before Robert drove Winston and David home. Lovely evening and I will miss the group. Be great if we can arrange an event in the Okanagan, at least for some of them, at some point. I think I remember Peter did this a year or so ago. 

Cora Lee came home form her Book Club shortly after 10:00 pm and once I'd cleaned up we chatted about our respective evenings. Both too bushed to watch Netflix so we repaired to bed to read instead. Just as happy to do so as I'm quite enjoying the The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (Swedish: Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann), especially having seen movie a month or so ago. Rather interesting to see how book and film differ/diverge. So far, I think cinematic treatment was pretty faithful to written word.

Hi Corinne--I imagine you are up to the proverbial eyebrows getting ready for your big move. I still sort of don't believe that you are coming to the Okanagan and will be nearly neighbours. It'll be great to have you close by. We're looking forward to lots of good times together here … and on our trip to India. You are most likely not worrying too much about it at the moment (and I don't blame you). 

I'm not sure if I passed this info on to you previously but I thought you should have it so that (if not done already) you can pass it on to the Luxe India people. I now have finalized my flight to Chennai. I managed to get bookings all the way from Penticton. It's five legs over almost three days so I'll be in some sort of limbo when I finally arrive in Chennai around 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 28. (Peter's plan is to meet me at the airport as he most likely will have gotten in to Chennai before me.) 

 I recall correctly, you and Patrick arrive that same evening but a little bit later on, yes? We still have the tentative booking at the Radisson Blu Hotel, which is relatively close to the airport, and has a free shuttle service from the airport. I'm thinking it is probably best if we all make use of this service and spend that first night in India at the Radisson. This means that we can hook up with the Luxe India people on October 29 and this will be Day 1 of our trip. At least that is what I have on my calendar now. Cheers and love for now. Keep on packing' …Lynnie XOXO

It’s been a complicated process, hope you are all able to read the profile, there has been problems with it coming through as gibberish.

Hi Pat, I'm hoping to get to see this film.  Particularly interesting for me because I rode a Marinoni in my first Whistler Gran Fondo!!  I had a really nice gal in a training session and it pained her to see my training on my Brodie commuter bike, so she loaned me her 'rain' bike for a year.  Will send a pic later but alas, work (schmerk) beckons.

http://www.viff.org/theatre/films/fc8416-marinoni


Hi Sara! I had seen the notice for Marinoni at the last screening I attended at VanCity. If it works, it might be fun to see film together. Let me know which date is best for you and we can try to plan accordingly. I often take Aquabus to Hornby and then walk to theatre so we could do that if you wanted. Let me know about you plans for Bicycle Frame Man! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: I don't think I sent these two of you earlier! Kurt and Mavis, most adorable pooch!

Hi! Another great day for a ride (or packing if you could squeeze some of that into your busy day). You are killing me with all the fun things you do during my work week: riding, brunching, hooch-buying, pet visiting.....Yes, let's go to the movie. I'll get back to you soon about a time. Thanks. Hi to Corinne.
Thanks from Mekong Mick and Penang Polly thanks for a lovely evening last night. It was great to see everybody again in such good spirits and we hope we can have you all round here before you leave for good!

We had a rainy walk home but I achieved my daily goal on fit bit, which I needed to do after my second helpings of the delicious food.Thanks Mick and Polly PS Daughter Nikki snaffled the wine decanter already! 

Hi all Looking at Wednesday, April 8th or Thursday April 9th to get together in the early evening for dinner and bridge. Hope one of the nights works for everyone as this could be our last get together with all the Durston/Dunns for some time.

To Corinne, Pat, Dusty & Clara - thanks again for the wonderful dinner, bridge evening, prizes & paintings! And an extra bonus to come home today and find little elves had delivered another painting & gifts for Violet. We're going to miss you all. Cheers Elaine

Hello Bayswater Art Gallery! Thanks for wonderful dessert, Elaine! Just finished off last teeny-tiny piece this evening!!! I gather we will start all over again next Wednesday. Looking forward to it already. Don't worry about bridge prizes as we can bring loads! At this rate we won't have to pack at all! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Great. Wednesday, April 8 works for all. Is 5:30 okay to start? Patrick, please don't trouble yourself with bringing bridge prizes - it makes us a bit nervous.
Cheers Elaine
 Hi Elaine! No trouble at all to bring scads of bridge prizes. Please reconsider, you might regret not receiving a couple of wonderful "white elephants"! Cheers, "We Have Junk" Patrizzio! 

Thanks for the invite.  Wednesday works for us.  Thursday Nikki's 3 girls are coming to stay for 5 days!  Happy to bring something if dinner is on.  Pauline

Great. Wednesday, April 8 works for all. Is 5:30 okay to start? Patrick, please don't trouble yourself with bringing bridge prizes - it makes us a bit nervous.
Cheers Elaine
 Hi Elaine! No trouble at all to bring scads of bridge prizes. Please reconsider, you might regret not receiving a couple of wonderful "white elephants"! Cheers, "We Have Junk" Patrizzio! 

Thanks for the invite.  Wednesday works for us.  Thursday Nikki's 3 girls are coming to stay for 5 days!  Happy to bring something if dinner is on.  Pauline

Hello Vietnamese Bridge People! Grand evening indeed. Thanks for wonderful dip and crackers, Polly, as well as splendid Van Westen red! Terrific that Nikki purloined wine decanter. At this rate we won't have to do any packing! Look forward to seeing everyone at Keatings next week. Cheers, Il Conduttore!  
 
Hello Lads: Bit of a mix-up with number of hands played but scores for the evening, as follows: Byron/Robert, 2,510; David/Patrick, 4,810; Clive/Winston 5,240. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrizio Thank you for a great evening. See you anon Cheers Byron

Hi Byron! Grand evening all around. Sorry we won't see you for a bit but know you have a most exciting three months ahead. Once gain, Happy Trails to you and Ann. Travel safely and let us know how things go in Paris and environs, from time to time. Cheers, Patrizzio!                                   Greetings from Warrawandaballygong in the Granville Island outback, (particularly Mr T!): A few snaps from last evening. I sent Byron an earlier message suggesting he might wish to print out some of these pics and throw darts at the players who obviously cheated him, and Sir Robert, out of First Place! Cheers, Soon-to-Be Penticton Patrizzio!


Quite a night last night! Thanks for a splendid meal and hosting, Patrick! Welcome back after many years, Winston! Welcome back after a few weeks, Dave T! Farewell for a few months, Byron!

End of the third month of the year brings rankings, which are now expressed as average points won per hand. There must be some questionable statistics for those with only one or two appearances!! And it is noteworthy that our winner from 2014 falls from grace to the lowest ranks, but eager, I’m sure, to rejoin us and redeem himself. Average points won per hand (detailed spreadsheet attached)...
 

Winston 218.3, 1 appearance! Les 175.4, 2 appearances! Clive 171.8, 12 appearances; John 156.0, 2 appearances! Wayne 154.4, 2 appearances!
Robert 147.6, 11 appearances; David T 147.6, 7 appearances; David Mc 135.1, 12 appearances; Patrick 134.6, 8 appearances; Byron 134.3, 15 appearances; Roger 132.5, 6 appearances. Hi Clive et al! Thanks for the bridge scores, Clive: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics! Cheers, Patrizzio! 
You’re doing well Patricio!

Hi Lynne The Unbeliever and JDP, TDP, (Jugos Dom Pedro, Threatened Duplicate Player)!I will leave the Chennai/Radisson Blu Hotel arrangements/questions to Travel Agent Cora Lee but I think all has been handled to everyone's satisfaction.

With respect to popping your bubble of unbelief, Soon-to-be-Nearly Neighbour Lynne, I am wondering if we might impose on you towards the end of next week, Friday, April 10th, in fact. You might recall that we, (Durstons and Chloë), are off to Ryan's wedding in Kamloops on April 11th. Since it would be a bit of a tight squeeze for all five of us in one car, we plan to take two. This being the case, I was hoping to cram my car with as much as it will hold, along with two bikes we won't be using before we move, on the bike rack, and leave everything in your garage, Dom Jugos!


If this is too much of an imposition, don't worry. However, it is an opportunity to begin decanting process and will give us a tad more room here. Perhaps more importantly, we hope to pick up some wine for the wedding weekend, before we make for Kamloops. At any rate, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Mary to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi lynnie, Peter sent me your flight info last week and I forwarded it on to Luxe. I've told them that we will stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel when we arrive and they can pick us up on the morning of the 29th to start our vacation. We arrive around around 11 pm. Packing is happening a little bit each day. Doing books and getting ready clothes to take to thrift store. I've already made several trips. More later! Happy Easter! Love Corinne

Hi Janet! Trust your steroid injections are helping your foot! Sorry to suggest a change to our at long-last planned get-together BUT it turns out that bridge group has decided to meet on Easter Monday now! Am wondering if it would be possible to do a tea and crumpets, (gluten-free, of course), earlier that afternoon, instead of dinner. Not that we don't wish to dine with you, obviously, but bridge game involves dinner as well. If it is too, too much trouble for you, I'll simply not go to bridge. That being said, I do enjoy the group and play is certainly helping my bidding, etc. Given that we are moving, I am also aware that I only have a few months participation left.

At any rate, it has been so difficult to arrange a date that I will let you decide what is best for you and that will be fine. Bridge starts at 6:00 pm and this time it is on the North Shore so I would need to think about leaving around 5:00 pm or so. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi, Patrick!!!!  Quick note ... I'll try to change my gym time to earlier so that we can do tea ("chai") starting maybe 2 pm.? Let you know this eve. I'm expecting it will work out. J.



 I shall return post haste to defend my title. Any more takers for Condor Place on Easter Monday? I down, Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment