Tuesday 14 April 2015

Darrow Rosemarie Andre Blues: Tuesday, April 14th!

A book, once it is printed and published, becomes individual. It is by its publication as decisively severed from its author as in parturition a child is cut off from its parent. The book "means" thereafter, perforce, -- both grammatically and actually, -- whatever meaning this or that reader gets out of it. -James Branch Cabell, novelist, essayist, critic (14 Apr 1879-1958)
For books read left to right, e.g. in English/Illustration: Tim K/Wikimedia Commons
For books read right to left, e.g. in Arabic

Left shortly after noon to an incredibly blue, completely cloudless sky but it was extremely breezy, let me tell you. AccuWeather suggested wind was out of the West at about 24 kph with gusts to 46 kph! Certainly felt like it when I made my way along the Seawall to Stanley Park. Had dipsy-doodled around Olympic Village for a bit so that I only had to do two Prospect Point Loops and three Lost Lagooners before I had almost enough distance for goal I'd set. Did a quick run to just past the Seaplane Terminal, on my last LLL, before making for home. Had to entertain a forced dipsy-doodle around the small park at the foot of Denman and Georgia as there was a film shoot taking place there. Had seen a large SUV on its side in the parking lot, smoke coming from somewhere in the engine area, on my way towards Canada Place so I suppose the filming was continuing. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/746731826#.VS2g43I_vOk.email

Pleased with outing as it was a gorgeous afternoon in spite of the strong head wind. Of course, I didn't mind having it at my back at times! Home to find Dusty at our place waiting for Canpar to phone. Company was to collect seven boxes Durstons were shipping back to Manitoba. Their suite doesn't have a buzzer someone had to be at our place to let driver in. Just a few minutes after Dusty went back next door, phone rang and it was Canpar, finally! Clara came over a few minutes ago and said their place is easier to move around in now that the large boxes are gone. Must away as I have to vacuum the rug we had in the spare room, (It is now in the living room!), before we roll it up. Part of the packing effort! Friends, Rosemary and Andre, will be coming for dinner around 6:00 pm so lots more to do to ready place for evening.

They arrived just before I was out of the shower but Joanne had dropped in to say hello so she and Mme Coriandre entertained them until I was fit to be seen. We invited Joanne to stay for dinner but she had to do her income tax so she left, declining a drink lest it fuzz her brain. We enjoyed some of the wonderful Upper Bench cheese for appetizers and then sat down to bbq'd steaks, large Yukon gold spuds, asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto and a spring greens salad with Feta, cherry tomatoes and toasted walnuts, drizzled with raspberry balsamic, all courtesy of Mrs Patmore! Rosemary adn Andre had been visiting friends in the Okanagan this past week. One, Will Hardman, is now the winemaker of Deep Roots Winery and Andre had picked fruit in Bryan's, his father's orchards before they were completely replanted with grapes! They brought along a bottle of 2013 Merlot, 14.7%, and it was very, very tasty, so looking forward to getting to know the rest of their product. Cora Lee tasted there last July, (Winery only opened in 2014, first vines planted in 1996), with Sarge and Peter, the day before the GranFondo but I was not along, for obvious reasons!

Rosemary is flying back to London on Thursday, Andre a week later. He will drive their car from there to their gorgeous home about two hours south east of Lyon. That is where I left my Montague folding bike, purchased in York, in 2013. Hope to return to colelct it next year when friends from Brisbane are organizing a cycling trip from somewhere in Britanny to Bilbao! Interested? Dermot and Cora Lee can drive Mother-ship and taste wine in Bordeaux, and elsewhere, while we ride!

 Bibliogony: 

MEANING:
noun: The art of producing or publishing books. Also known as bibliogenesis.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek biblio- (book) + -gony (origin). Earliest documented use: 1835.


Pics: Wedding; Dusty's medication; Carmen Miranda and Cora Lee; ChloĆ« with Amanda, figure-skating friend, Groomswoman; My upper crown! I took a bagful of candy from candy bar at wedding reception, for drive home next day, and around the Fraser Canyon, Hell's Gate, it came out in my mouth! Lucky I didn't swerve over cliff into river! Or worse for I could easily have swallowed it. [Funnily enough, good friend from Toronto called on Monday night and when I related event he told me that a few years ago he swallowed his gold tooth. Two days of "panning for gold" before he struck paydirt!] 

Pitch Perfect!
Had it cemented back in yesterday morning and when I related story to Diane, my dentist, she told me that it had happened to her. She was fitting a woman for a crown and it slipped out of her grasp and patient swallowed it! Lady said she'd pay for a new crown if such a thing ever happened again as "recovery" was too, too ghastly for her, apparently! Rosemary, Sarge, CL, Andre, Flamin'; R/CL; Big Den/A, Flamin's brother, from Dartmouth, for wedding, stayed with us while here; Den; Sarge and Roger, another of Flamin's brothers, this morning at 6:00 am before Sarge drove them to airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment