Wednesday 15 April 2015

Rosie-the-Riveter Coat-Hanger Arrivederci Blues: Wednesday, April 15th!

The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic, and to some extent even antibiotic -- in short, the closest thing to a genuine panacea -- known to medical science is work. -Thomas Szasz, author, professor of psychiatry (15 Apr 1920-2012) 

 
Bibliogony: 


MEANING:
noun: The art of producing or publishing books. Also known as bibliogenesis.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek biblio- (book) + -gony (origin). Earliest documented use: 1835.


Hi Sara! Thanks very much for the two messages, albeit the first one with difficult news. In fact, I had just read the notice of Wila's death, sent out on the Emeritii list by Nadine/Iza. We were in Kamloops for a wedding this past weekend and I am just now attempting to catch up on my email. Of course, I was deeply saddened to learn of Wila's death. I also had a couple of messages from Margaret Friesen and she mentioned that Wila had been suffering from Alzheimers for the last ten years, under Andrew's care, at home. By all accounts she was as comfortable as possible, under circumstances, to the end.
 

At the other end of the emotional spectrum, I was delighted to hear about David Truelove's pending retirement. Do you know if there will be any sort of party. If so, I'd like to attend if that might be possible. I'll probably give David Winter a call and suss things out.


Off to ride shortly. Wind not nearly as strong as yesterday, according to last look at AccuWeather! Thanks again for forwarding news. Fondesos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Wedding; Dusty's medication; Carmen Miranda and Cora Lee; ChloĆ« with Amanda, figure-skating friend, Groomswoman; Rosemary, Sarge, CL, Andre, Flamin'; R/CL; Big Den/A, Flamin's brother, from Dartmouth, for wedding, stayed with us while here; Den; Sarge and Roger, another of Flamin's brothers, this morning at 6:00 am before Sarge drove them to airport. 
 
Hello Sunshine Valley People! I must apologize for not replying to your last phone messagio, Big Al! Again, no excuses but plenty of reasons!  Didn't manage to leave for my ride until close to 1:30 pm although I was up by 6:00 am to make sure Big Den was ready to head downstairs. Sarge was dropping him and Roger The Dodger off at YVR on his way to work. Den was gone when I looked into his room. Learned later that he woke up at 5:00 am and had a shower and then went downstairs. I visited with them until 6:20 am and then said goodbye. Hope to see them a year this August, all going well, as they both plan to be back for Corey's wedding, planned for Kamloops, as well, as Beckster's family is from there.
 
Spent quite a bit of the morning re-arranging the spare bedroom so that we can store mcuh of the packing we will be doing over next little while. After a bowl of Rosita's delish chicken/vegetable soup I lubed and suited up. Made directly for UBC, via Spanish Banks and really, energetically dipsy-doodled my way around campus and the 16th/Imperial/ Camosun/Marine Loop to register enough distance to log 73 km by the time I was back home. Wind certainly wasn't as strong as blasts I had to fight yesterday but still a considerable effort required at times. Much sunnier than I had expected it to be so I was missing the sunglasses I thought I wouldn't need! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/747657916#.VS8GdkPivQ0.email

Wonderfully tantalizing smell of roasting chicken filled my nostrils as soon as I walked in the door. Rosie-the-Riveter and Dusty will be heading off to Winnipeg, early tomorrow morning, so ChloĆ« came over for dinner, "The Last Supper", so to speak, this evening. Cora Lee roasted two chickens and served twice-baked cauliflower, along with overleft kartofellage as well as a tomatoe/bococcini, fresh basil saladin! Chocolate cake with white icing for dessert and plenty of hootch all evening so a pretty good send off for Corinne's parents. Joanne came down to say goodbye to them so a few tears before she left and they went back to The Annexe for their last night there! 

Quite a change on the horizon as I know you understand! Will be in touch shortly, once I've had a chance to scope out size of truck we will rent. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Dog People! I must apologize for not replying to your last messagio, Calamity Jane! Our Easter was busy and most rewarding, for all sorts of reasons, chocolados being the least of them! Really enjoyed the snaps of Whirlygig and Morita. Congratulations to your Mom on her 80th! Hip Hip Hooray! Dusty will be 91 at the beginning of May. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!  


Thanks for the memories. They will be missed. Hi JT et al: Here are a few more snapolas from past week or so. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment