Friday 10 April 2015

The Naramata Garage Blues: Friday, April 10th!

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. -Anne Lamott, writer (b. 10 Apr 1954) 


Hi As usual you are busy and involved in all kinds of activities. I love your pictures! Here is a view from the apt we are in is time. It is lovely, but I prefer the dorm! I like being on campus with all the action! How many hours does it take to drive to Penticton? I doubt we would go, but you never know! 


At the moment, I wanted to see dinao and check out her life! Ha ha. I will let you know. One of these days I will write a more comprehensive email like yours! Flamin and Sarge are going to miss you, maybe they will move too? Take care! Rhoda

Hi Ski! Appreciated the snap from your apartmento as it brought back all sorts of fond memories of St Maarten! Penticton is about 4.5 hours from Vancouver, via the Hope/Princeton. Just a short note as I have to pack my clothes for the wedding weekend. Loaded the car last night, with the help of Big Den, Flamin's brother, (one with mustache in snaps), and pleased that we were able to pack in as many boxes/tubs as we did. Even have two bikes, (Cora Lee's and my newest Brodie), on the bike rack. Plan to leave aaround 9:00 am so as to avoid most of early morning rush hour.

Don't think we'll have to worry about Flamin' and Sarge missing us as Flamin' has already made a reservation for July! Come on up to Penticton and wine-taste and bike! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: JT, (neighbour), with Dangerous Darrows, under arrest, by Sarge! 

[Dear Nadine,
I have been reading the Emeriti List, but I have never
contributed to it, and I have no idea how to send a message to it.  This is a plea for help to post the following information:
 

Wila's daughter, Ewa and her husband Andrew wish to announce with great sadness the news that Wila has had a massive stroke and as a result of it, passed away a few days ago. Wila was a Senior Library Assistant in Inter-Library Loans Department under Margret Friesen for many years before retiring about 15 years  ago. She was Andrew Busza's wife, who was a professor of English at UBC, before retirement.  The memorial mass for her will be said at St. Mark's Church on April 18, 2015 at 2:00 P.M. If any one has any questions, please direct them to A. Busza.

I hope I'm not imposing on your kindness Nadine, but I know Wila had a lot of friends in the library who would be upset if no one informed them of her passing. Thank you in advance Iza Laponce]


Hi Bridgers, I could host Monday April 20 if that works. "MrT" I shall be on the High Seas and will be out of action until the end of May. Have fun, Roger 20th works for me. (It's my parent's 80th wedding anniversary.) I can host on the 27th. Anyone up for hosting this coming Monday? Cheers, R. We are especially missing Byron! I am not available on Monday. Wayne I'm away in the antipodes until May 11th. C From April signals, travels, we may find that we meet for Bridge just a couple of times a month during the glorious BC summertime? We may need another "Lord Byron" systems management flow-chart? Advice from Clive and from our "Bridge Master"? David Sarge will be busy with his son's wedding! Patrizzio!
Hola Pat and Corinne, Hope all is going well with your packing etc. We spent Easter weekend celebrating my mom's 80th birthday. My whole family came except for my sister's boys. Morita did very well and everyone loved her. Hope we can see you before you leave!! Cheers, Jane Victoria with M!! Jane xo

We left for Kamloops today, for the wedding of Megan and Ryan, Flamin's/Sarge's eldest, on Saturday. Since it would have been a bit of a tight squeeze for all five of us in one car, (Durstons and Chloë), we took two. This being the case, I crammed my car with as much as it would hold, along with two bikes we won't be using before we move, on the bike rack, to leave in the garage of close friends, Lynne/Peter Lighthall, couple we will travel to India with in October. It was an opportunity to begin decanting process and gives us a tad more room here. Perhaps more importantly, we picked up a case of wine for the wedding weekend, before we made for Kamloops!


Cora Lee drove her parents and Chloë rode shotgun with me. We left around 10:00 am on Friday and took the Hope-Princeton. Lady Mary went via the Coquihalla a bit later as they couldn't check in to hotel until after 4:00 pm anyway. Really enjoy the southern route as I find it much more picturesque. Not as high either so much better drive when snow is an issue. (This weekend past weekend was a case in point, as you may know!) Chloë is a great travelling companion as she talks, non-stop, as opposed to her mother who either sleeps or reads, and is very, very grumpy if I so much as ask her to open my thermos of java!

At any rate, we arrived in Naramata at just after 3:00 pm and Peter helped me stash all the cargo in a corner of the garage. Quick java while Lynne took
Chloë on a tour of their gorgeous home as she had never visited before. Thanking them we waved goodbye close to 4:00 pm and made straight for Township 7, (8 bottles, 4 Chardonnay, 4 Sauvignon Blanc ), and then Upper Bench, (4 bottles, 2 Pinot Blanc, 2 Pinot Gris), all 2013 vintages, as well as a number of the the wonderful cheeses they produce. As you probably know, both wineries are fairly close to each other and on the road back to Penticton so we didn't have to go out of our way to hit the Connector when making for Kamloops. By the time we were on 97C it was just after 5:00 pm so I estimated we wouldn't make Kamloops until close to 8:00 pm. However, I had forgotten that speed limit is 120 kph for most of the way so we pulled into the parking lot of the Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre at 7:30 pm, smooth sailing all the way.

Rosita had made a crock-pot of meatballs and a large tureen of mashed spuds before leaving Vancouver so our dinner was waiting. Friends, Lurch and Grogg, had eaten with Corinne and her parents and gang were playing bridge when we arrived. All of Clan Sutherland's family were at the wedding rehearsal, with dinner afterwards, but a goodly number of other invitees dropped by as we had told everyone that we were hosting an open-house of sorts. Loads of fun and plenty of hootch so it was past midnight before we knew it.

Greetings from room 337 North Wing Are having dinner with you? We have the fry pan, and can pick up cheeses, bread and a salad. No worries if you don't have enough food...Left Corinne a message on her cell...Cheers, G&F We will have to taste the Rockford Shiraz tonight! 






No comments:

Post a Comment