Sunday 10 May 2015

Happy (Earth) Mother's Day Blues: Sunday, May 10th!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. -Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (1875-1965) 


Chloe Alexis Dunn A little throwback to me and my mom enjoying my first birthday!! After some food, wine and a couch snuggle there is nothing like some quality mom time. — with Corinne Durston. Chloe Alexis Dunn Happy Mothers Day Nana!!! I love you. Ayn P I love that you have a little phone with you... Xoxo Chloe Alexis Dunn My first cell Krissy Seymour Awwwww chloe sausage! Patrick James Dunn As I recall, she wanted to ring Pig on the Street for take-out, a bacon brownie!
[Patrick James Dunn Library School Cool! Joanna Rood I remember these days! We were cool.]

Ciao Patricio, oh...did not know Island Inn will have a farewell... thank you for inviting me! I am away to Texas this weekend and unfortunately wont be able to come. Hope you are well, so are yours. I am busy as always, but will have a break (will play tennis in Dallas - small 3 days tournament). Misha (K)       Hi Misha (K)! Sorry we won't see you on the 23rd but Buona Fortuna with tennis in Texas! Trust we will see you in the Okanagan at some point in the not too, too distant future, on The Island of Penticton! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Wayne Sutherland shared a memory Patrick James Dunn Happy Mother's Day Flamin'! Look at your baby chicks now! Congratulations on a job more than well done, (with a little help from Sarge, of course)! 

Marvelous Mother's Day ride, although quite a bit of high cloud cover. This being the case, it was pretty good weather for a longish ride, not too, too warm, and not too, too cool. Started off with the Olympic Village standby to put me at 24 km when I left Kits Point. Already having logged such distance I knew I'd be in terrific shape for an Iona junket, all of the various stretches falling into place as I ticked them off. Past Crown I encountered a "police incident" on Marine and Dunbar but dipsy-doodled my way out of the flashing light bottle-neck to keep on towards Barnard. Did a couple of lops here, to the Musqueam Marina and back, twice, so that when I hit CSTB, I had logged 50 km. Not much more than autopilot from there until I hit Iona and did that loop to register 70  km by the time I was back on Marine and heading for campus. Smooth sailing from then on, trying to push my AVG, hoping to register 23 kph by the time I was home. Could only achieve 22.9 kph on last stretches where I could make any speed, Point Grey Rd and slight incline past Kits Pool, so decided I'd keep going past Heartbreak Terrace, on Lamey's Mill Road to see if I could break the 23 kph barrier. Did just that by the time I'd reached Olympic Village and turned off my Garmin at the Salt Bldg as I was a'feared that the head wind, on the return stretch home, would cause me to drop below this AVG. Need not have worried, [But how was I to know?], as the AVG for that short stretch was 23.8 kph! Nevertheless, overly chuffed with the day's results, manipulated or not!  
 Stats for ride:
 https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/771168241#.VVA-tM2E9tw.email
 Stats for short ride:
 https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activit/771168234#.VVBCknfz1ws.email  
Great photos--so glad that you were able to talk to Tip. This is a difficult time. Happy Mother's Day to Corinne! Take care Lots of love for now Jo-Anne
Hi Jo-Anne: I thought of you each time I rode past or near the Education Building, [Friday, Saturday, Sunday], on my weekend rides. Hope return to work is going smoothly.

Enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day dinner at Chloë's place this evening. She had hoped to use Spot Prawns in the risotto she was planning but season doesn't start for a few days, I gather. Cora Lee had requested them. Believe Mother's Day was later last year. At any rate, we had a delightful evening, eating and drinking while watching Game of Thrones, followed by a new series, Grace and Frankie:

For as long as they can recall, Grace and Frankie have been rivals. Their one-upmanship comes crashing to a halt, however, when they learn that their husbands have fallen in love with each other and want to get married. As everything around the ladies is coming apart, the only thing they can really rely on is each other. This Netflix original re-teams Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin ("9 to 5") as Grace and Frankie, respectively, bringing their chemistry to the small screen. It's a casting reunion on a grand scale, as Tomlin is reunited with her co-star from "The West Wing," Martin Sheen, who plays Grace's husband, Robert. And Fonda is back with Sam Waterston, her co-star from "The Newsroom," who plays Frankie's husband, Sol.

Loads of fun in case you've not heard about it.

Earlier that day we took over a car-load of boxes to close friends in East Van. It was their eldest daughter's 3rd birthday on the weekend and husband's parents, from Penticton, were in town to celebrate her birthday. They very kindly offered to take a load back to the Okanagan in their truck so we were more than happy to accept their generous offer. It turns out that they don't live all that far from our new place and will keep everything until we are ready to collect it.

In this vein, we are off to spend the long-weekend at Little Shushwap, with very close friends from Squamish, at their marvellous family cabin there. Will drive up this coming Thursday to leave another load in Naramata, with Lynne and Peter Lighthall, (and spend the night), before continuing north on Friday, wine-tasting en route! At this rate, as far as pre-move "muleage" is going, we'll be able to cancel our U Haul!

Must away as Cora Lee is making threatening noises about remaining "on task!", even this late in the evening! Before dinner at Chloë's, we popped into a friend's workplace, not far from where Chloë's lives, to pick up about ten more boxes, ideal for the remaining books yet to pack. No rest for those about to move! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Ayn and Chloë posted these two snaps for Mother's Day. First one was taken in my last year of Library School, (Corinne's first), second on Chloë's 1st birthday, year Corinne graduated from LS. Dinner earlier this evening. 
Hi Elaine! Thanks again, to you and Stephanie, for the lovely, lovely brunch, as well as for arranging for us to have more things taken to Penticton. Certainly much appreciated, as I'm sure you know. At this rate, as far as pre-move "muleage" is going, we'll be able to cancel our U Haul! Wonderful to see Will's/Steph's  new place so that was fun as well. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Today's brunch and dinner.
Aside from the obvious (our dad and us) there are photos of the Lorraine cousins, taken whilst we were touring Metz together, American friend Michelle Hoffman in St. Germain en Laye near Paris, and our beloved Sabrina with her boyfriend Pierre in Bordeaux. The one of me with the wineglasses is in a little Cave near Bergerac, Domaine de l'ancienne cure. A little wine puts a smile on the face, doesn't it? Enjoy, good to be home! David

No comments:

Post a Comment