Sunday 28 June 2015

Falcon Lake Granfondo Blues: Sunday, June 28th!

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, “It depends.” And what it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is. -Kenneth G. Wilson, author and professor (1923-2003) 


Thanks for your email. I'm glad you had the visit with my brother and Shirley. I too hope for one of those wonderous thunder storms that are so unique to the prairies. It sounds like your reunion was fun; as well. See you later in the year. I would still love to stay at your house.....probably from November 12th until your return. Talk soon.

Hi Vinnie the All-purpose Flour Philanthropist! Thanks so much for starting off my campaign! You are the first individual to contribute and certainly very much appreciated. At this point, I really don't have any specific monetary goal in mind but any amount will help Aunt Leah's. Also part of raising public awareness. You may have seen some of what follows but in case not:

Had a simply wonderful day yesterday when I rode out to Brereton Lake around 11:30 am. We had been invited to the cabin of one of my Daniel McIntyre classmates, Greg Lampert, when we reconnected on Friday at our home-room, high-school, Daniel McIntyre, 50th reunion at Rae & Jerry's Steak House. The Wind Gods smiled upon me for most of ride and I literally sailed along with the their considerable help generating a 25 kph AVG, an almost unheard of pace for me. About 5-7 km from Brereton itself, I had to ride into the wind but was able to maintain the rate so was more than chuffed! Even saw my first black bear as it scampered across the road and into the bush, just before Lily Pond, a small lake one passes en route to Rennie. At any rate, very good "sprint" training for the coming Penticton GranFondo on July 12th, not that I'll be doing any real sprinting in that event. More a matter of survival and simply finishing the 160 km route!

As well, friend, Lynette, (She is the mother of Chloë's friend Maya), had put us in touch with her brother, Darryl, and he had invited us to their place at Moonlight Bay on West Hawk, at 2:00 pm. After visiting with Greg and Gloria were were an hour late but Shirley and Darryl were very gracious about our impolite arrival and we had a lovely visit in their remarkable home. We sat downstairs in the screened in porch room overlooking the dock and Moonlight Bay itslef. What a setting! Shortly after we arrived the thunder started and then the heavens opened. Shirley and Cora Lee had to move from their seats near the screened wall as the rain was pelting down and there were whitecaps on the lake! Nevertheless we spent a most amicable couple of hours visiting and getting to know one another. Everyone, other than Cora Lee, enjoyed some incredibly tasty cinnamon buns Darryl had purchased at the grocery store in Keewatin, a small community on the outskirts of Kenora.


Thanking them for their welcome and generous hospitality we left around 5:00 pm. On the way out we had to dodge large fallen branches and once back on the paved road we noticed that the hydro/telephone wires beside the road had been brought down by a huge tree which had obviously been blown down, not far from Penniac Bay, not far from the turn-off to Falcon Lake. Rather exciting, to say the least. Needed a bottle of wine once back at Ace Bay to settle our nerves!

Off shortly to do one more ride here before packing the car. Hope to manage 140 km, variation/elongation of yesterday's route, but we shall see what we shall see. Hoping to try out my "double" bladder camel pack. I have enough room in knapsack to carry two bladders so I want to see how this configuration works as constant hydration over 160 km is a critical issue, especially when one is barred from touching the  Dreaded Burning Ground at aid stations along the route! Day is starting to heat up so must away. Thanks again, muchly, for your donation. Fondestos to you and Donna Florida from Lady Mary. Cheers, Rizzzzzzzzzo! Pics: Brereton Lake and Moonlight Bay!

Hi Chloë and Goils! Buona Fortuna with walk! Hope you are feeling well enough to participate. Glad you liked the link, etc. I've already received my first doantion from David in Berkeley! I will probably try to do a shorter version once back in Penticton, akin to sort Ryan posted for Scotiabank run/walk.

Had a simply wonderful day yesterday when I rode out to Brereton Lake around 11:30 am. We had been invited to the cabin of one of my Daniel McIntyre classmates, Greg Lampert, when we reconnected on Friday at our home-room, high-school, Daniel McIntyre, 50th reunion at Rae & Jerry's Steak House. The Wind Gods smiled upon me for most of ride and I literally sailed along with the their considerable help generating a 25 kph AVG, an almost unheard of pace for me. About 5-7 km from Brereton itself, I had to ride into the wind but was able to maintain the rate so was more than chuffed! Even saw my first black bear as it scampered across the road and into the bush, just before Lily Pond, a small lake one passes en route to Rennie. At any rate, very good "sprint" training for the coming Penticton GranFondo on July 12th, not that I'll be doing any real sprinting in that event. More a matter of survival and simply finishing the 160 km route!

As well Lynette had put us in touch with her brother, Darryl, and he had invited us to their place at Moonlight Bay at 2:00 pm. After visiting with Greg and Gloria, (They both said to send along best wishes and hellos to you!), we were an hour late but Shirley and Darryl were very gracious about our impolite arrival and we had a lovely visit in their remarkable home. We sat downstairs in the screened in porch room overlooking the dock and Moonlight Bay itslef. What a setting! Shortly after we arrived the thunder started and then the heavens opened. Shirley and Cora Lee had to move from their seats near the screened wall as the rain was pelting down and there were whitecaps on the lake! Nevertheless we spent a most amicable couple of hours visiting and getting to know one another. Everyone, other than Cora Lee, enjoyed some incredibly tasty cinnamon buns Darryl had purchased at the grocery store in Keewatin, the small community on the outskirts of Kenora.

Thanking them for their welcome and generous hospitality we left around 5:00 pm. On the way out we had to dodge large fallen branches and once back on the paved road we noticed that the hydro/telephone wires beside the road had been brought down by a huge tree which had obviously been blown down, not far from Penniac Bay, not far from the turn-off to Falcon Lake. Rather exciting, to say the least. Needed a bottle of wine once back at Ace Bay to settle our nerves!

Off shortly to do one more ride here before packing the car. Hope to manage 140 km, variation/elongation of yesterday's route, but we shall see what we shall see. Hoping to try out my "double" bladder camel pack. I have enough room in knapsack to carry two bladders so I want to see how this configuration works as constant hydration over 160 km is a critical issue, especially when one is barred from touching the  Dreaded Burning Ground at aid stations along the route! Day is starting to heat up so must away.  Fondestos, Love and  Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio The "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Aid Stations" Penniac Pedaler!

Hi Pat and Corrine see you tomorrow there will be five of us for supper so whatever you want to bring let us know if you need us to prepare anything Dallas
 

Hi Dallas! Thanks for message. Don't worry about preparing anything but thanks for offer, of course. How is Judy?

Perhaps the best and longest run here in the Whiteshell this visit. Left at just after 11:00 am and had decided I'd stitch together all of the shorter runs I've made over the last few weeks. In the end, all worked out wonderfully, starting with the South Shore loop, then into Falcon town-site, then the West Hawk loop. Next it was the hill into Ingolf followed by the run towards Rennie, turning right before there to retrace my ride to Brereton. Just past the small grocery store there and then it was back towards Rennie. Through the town, such as it is, and on for two km before turning around. Had had to battle a pretty strong head wind most of way, right from the get go but my slogging had paid off as now I could unfurl my cycling sails and breeze along. Pretty happy about how my legs felt and they held me in good stead from Toniata to home as due to the twists and curves of the road by this time I was back into the damnable head wind whistling right out of the west, screaming, uninterrupted with nary a wind break, funneling down the Trans Canada, smack dab in my face. Pleasd as pucn I was able to keep my AVG from dropping and I whooshed into Ace Bay with an AVG of 24 kph, a record for me over this distance. AS well, my dual bladder camel pack, along with my water bottle provided me with plenty of liquid so I plan to replicate this hydration package during the GranFondo itself. Grand training run so Penticton here I come! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/818164048#.VZC9uQGWudo.email

Home to shower and change and then enjoy a wonderful dinner. It was George's 63rd birthday so Barb had prepared a lovely meal. After he opened his presents I started to load the car. WE have to leave by 7:00 am tomorrow morning as I plan to go on a tour of Daniel McIntyre, high school, with a number of other classmates, at 9:00 am. Then we will have lunch with Vera Keys, friend you may remember form Mom's memorial.

I assume we will be knocking on your door around 5:00 pm, or earlier. Would like to stop and pay our respects at Chapel Lawn since it is right on the way. Look forward to seeing everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Lovely to read of the prairie and Canadian shield summer report, leaves me quite nostalgic. Peaceful travels and continued visits with friends and family. Love to all. Adrian, Anu, and Faelan Live from a sweltering Cortesia

Hello Sweltering Cortesians, et al! I assume you are sitting outside, nekkid, on your new/old deck chairs! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Wish I had two bladders myself sometimes! So you now have to worry about dodging major branches in major storms, a far cry from the security of Granville but you walk out your door and you are ready to ride through the country. I know you love that.
 

I have a cold, but will attempt some laps this morning. Sorry about Canada's loss to England; I was trying to boot the Maples Leafs home but it's so tough to score at that level of competition. Tootaloo. I remember Maya, by the way; is one of the ladies pictured her? Cactus

Hi Vinnie! Sorry to hear you have a cold. Know precisely what you mean about two bladders!!! Thanks for cheering on our women's team. I was disappointed as well. No, Maya, was not in any of the snaps, only Gloria, Greg's wife, and Shirley, Darryl's wife. Maya now lives on the Sunshine Coast working in the pubic library there! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment