Wednesday 24 June 2015

Kenora Farmer's Market Blues: June 24th!

Patriotism, n. Combustible rubbish ready to the torch of any one ambitious to illuminate his name. In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit it is the first. -Ambrose Bierce, writer (24 Jun 1842-1914) 


Hi Patrick Thanks for all the news - no I didn't see jeans pics - can you give me her married name as nothing comes up under jean weaver. Will catch up soon xx P and m


Hi Pénélope! Will recount this version of your name below but Jean's married name is Homsy. I told her that her daughter looked very much like her when we met, just out of Liverpool, in 1970! Hard to believe that was 45 years ago, Grandmother!


[The New bulbs are in! Signs looking great! They were on warranty, so all good, no extra cost. Fingers crossed... hope these ones are going to last!]

With respect to your name, back in Penticton, I had been out riding in the evenings, after the heat of the day begins to wane, and have simply headed for OK Falls as it is a relatively easy 50 km return ride, (with a few dipsy-doodles thrown in to make that distance), given that Mme Coriandre becomes quite fussy if I'm back after 9:00 pm and dinner is jeopardized! A few Wednesdays ago, around 8:00 pm, I was on the return leg, climbing McLean Creek Road, just past Meyer Family Vineyards, when a couple passed me. We exchanged pleasantries and I thought that that was the last I'd see of them. However, I started to gain on the female rider near the top of the hill, (Peach Cliff Mountain, I think, but a stunning rock face whatever its name happens to be!), and decided I'd see if I could catch up.

Once I'd crested the hill it didn't take me long and I was soon cycling beside them. I asked if they were training for the GranFondo, this coming July 12th, but the young woman said that they were too busy with work. Of course I asked what they did and she said they were both wine-makers for Intersection Winery, south of Oliver. Couldn't believe my ears as we know the owners! Bruce Schmidt, one of the partners, is the third husband of Ginette Bertrand, Andrew Sredzki's first wife! Not sure if you remember or not but she called you Pénélope, (pronounced to rhyme with canteloupe!), when I introduce you to them, during your visit to Winnipeg, and I've never forgotten this! We have seen Ginette and Bruce a number of times in Vancouver and I'm in touch with Ginette via email and Facebook.

At any rate, I soon learned that Pénélope
and Dylan Roche were married with two sons, 3 and 6. She is originally from Bordeaux, he from North Van and they met in NZ, both working at wineries near Napier! Believe they spent 7 years in France after that and then Dylan worked at Stag's Hollow, in OK Falls, for 7 or 8 months before going to Intersection, near Oliver, south of OK Falls. They also make their own label there, Roche: Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Rosé. For a number of logistical/chronological reasons we have never visited Intersection but plan to do so over the coming summer. Perhaps we should wine-taste there when you are over in September and you can meet your name double!

Needless to say, it was quite a wonderful ride home, particularly since I drafted all the way along Skaha were the headwind is always ferocious! Invited them in for a drink as they live but a few minutes away, up towards Naramata, on Cambie. Not sure exactly where. They were pleased to pop by but only to say hello and have a glass of water as they had to be home as their baby-sitter had school next day. Anyway, a lovely, lovely couple and I hope we will see more of them in the future. Both are very, very decent cyclists but I think they don't have as much time to devote to the activity with work and family. I certainly had my work cut out for me just to keep up and I certainly don't normally average the pace they set, 30 kph +/-, on the flat, heading into the wind! Stats for ride:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/814058152#.VYs-bBKMliw.email

Anyway, I think the wedding was somewhere near Beirut. Looked like a pretty gala affair. Off to the Farmer's Market in Kenora, about 40 minutes from here, not far over the Manitoba/Ontario border. On the way we go past the turn-off to War Eagle Lake where Corinne's sister, Pam, and her husband, Greg, have a fabulous property right on the lake. Will probably have lunch in Kenora as there is a very attractive boardwalk there with a number of restaurants overlooking the complex of water known as Lake of the Woods, very well known for tremendous fishing. The intertwined lakes reach into the US. Fondestos and Cheers, for now. Patrizzio!

Hi patrizio I have made contact with jean and she is coming to London on 3rd September so I will have a lot of news when we meet in the okanagan! Hope you are enjoying your new home - did you give me the address and tel no? If not please do so I can send you a card xx

Hi again, Pénélope! Great that you re-connected with Jean. Will be terrific for you to meet up before you head to Canada so you can fill us in! Cheers, Patrizzio!
P, thanks for keeping us in the loopage. Building project and the share cropping is keeping me hopping here but all is good. The wild dog is herding us around, nipping at our heals.

Keep me posted as to your plans to be in the lower mainland. Maybe we can get together. Jane and I would like to visit Tummler's Reach but it may be fall before we can get there. Let us know when you are heading to India. Safe travels/riding. Fond regards to all, G


Hi Galiano Ganja Man! Pleased to hear that the cash-crop/share-cropping is paying for your "monster home" project. Any snaps of work to date? Is Morita nipping at the cuts and scrapes of your healed wounds, inflicted by nails and re-bar, or have you smoked too, too much home-grown Paregoric to spell "heels" correctly!

We will be in Vancouver around July 14th as Lady Mary is off to New York on the 16th so I'm chauffeuring her into town. Since I'll be in Vancouver anyway, I decided I'd stay for the weekend to take in the Folk Fest so I'll be around, at least until Monday, the 20th. Perhaps we can arrange to meet up at some point. Anyway, I'm sure we'll be in touch before then. Here is ur new house phone number in case I've not passed it along. In October, we will be in town around the 16th +/-, as we are volunteering for the VWF from the 19th to the 25th, leaving for Inja on the 27th!

Had the following from Robo Man, in case you have not been in touch lately, so all seems to be going well for him. Not sure when trip to England is happening

Around 10:30 am we drove to the Farmer's Market in Kenora, about 40 minutes from here, not far over the Manitoba/Ontario border. On the way we go past the turn-off to War Eagle Lake where Corinne's sister, Pam, and her husband, Greg, have a fabulous property right on the lake. Will probably have lunch in Kenora as there is a very attractive boardwalk there with a number of restaurants overlooking the complex of water known as Lake of the Woods, very well known for tremendous fishing. The intertwined lakes reach into the US.

As it turned out, after we scoped out all the stalls under the Big Roof, we decided simply to have some of the wonderful chips produced by an iconic food truck, The Chip Man, and sat at a shaded picnic table to eat our picnic lunch. The Sisterhood took off after polishing off their tatters and went shopping across the street at the many boutiques which lure the tourist crowd. While Dusty and I were "attacking" the wonderful cinnamon buns The Goils had picked up for us at the market, a friendly chap asked if he could join us. I said there was a $5 fee so he thought that wasn't too bad!

Turned out he, Roger McCraw, (Quick Draw!), is a JP and was just on his lunch break from a court session. Extremely interesting, wonderfully friendly gentleman. He lives on the
Eagle Lake First Nation reserve just outside of Kenora. One thing led to another and I mentioned Joseph Boyden. Turned out that Roger had met him a few weeks ago, in Ottawa, at an event having to do with the release of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report. Exchanged email addresses so perhaps our paths will cross in the future.

Bit of shopping in town and then home by 3:00 pm. Suited up as soon as we'd unloaded car and headed out just before 4:00 pm. Made for the South Shore and when I'd completed the first loop I had an AVG of 24 kph. Was quite pleased and decided I'd dipsy-doodle around Falcon townsite to log enough distance to give me 51 km if I did another South Shore loop. The road winds through heavy forest and brush and so is sheltered from most of the monster head winds. Felt pretty good as I pounded away so I'm hoping that my legs are starting to get in GranFondo shape. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/814058152#.VYs-bBKMliw.email   

Into The Peg in the morning, domani, seeing a number of friends and family members. Cora Lee's niece, Marlo, and her husband, Ryan, have installed a number of new doors, patio and front, and we'd like to take a look at them as we want to put a door in study to gain access to patio and perhaps replace front door, although latter is not a priority. Plan to pop by MEC here as I will need more Nuun tablets by the time we are back in Penticton. Want to have plenty for training rides before GF and for event itself. As well, it is believed that when Dusty was clearing out the corner of the cabin where he is doing some shingling he threw out my chain oil and an expensive spray bottle of "green" deodorant Cora Lee insists I use for my clip-ons. Both were in a box with rags I was using to clean my Trek and I think he thought everything was destined for the dump. Even checked the two "bear-proof" garbage collection huts around the bay from here where he had made a run yesterday but garbicians had been and gone! Glad he is not near my malt cabinet!!!

Hoping to log a ride Friday morning before my 50th high-school, home room class reunion luncheon at 1:00 pm. Fondestos and Cheers, for now. Patrizzio!

Pics: Some of the gorgeous flowers in Dusty's garden; Tireless worker. You need him on your construction site! Going to the Farmer's Market; Mosquitoe Protection Program! Quick Draw and Dusty; take a cruise; float planes are a fact of life here.


Hello Bakery Delivery Man!
Sorry to miss you as well but delighted we will see you toward the end of August! Just have to blink our eyes and that time will be here before we know it! Hellos and best wishes from Clarisse and Dusty, and Mme Coriandre as well, of course, all watching Wheel of Fortune as I scribe! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello!!! I can't believe you have moved away! I hope it went smoothly and you've settled in okay. I can't imagine packing everything up, what a grand effort that must have been! I am heading to Penticton at the end of July, will you be around if I try to pop by? I am going with some girlfriends to a VRBO accommodation up Naramata Road. We are bringing our bikes and plan on doing some riding between wineries! I hope to talk and see you soon! Much love, E

Hello Aquitaine! How lovely to hear from you and learn that you will be in the Okanagan at teh end of July. We'll be home. If you come up early you are more than welcome to stay for a night or two so think about that!

Had a long ride, for me at least, this past Sunday so I'll be ready for you and the rest of your Babes! Hellos and best wishes from Clara, Dusty and Lady Mary! Look forward to your visit and catching up, let alone all the never-ending wine-tasting! Fondestos and Cheers, for now. Patrizzio!

hi patrick, thank-you for this. congrats to dusty and cora on an unbelievable milestone. get those kms in! love to all. do you have an e mail for greg ;take care matt

Hi Glasgow! Pleased to hear that NY was wonderful, with Sascha and Daniel, her boyfriend? What a golf getaway that must have been with Sir Andrew and The Sadistic Surveyor! Sorry to hear about Hop-Along but she can relax in Penticton, between wineries! Had a short note from Whirlygig and he seems to be doing well with the addition to his place. Clara and Dusty thank you for your best wishes and send along hellos and warm greetings as well, to you both. Cheers,  Patrizzio! Hi again, Glasgow! Forgot to include Grogg's email address. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Pat got your message and yes you are welcome to stay anytime. Drop us an email the night before and we'll be ready. Enjoyed the pics that you sent very much it was nice seeing Sally and family good to hear that Filmer is doing better. Just got home from Winnipeg tonight Judy's surgery went well, she is sore but doing ok the drive home was long for her I think. Anyhow see you on the 29th and ya a bbq would be great see you soon Dallas Clara and Dusty sure look good forgot to mention that before.

Hello Kenton! Very pleased to hear that Judy's surgery went well. Not surprised she is sore and found the drive tiring. Best wishes to her. Hope she is feeling a lot better soon. Glad you enjoyed the snaps of Sally and family. Will chat more about them when we see you. Hope to pop around to their place, either tomorrow or Friday to say hello and goodbye.

Thanks for having us again. Much appreciated. We'll bring everything for dinner so please don't make any other preparations. Will probably call on Sunday if I don't send a message. Fondestos and Cheers, for now. Patrizzio!

Hello Quick Draw! Lovely to meet you this afternoon and chat so amicably. Thought I'd include Clara's/Dusty's wedding picture, taken 70 years ago, in Dauphin, as well. You are always welcome in Penticton if you are planning on visiting BC. All the best, Roger, and I do trust that our paths will cross again in the not too, too distant future. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi D, Did you transfer $100?? What's the extra for? Night. Love you. xx 
 
 



  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment