Monday 22 June 2015

Rainy Day Falcon Lake Blues: Monday, June 22nd!

Him that I love, I wish to be free -- even from me. -Anne Morrow Lindbergh, author and aviator (22 Jun 1906-2001) 


Hello Mr VanForFilm Man! Trust you are well, Ian! We drove from Penticton, week ago today and arrived at Falcon Lake on Wednesday. Life has been a whirlwind ever since as it was my in-law's 70th wedding anniversary. Wonderful time but extremely busy, as you can well imagine.

[Sonja Ruevekamp This is my current lifestyle.] If we were still in Vancouver would certainly have wanted to attend your next screening. Did see The Tracker, [The year is 1922. The Tracker, legendary Aboriginal actor and Australian icon David Gulpilil, has the job of pursuing The Fugitive, an aborigine who is suspected of murdering a white woman, as he leads three mounted policemen: The Fanatic, The Follower and also The Veteran across the outback. The Tracker, a mysterious and enigmatic figure whose true character remains unknown, assists them in their quest. As they move deeper into the bush and further away from civilization, the toxic forces of paranoia and violence begin to escalate, stirring up questions of what is black and what is white and who is leading whom. Their journey becomes an acrimonious and murderous trek that shifts power from one man to another, challenged by the indigenous people they come across as well as each other.], at some point along the way, but cannot remember where and when. As mentioned, would like to see it again as it is such a powerful film. 

David Gulpilil's life has been one of dueling lifestyles, with his jet-setting movie star life on a completely different plane from his life as an Aboriginal village elder. At the age of 17, Gulpilil made history as the first Aboriginal actor to appear on film -- in Nicolas Roeg's 1971 Walkabout -- which, in turn, led to an historic acting career that culminated in his receiving numerous awards and an Order of Australia medal. All the while, Gulpilil remained true to his culture by accepting his tribal responsibilities, which include living in a primitive house and procuring his household's daily food and water.
 
At any rate, have been meaning to send along a few snaps for ages so finally have a moment to do so. Had a grand 121 km ride yesterday but it is pouring today so I'm catching up on messaging. Life, so far, goes well in Penticton, although we are not finished un-packing. Starting to settle in, however, and will continue the process once we return, probably around the end of this month. We will be home until July 14th as Lady Mary is off to New York on the 16th so I'm chauffeuring her into town. Since I'll be in Vancouver anyway, I decided I'd stay for the weekend to take in the Folk Fest so I'll be around, at least until Monday, the 20th. Will you be at the Folk Fest? Perhaps we'll bump into one another, if so.  Anyway, keep in touch. You are always welcome to stay at our place if "up country"! I've included our new home phone number. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Looking forward to seeing you, Pat and to meet your wife.  I am preparing name tags and place cards.  Send me her name please !  The man in the photo is your grandfather or father ? You certainly look a lot like him ! Till Friday ! Erika 

Hi Erika! Not sure if you are just being considerate or not but the pictures were all of me! I think Ron was being a tad cruel when he referred to male in picture as "my grandfather"! Hard to believe that we, (At least those fortunate enough to still be kicking around!), are all in our late 60's now!

My wife's name is Corinne Durston but I refer to her as Cora Lee, an affectionate nickname, or Mme Coriandre or Lady Mary, (of Downtown Abby fame), other monikers that have evolved over the years. Take your pick. Again, thanks for everything. As you say, till Friday. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Dear Patrick Haven't heard from you for a long time. Hope you and Corinne are well. Touch base when you can would love to hear from you. Jo-Anne and Colin

Hi Jo-Anne! Sorry that it has taken me so long to send along a message. Before I go any further, I wanted to say how saddened we were to hear about Pat's death. What a blow for Tip and Jim and Dan. Thank you for letting me know although I had also heard from Chloë and some of her friends who knew Pat. I assume that there will be a memorial service of some sort so if you have any details I'd much appreciate knowing them, although we probably wouldn't be able to attend unless service is in July. 
 
As you know we were headed to Manitoba
and being on the road has often made Internet access a bit limited. Furthermore, here in Falcon, I have had to resort to taking my laptop just across the way from Corinne's parent's place to her brother's home. The satellite signal does not seem to carry well enough to where we are staying to have workable WiFi so that is another wrinkle to contend with.

Must have been tired from yesterday's ride as I didn't roll out of bed until almost 8:30 am. Dusty was already up and I enjoyed one of his wonderful breakfasts, pancakes, back bacon and sausages! Cup of java later and I was back at Giorgio's as it was raining heavily. Hope to go for a much shorter, stretch ride later as forecast suggests that there might be a window of opportunity this afternoon, around 2:00 pm. Trust all goes well with you and hope your physio is helping. Cora Lee sends along best wishes to you both. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Snaps: Quinn and Rachel, Patti's oldest daughter. Although a very high functioning Down syndrome individual, she can be a handful at times. Over the course of this visit a planned trip to Winnipeg had to be cancelled as Rachel had a "melt-down". Any changes to her schedule can trigger such outbursts so this is simply a fact of family life. That being said, Patti and Gavin have done a remarkable job of parenting under such difficult, trying circumstances, and Rachel is actually far better behaved than many "normal" children/young adults we have encountered. Wonderfully loving and affectionate most of the time.

Hi Val! Trust you are well. Has been a few years since last we saw one another. At any rate, Corinne and I drove from Penticton, (After 40 years in Vancouver we moved to a small bungalow we bought this past February, on May 29th! Much to tell but that will have to wait. With any luck we may be able to connect before we head back to BC on Monday, June 29th), a week ago today and arrived at Falcon Lake, two days later, on Wednesday.

We will be returning to the city this coming Thursday and I was hoping that we might have a chance for a brief visit. Whether you are even in town or too, too busy I have no way of knowing, of course. As well, I have misplaced/lost Nathaniel's phone number and I was hoping to chat with him about Harriet as I've had no reply to messages since we last saw them in Mexico, in 2011. If you receive this message, (I resorted to a Google search!), I'd certainly appreciate your phone number and address, (Are you still on Chestnut or is it Walnut? Again, my trusty address book is packed away, somewhere, amid a million boxes in our garage in Penticton!), along with any contact information you might have for Nathaniel.

Terribly sorry for the short notice. Once more, I trust all goes well with you, Drew, work and your family. Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide. Do hope we can connect, if only briefly. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Can also be reached at Corinne's parent's home number at Falcon Lake.

Snaps: Leaving our condo in Vancouver; first dinner party at 611 Burns Street, Penticton, although we are still far from un-packed; wine-tasting in Okanagan Falls, Liquidity Winery, about 20 minutes south of us, with close friends, Polly and Mick, from Vancouver, two weeks ago; around our new gas fire-pit, with the new patio furniture delivered but five minutes after we returned from wine-tasting, mentioned above! Corinne with Ryan, (He is married to Marlo.), and Carly, Marlo's younger sister, both nieces by way of Corinne's brother George, at anniversary bbq at Falcon this past Saturday.
 


Hi Ginette! Greetings from Falcon Lake! Trust you are well. Congratulations on award for Alluvia Merlot! Have been meaning to send this message for a couple of weeks now. No excuses but plenty of reasons.

At any rate,
before we left and to take a break from un-packing. On Wednesday, June 10th, I was on the return leg from OK Falls, climbing McLean Creek Road, just past Meyer Family Vineyards, when a couple passed me. We exchanged pleasantries and I thought that that was the last I'd see of them. However, I started to gain on the female rider near the top of the hill, (Peach Cliff Mountain, I think, but a stunning rock face whatever its name happens to be!), and decided I'd see if I could catch up. Once I'd crested the hill it didn't take me long and I was soon cycling beside them. I asked if they were training for the GranFondo but the young woman said that they were too busy with work. Of course I asked what they did and she said they were both wine-makers for Intersection Winery, south of Oliver. Couldn't believe my ears!

Please pass along the attached snaps as I don't have email addresses for
Pénélope and Dylan. As well, I would appreciate it if you could reiterate my thanks for the wonderful ride. Once home we certainly have Intersection on our list of wineries to visit. Hello to Bruce and Ryan. (I gather, from Famiglia Roche, that he has been working at the winery of late.) I phoned Andrew yesterday and had a long catch-up chat. He is now officially retired and I think he is pleased to be so. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Pénélope and Dylan at our place after ride.


Hello Mr Fjord! Sorry that it has taken me so long to send along a message. Before I go any further, I wanted to thank you again for calling before we moved. Very considerate indeed! Glad school is over and you are enjoying the summer. Fab snaps! I take it one is in the countryside, the other in the harbour. Where, exactly? In fact, I am, (along with about 10 other people), aging a cask of Shelter Point, Vancouver Island, Single Malt, to be ready in about two years now! Plan to plant grape vines and name them after Jo Nesbø  books!

Trust all continues to go well with you and hope your life is unfolding as you feel it should. Cora Lee sends along best wishes to you and encourages you to visit, whenever possible, as do I. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/813114562#.VYnubYOEubc.email

No comments:

Post a Comment