Thursday 11 June 2015

Rooms To Go Blues: Thursday, June 11th!



Patrick and Corinne, We have been searching for a phone number to call you but to no avail. We have thought of you often over the last month and felt sad knowing you were gone from Vancouver at the end of May. I am sure you are having exciting times getting settled in your new home. We would love to hear all about the move etc.

We may be through the Okanagan in July as we are going up to Salmo for my high school reunion - should be interesting as I have not been there or really connected with anyone since I graduated in 1962. On our way back to Vancouver we may come and have a coffee with you if you are home but we will connect with you first.

Gerry and I are off on Monday for separate trips. He is going golfing with 7 other fellows in Myrtle Beach and I am going to Tokyo. I am going alone and I am a bit apprehensive but also excited. Cheers, Dawn

Hello Famiglia Martini! Hard to believe that I received your message this morning as we, also, have been thinking of you two, in part spurred by the barely registered news, (So much to do that  I've not been able to absorb anything from the larger outside world but opening box after box after box!), that the Kitimat strike is over, if I remember correctly.), and the fact that I discovered Jeff's cutlery a few days ago! We decided to keep set as before we bought Burns Street Social House we imagined we might have a place with a rental suite. Could have used the knives and forks when we first arrives all our cutlery was back at The Annexe. (Another long, long painful story! We had to use all the plastic cutlery from our picnic basket. Made it a tad difficult to cut Cora Lee's dried out chicken! Oops!)

As you can well imagine it has been rather hectic since we left on May 29th but, all things considered, we are certainly making progress on the un-packing front and are more than enjoying being here. Much, much to tell but will wait until we are together, holding glasses of wine and malt! Cora Lee will be in New York, from July 16th to 26th, with friend Robyn. We'll drive into Vancouver on July 15th and she flies out on the evening of July 16th. I plan to attend Folk Fest, (17th-19th), since I'll be in town anyway, proably driving back on July 20th. Cora Lee
is back from The Big Apple, July 26th, and will take bus home next day.

I'm riding in the GranFondo on July 12th. We are off to Winnipeg on Monday, June 15th, stopping in Medicine Hat to stay with Jim Hillson for first night. (He is still smarting from your right-wing politics!), and will be back in Penticton at the end of June, early July, to prepare for ride. While away, much of my training will be at Falcon Lake. Not many hills but deserted roads for distance work. (By chance I am going to be able to attend my high-school home classroom reunion on June 26th. Just found out about it a few days ago and absolutley delighted that we are going to be in city around same time. Clara and Dusty's 70th wedding anniversary celebration is on June 19th.

Both your travel plans sound wonderful! We simply loved Tokyo and I'm sure you will as well, Donna Maria. City is really not as overwhelming as we thought it would be. We stayed but a few minutes form Central Station and could walk, quite easily, to The Ginza as well as Imperial Palace, etc. More like a series of small neighbourhoods, we discovered. Train/subway travel easy. Bravo for you. English wasn't a problem. Buy knives and drink plenty of Saki!

Whenever your schedule allows, you are welcome anytime we are here. (Even if not. Friends from Vancovuer are staying while we are in Winnipeg as we have a door pad.) Let us know about dates for Salmo reunion and truly hope we can see you before or after, or whenever things work. Our address is 611 Burns Street, Penticton, BC, V2A 4X2, 250-493-0092, (H)

In spite of glares from Lady Mary I have been out riding last three evenings, after the heat of the day begins to wane, and have simply headed for OK Falls as it is a relatively easy 50 km return ride, (with a few dipsy-doodles thrown in to make that distance), given that Mme Coriandre becomes quite fussy if I'm back after 9:00 pm and dinner is jeopardized! Last night, around 8:00 pm, I was on the return leg, climbing McLean Creek Road, just past Meyer Family Vineyards, when a couple passed me. We exchanged pleasantries and I thought that that was the last I'd see of them. However, I started to gain on the female rider near the top of the hill, (Bighorn Mountain, I think, but a stunning rock face whatever its name happens to be!), and decided I'd see if I could catch up. Once I'd crested the hill it didn't take me long and I was soon cycling beside them. I asked if they were training for the GranFondo but the young woman said that they were too busy with work. Of course I asked what they did and she said they were both wine-makers for Intersection Winery, south of Oliver. Couldn't believe my ears as we know the owners. Long story which must wait, for now, but I soon learned that
Pénélope and Dylan Roche were married with two sons, 3 and 6. She is originally from Bordeaux, he from North Van and they met in NZ, both working at wineries near Napier! Believe they spent 7 years in France after that and then Dylan worked at Stag's Hollow for 7 or 8 months before going to Intersection. They also make their own label there, Roche: Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Rosé.

Needless to say, it was quite a wonderful ride home, particularly since I drafted all the way along Skaha were the headwind is always ferocious! Invited them in for a drink as they live but a few minutes away, up towards Naramata, on Cambie. Not sure exactly where. They were pleased to pop by but only to say hello and have a glass of water as they had to be home as their baby-sitter had school next day. Anyway, a lovely, lovely couple and I hope we will see more of them in the future. Both are very, very decent cyclists but I think they don't have as much time to devote to the activity with work and family. I certainly had my work cut out for me just to keep up and I certainly don't normally average the pace they set, 30 kph +/-, on the flat, heading into the wind! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/800504228#.VXk66vopyLQ.email

Really looking forward to your visit. Let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, out watering her plants. Must away as of to Rona for fittings for two rain barrels we purchased earlier this week. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: New compost bin. Babes come in every week or so to turn over the contents and give massages after rides! Lynnette was our first "official" non-family overnight guest, this past Monday. Famiglia Roche. Note my ultra-clever Vivian Maier "selfie" in first shot, reflection in malt cabinet. How appropriate! Chaos Complete at Burns Street Social House! First dinner party, week ago Tuesday, with friends, Lynne and Peter, from Naramata. Peter has rose bushes growing at the ends of each row of vines, about a two acre property.


Another great ride to OK Falls this evening. Saw five deer, seven marmots and a beaver! Last was in a small pond, across the road from Skaha. Pretty slim pickings as far as trees go, in that area. Ferocious head wind so I really missed drafting behind Famiglia Roche, couple I met yesterday, near top of Bighorn Mountain, wine-makers at Intersection Winery, as it turns out. Think I have scoped out my next 100 km route. Plan to hit The Naramata first and then do the OK Falls loop. This coming Saturday or Sunday, I trust! Stats for this evening's ride:https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/801365011#.VXppzcbaTwY.email

Hi Ski! Are you still in Vancouver? I suppose not. If so, come on up to the Okanagan! Hard to believe that I received your message a week ago. Polly and Mick Carter are arriving for the night tomorrow. We will go wine-tasting after they arrive, probably around 2:00 pm. Have to be home before that as we are having new patio furniture, from The Bay, delivered, between 8:00 am-1:00 pm, as well as two bookcases and a large dresser, from Rooms To Go, for all of Lady Mary's extensive wardrobe! Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, now abed after an exhausting day-trip to Kelowna. Very sorry we missed you but you must visit Il Palazzo di Paradiso in the not too, too distant future! Fondestos and Cheers,  Patrizzio!

Hi Mr Grizzle! Hard to believe that I received your message a little less than a week ago Very sorry we missed you at our Farewell Bash but you must visit. Cheers,  Patrizzio!

Hi Pat Thanks for your belated email! we will try and leave early Friday morning and have breakfast in Home restaurant in hope, then make another stop in Keremeos, so should arrive no later than 2pm. Will Orofino winery be open ? it looks like a lovely place and I have never tasted any wineries in that area.
Looking forward to seeing you both. Mick

Hi Vancouverites! Yes, Orofino is open on Friday. Worth a stop for sure. If you do taste there, remind them that you will be staying with couple whose friend collapsed on their driveway last Sunday! Lynne is coming in to Penticton today, (Friday), to have the staple, used to close the cut in her scalp as result of fall, removed. She seems fully recovered. Tell Aaron or Allison that we will return the towel, (now laundered), they kindly supplied during the "emergency" first aid so speedily rendered by Virginia and Allison.

You might wish to visit Corcellettes, (formerly Herder), Robin Ridge and Clos du Soleil as well. Have not been to Corcellettes or Robin Ridge but have heard good things about both. Loads of places hereabouts, as you know so don't worry if you don't do the rounds in the Similkameen.
Until this afternoon! Cheers,  Patrizzio!

Hello Cornwall! Trust you are both well. We received your wonderful card a few days ago now. Thank you both, so much for thinking of us! You must visit! Extend trip to Rockies!!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Sara Jane! Trust you are well. Sorry I've not been in touch sooner, (I apologize but I haven't had time to even read about your ride. How did it go?), but, as you can well imagine, it has been rather hectic since we left on May 29th. Thank you both for coming to Farewell Bash. I've saved the swizzle sticks on envelope and will use them when you visit! Thanks so much for thinking of giving us a gift we really need!!! Another great ride to OK Falls this evening but you, Chicken Woman, know all about it already! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

glad you arrived safely; matt

Hi Chloe, could you come up on July 3 to help run the yard sale? We leave for Manitoba on the 14th and will be back on July 1st. I'm been putting things aside for it. How are you doing? tests yet/Love Mom

 

No comments:

Post a Comment