Wednesday 8 July 2015

Clan Sutherland Freeloader Invasion Blues: Wednesday, July 8th!

Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings. -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, psychiatrist and author (8 Jul 1926-2004)


Up fairly early, at 6:30 am, and once I was armed with my morning's Instantino, I attacked my email for an hour or so. Then, once Mme Coriandre was up and about, it was back to un-packing/re-arranging cupboards, hanging a few more pictures, etc., in part, to ready house for Invasion of The Sutherland Freeloaders, scheduled to happen at about 6:00 pm. Beavered away until about 11:30 am and then enjoyed my brunch, a delish sandwich made with overlefts of lamb, with zapped zucchini on the side. While munching away, I filled my camel pack bladder and my water-bottle and then lubed myself for ride ahead.
 
Given the remaining time for training rides before Sunday's GF, I decided I'd do the Upper Bench/McLean Creek climbs before making for Oliver and then tackle the Fairview Mountain ascent, yesterday. Not quite as hot when I left, about 12:15 pm, so felt fairly optimistic about ride ahead. Had the wind at my back once I was headed south so appreciated that. Knew head wind would not be a factor until I rode into the two small valleys after the climb up Fairview Mountain and then again in the open stretch before one reaches the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory on White Lake Road.

Even so, still managed to maintain a 21 kph AVG here so fairly pleased about that. Once I was back on 97, most of return leg to Penticton is downhill with only a few minor uphill grades so I sailed along home. Had to do a bit of dipsy-doodling once back inside city limits to give me the distance I had decided upon, at the outset, but that didn't entail much extra riding so I pulled into the Burns Street Stopping Place at 5:00 pm, almost on the dot. Guess the next time I do much of this route will be on event day itself. Onward! Fight!!! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/827600933#.VZ63Ra_J-bg.email

Once I'd changed out of my riding gear I set about cutting up all the cardboard boxes Lady Mary had emptied while I was away cycling. Finished this and a few other outdoor chores just before 6:00 pm and was literally jumping into the shower when Freeloaders pulled up in front of house. Showered and changed, I greeted one and all and we toasted each other with glasses of a 2013 8th Generation Pinot Gris, 13.9%, that they'd picked up, in Summerland, en route to our place. We quickly moved to the patio. Visited for an hour or so and then I went inside to throw a Greek salad together. Cora Lee had already made a wonderful kartofellsalat, to go with kebabs she was to bbq. Took out some crackers and cheese to hold the hungry hordes at bay, until dinner was served, and opened another bottle of white wine, 2014 Black Widow Pinot Gris, 13.3%, as red didn't seem as appealing, given heat.

Vegetable was fresh green beans, done in the frying pan, served with the remarkable pesto sauce, (Made from Peter's fabulous fresh basil.), Lynne had given us this past Sunday when they came for dinner. Freeloaders had brought along a bottle of 8th Generation 2014 Red One, 13.2%, a Merlot/Syrah blend meant to chilled. Must say it was more than delicious as well as extremely refreshing. Dinner was wonderful and after we had eaten our fill and caught up on everyone's busy lives, visitors wanted to take a stroll to help digest their supper. 

They decided to walk down to the lake and I set about clearing up the kitchen, loading the dishwasher and putting what few overlefts remained, in the fridge. By the time I was finished scullionating, I took a large glass of cool water and sat outside on the front porch to cool off. Gang were back a few minutes later and then we returned to sit under the gazebo to enjoy ice-cream and fresh raspberries. Vancouverites were pretty sleepy after day's drive, wine-tasting, dinner and stroll so around 10:00 pm they decided to hit the hay and read for a bit, each on their chosen beds, before turning out the lights. Fine with us as it had been a busy day. Tidied up dessert dishes and, after brushing/flossing, I too, hit my pillow to read for half an hour before my eyelids started to droop. Air had started to cool off a tad, by 11:30 pm so I was quite comfortable when I turned off the bed-side lamp, dreaming of Fairview Mountain as I drifted off!

No comments:

Post a Comment