Saturday 18 July 2015

Perch Creek Blues: Saturday, July 18th!

Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time rich and cash poor. -Cory Doctorow, author and journalist (b. 17 Jul 1971) 


Waked over 19,000 steps yesterday and slept like the dead. Room small like Tokyo. Think it is off shore Chinese money. Very trending area with hip eating places. Off to book tickets for a play and have booked a Greenwich village jazz tour for Monday nite. Love you all, CoraLee/ mom 

Hello Off-shore Chinese Lady! Glad to hear that you are doing well, extremely well, it seems! Must admit I haven't had time to read much email, of late, so I apologize for not being quite "in the know"! Nevertheless, I'll try to give a recap of events so that Nana, in particulare, can read about her Lover Man, while whiling away her time on the Staten Island Ferry or such!

To begin at the beginning, met Robo Man on Point Grey Road, near MacDonald, at 9:00 am, on Friday morn, [Slept like a log, {Not The Dead!}, until the construction of the new school, across the street, woke me up at just after 8:00 am. Hopped out of bed to find Elaine and Ted in the kitchen. Elaine was baking fresh soda biscuits and Ted made me a wonderful java. After two biscuits with home-made raspberry jam I took my riding gear and, thanking them, suited up.] and we headed out to UBC, via Spanish Banks, making, eventually for Iona, via Marine. Was really a delight to have a chance to catch up on each others lives as we'd not seen one another since late May. Talking as we did, distance seemed to evaporate and before we knew it we were past the new Designer Mall, recently opened, I gather, off Grauer Road, very popular indeed if the busy, attractively designed children's playground and almost full parking lot are any indication of interest and spending. Bit of a fight against the strong headwind but enjoyed having it push us along on return leg.

Climb up Heather seemed almost easy compared to some of the grades I'm used to in and around Penticton so quite enjoyed every aspect of the ride. Left Raymondo at his place, near Arbutus and 25th, and then made my way back to Point Grey Road as I was headed to Terminal Avenue where I was to collect my car. Bit of dipsy-doodling before pulling into Coastal Ford to give me a decent distance. Must say I did enjoy the slightly cooler weather than what I might have had to contend with in the Okanagan and, moreover, it was great good fun to be riding with a close friend. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/836429261#.VanZFTjEdzY.email

Collected Titanium Green and the drove back to Bayswater where I had a quick shower and then threw together a picnic lunch for the evening. Was on the grounds in time to see Hard Luck Stories at Stage 3 with Richard Thompson, Mary Gauthier, Linda Ortega and Marlon Williams. Wonderful, wonderful performances and my listening schedule for the coming days ahead was staring to gel. After this session was over I visited the CD tent and then it was time to head back to Stage 3 to catch Matuto and then Pokey Lafarge. I'd first seen the latter two years ago and knew this group was a winner. Even better, by a million light years, this time around, so after I collected my bike from the safe lock-up I rode home, high as a kite, on the performances I'd been able to attend.

Once back at Bayswater, I had a quick shower and then made my lunch, (carrots and cheese and more of Elaine's fantabulous soda biscuits), for the morrow. By 11:30 pm everyone was abed so I read a few chapters of Last Supper and then turned out the light. Up at around the same time, 8'ish or so, but this time it was the cry of a baby that woke me. A Danish couple were staying in their rental suite and one of the twins obviously didn't like the Lower Kits accommodation! I had another delish java and some ancient grains granola and then was ready to head out. Packed my back-pack and then collected my folding chair, (More comfortable than Cora Lee's, at least for me, as it's higher, and I can sit where I don't obstruct anyone's view of stage in question.), and set out to walk to Folk Fest. Just outside the garden gate Ted introduced me to their boarder, a Danish journalist from Copenhagen. We chatted for a bit and I said I was not all that happy with his child! He slipped me $100 and I said I wouldn't pursue the matter!

Twenty minutes later I was on site and then started a pretty busy day. Don't have the time to relate my thoughts and feelings about the acts I saw and heard but suffice it to say the day was more than marvellous. I cannot believe how fortunate I was to be able to listen to the following: Stage 1, 10:00-11:00, We Come from the Lands Down Under, Marlon Williams, Ash Grunwald, Perch Creek. PC's rendition of Goodnight Irene was too, too much! Just dropped in to hear one of Hawksley Workman's numbers at Stage 3 and then made for Stage 4 to see Pokey LaFarge, Parsonsfield and The Jerry Cans, probably the session of the day. Stayed put, in the shade of the Disabled Tent, to listen to Frazey Ford and Mama Kin, two of the most powerful female voices at eh fest.

Then back to Stage 2 to listen to the melodious Barber siblings as they sang from their new CD, quite a soft, tender change from much of the fare I'd heard to date, but a pure delight, nonetheless. Then back to the CD tent to collect some more albums and as I was picking out Pokey the chap next to me asked if I had any recommendations. It was Paul Whitney! We had a good jaw about what we'd heard and then I went to the FF Info booth to find out about Son Little. He had not been at an earlier session and I wondered if I should recalibrate my listening plans. Assured that he was going to appear as listed, I returned to CD tent to have Frazey Ford sign my program. I'd bought her latest CD the day before and had not brought it along. She was happy to sign on the dotted line so now all her royalties will come to my bank account!

Back to Stage 3 to listen to The Once, (from Newfoundland and simply, simply delirious!), Breabach and Ross Ainslie & Jarlath Henderson, Celtic musicians par excellence. After this amazingly rousing show I pottered around the site until 6:00 pm when I returned to Stage 3 to hear The Strumbellas. Talk about high energy and talent to boot. Tad disappointed with Son Little so a bit more wandering until The Sadies were ready. Pretty full-on rock-and-roll so I listened to a three numbers but knew the group was too, too loud for me.

Pleasant walk home to take a quick shower and then pack tomorrow's lunch. Was just starting this message when Elaine and ted returned from dinner. Couple of glasses of wine, Babio, 2011, with them, and then they repaired to watch Woman in Gold while I continued to pen.

Time for me to hit the hay. Last Supper calls and I'm sleepy to boot. Continue to enjoy The Big Apple Birthday Goil. Fondestos and Love to all The Sisterhood. Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Pics: Frazey Ford on Friday, Main Stage; Danish boarder; Perch Creek; Paolo; FF signing; The Once!

No comments:

Post a Comment