Sunday 23 August 2015

Blood Orange Blues: Sunday, August 23rd!

Language furnishes the best proof that a law accepted by a community is a thing that is tolerated and not a rule to which all freely consent. -Ferdinand de Saussure, linguist (1857-1913) 


Flamin' and Sarge have a wonderful, two-bedroom suite, on the 3rd Floor of the Lavender Building with a stunning view of the lake and surrounding hills. Unfortunately, the smoke from wildfires in both BC and Washington State is cloaking the Southern Okanagan. The sun is a but a blood red globe in the sky and we cannot see the hills here. Clan Sutherland cannot see the next building!

Hi Prince Valiant We live on Burns Street. With much the same smoke here that is cloaking Osoyoos I probably won't be out cycling today so whenever you arrive we'll be home. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 

great news, patrick. off next week to drive across canada with alexa. can you give me info of dusty and clara just in case we are close; keep hiking; matt

Hi Glasgow! Great road trip ahead! I guess you won't be stopping by Penticton but you are more than welcome to do so if you have the time. We'd love to see Alexa. Clara and Dusty live at Falcon Lake, about 145 km east of Winnipeg, right off the highway. Once you leave #1 you will come to a three-way stop. Proceed through that intersection, bearing right. Continue on this road, South Shore Road, past the golf course, on your right, and then turn right onto Fairway Crescent, past Par Bay, and then right onto Ace Bay. Their place is an A-frame, the second place, off Fairway Crescent, on the left of the small roundabout. Corinne's brother, George,lives in the first house. There is a deck at the front of the A-frame and a fence, to keep out the deer, around Dusty's flower garden. We will probably be talking to them this evening so if you have an idea when you might be stopping by we'd let them know. You are more than welcome to stay and I'll tell Clara to have ham for dinner! Not sure how much driving you plan to do each day but Falcon is about 7-8 hours from Regina, depending on traffic, in and around Regina/Winnipeg, of course.

With much the same smoke here that is cloaking Osoyoos I probably won't be out cycling today. Need to spend a fair bit of time doing chores around the house and 'attacking" my growing backlog of messages. However, not at all unhappy to take a bit of a break from physical activity as I do plan to join tomorrow's hike if group plans to go out, given heavy smoke. Let us know what your plans might be for cross-Canada trek and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to Catherine and Alexa. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Elaine! This is the message, from Kathryn, [kfowler@writersfest.bc.ca], I mentioned in our brief chat. Anything you can do would be much appreciated but please don't worry if nothing pans out. Thanks, I'm sure from Kathryn. Have a wonderful time in NY. Cora Lee is very, very jealous even though she just returned. Fondestos from Green with Envy Mme Coriandre to Theodorakis, Laura and James. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again Elaine! I forgot to include the dates that Penny and Mike will be in Vancouver. We plan to drive them down, probably on Monday, September 21st. They fly to Toronto on September 24th. Whether we stay in Vancouver for those three nights has yet to be decided as I'm still finding out their itinerary! Anyway, I'll confirm as soon as I have exact dates pinned down. I expect it will be the nights of the 21st/22nd/23rd for the four of us. Thanks again for allowing us to stay. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patrick I am copying this message to Laura so that you have her email address. Sorry we'll miss Penny. Cheers Elaine Hi again, Laura and Elaine! Thanks! Travel safely. Will be in touch. Bon Voyage. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Janet! Trust you are well, wherever you happen to be! Anything you can do, with respect to your friend in the Bronx, per esempio, would be much appreciated. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Dearest Mother Hen Kathryn! Delighted to know that you are looking out for your own baby chick as well as volunteer ones. In fact we do know a number of people in and around NYC but I have no idea what their circumstances are with respect to having a room for a struggling student. Close friends, Elaine and Ted Keating have a daughter, Kristina, living on Long Island with her husband, young son and nanny. Kristina teaches at Rutgers. While it is unlikely that they have room, they may well know people in NY who might. Another close friend, Janet Tomkins, Head of Dunbar Library, has a good friend who lives and teaches in the Bronx. He may well have room. We met Bruce this past Easter when he was visiting with his eldest son. He is originally from Vancouver. I have sent Elaine and Janet your message and email address and have asked them to contact you. Funnily enough, E/T are off to NY tomorrow to grandparent-sit for a week as I talked to Elaine before sending message. Not even sure if Janet is in town as no answer when I called.

With respect to continuing to volunteer at future VWF's it is hard, at this point in time, to say for sure. I know we'd like to do so but it is probably a prudent idea to have Shadow Volunteers in any event.nFondestos from Mme Coriandre to you and rest of VWF gang. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Penny Doorbar Hi patrizio I'm just planning our trip and expect to get to penticton on thurs 17th sept. It will take c 6hrs from baker creek so we'll arrive c7pm. Is that ok? Also we've booked a hotel in van on 20th so hope that 2 days will be enough for the wine trip? Do let me know and is it ok to stay at yours from 17th to 20th? Love to all P and M xx

Hello Mill Hill! Hard to believe that your trip is less than a month away! I gather from the latest note that you are planning to keep your car until you reach Vancouver. That is fine but originally I thought that we were to meet in Kamloops, (I assume you will be driving from Baker Creek Mountain Resort, not far from Banff.), on the 17th or 18th where you'd return rental. Then we'd drive to Penticton to stay here until Monday morning, the 21st, when we'd drive you to Vancouver. 

Funnily enough, I spoke to Elaine Keating this morning to confirm that we can all stay at their place until you fly to Toronto on Thursday, the 24th. Unfortunately, Elaine and Ted will not even be at home as they are off to Bhutan! Still, we are more than welcome. (Their youngest, very pregnant Laura, and her husband, James, live upstairs and so no difficulty about access, etc.) Elaine is delighted to be able to offer to put you and Mike, in particular, up as a small thank-you for allowing them to stay back in 2005. 

At any rate, let me know how you would like to proceed in terms of car return and stay in Vancouver. It is your trip so please do whatever makes you both comfortable but knowing that we are happy to act as chauffeurs, hoteliers, etc. With respect to Penticton, there are scads and scads of wineries, many within a stone's throw of our place so don't worry about wine-tasting, or beer-tasting, for that matter, as a number of excellent craft breweries here as well. Even a number of craft distilleries where you can replace the very expensive Laphroig!

Only if interested, the following is a recap of last few extremely busy days, of late, with more hiking, biking and visitors. I include this as it gives you some idea of our new surroundings. Let me know if there is anything more you or I need to know about the latest travel arrangements as outlined in your FB message. Once we know how you wish to proceed we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you and Madcap. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hello Marilyn and Big Al! Very sorry to hear about your sprained ankle, Marilyn. What a drag indeed! However, I gather that this accident was probably a direct result of leaving Big Molly all by his lonesome self. At ant rate, sounds as if being a peg-leg didn't slow you down a bit, given your culinary whirlwind. Wonderful beyond imagining. At least you'll be too, too spoiled now to bother with the pedestrian fare at Expedia Inc., Airbnb Inc., Freeloader Destination: B&B&B, Bed&Breakfast&Beans! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Ragin'! Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. Never a dull moment here in smokey Penticton! More than happy to accept your offer to come and carpenter after Labour Day. However, I don't know why you are fretting about a malingering gopher as Cora Lee understands that she will be at your every beck and call while I'm cycling/hiking!

With respect to shelving, my expectations would be for a start on the complex that will eventually/probably encompass every wall but the garage door. (I have attached snaps of interior of garage.) I agree, wholeheartedly, with your suggestion about a work table. I assume it would be the first order of business. After that, I want to build a wine storage unit, under the window to the guest bedroom. It will be a fairly simple structure with capacity for about 20-25 cases of wine. Boxes, only, to sit on shelves with access by two doors opening into garage. Doors and walls to be lined with 2", (?), Styrofoam sheeting. Concrete floor, within unit, left exposed for cooling effect. Shelving to be integrated on either side of wine storage, but allowing for a bench, against the wall, adjacent to door leading into Rumpus Room. The position of bench is negotiable, depending on other suggestions for possible configurations within garage.

Looking at the garage door from the back wall of the house, there is a freezer immediately to the right. Since this is next to one of the few electrical outlets it seems best to let it stay here, building more storage units around and above. I also want to leave space, on this same wall, for another, regular fridge as we need one, particularly in summer, for fruit and vegetable storage, not to mention wine and beer!

On the opposite wall, I'd like to construct more shelving, below window, and above. Again, all this can be staged, over time. Cora Lee would like to have doors on the shelving, for purely aesthetic reasons, but initially this is not a priority as long as possibility of adding them later is figured into process. I'd like to put galvanized sheeting on wine storage unit, and perhaps other shelving doors, to hold my fridge magnet collection as I'm barely able to function without them, finding myself in debilitating fridge magnet withdrawal!  The malt cabinet is suffering as a direct result and I've found myself not even caring about The Dreaded Burning Ground, too, too often!

With respect to tools, I have a skill saw and two power drills. Will probably pick up a cordless one over the next little while. Jugos Dom Pedro, in Naramata, has a table saw which I'm sure we could use but we'd have to mule lumber there and back You would know better if this would be worth it, as far as cuts go. I assume, skill saw might be fine, given that plywood and 2×4's will compromise most of the materials.

When in Winnipeg, this past June, I asked my cousin's daughter, Kimbo, (She just finished her first year of Engineering.), to come up with a design for wine storage unit so I will send it along when she sends it to me. Dimensions of garage: Width, from door to door: 11.5'. Length: from garage door to side wall doors: 7'. Height: floor to ceiling: 10'. Within this complex of shelving, in addition to wine storage unit, freezer/fridge enclosures, there will need to be specific shelving dedicated to such things as bbq implement storage; riding shoes, bike helmets, and the like. I would also like some storage for hanging riding gear, outside jackets, etc, and perhaps some firewood storage, although latter is not a priority. On the north side of the house there is a long walkway which is somewhat protected by roof overhang and I hope to build a number of bike lockers here as I prefer to store at least three of them in this fashion instead of inside garage where there will be a special place of honour for my Trek! Plan to build some raised garden beds on south side as it is a real heat sink. Could also store firewood here, of course.

So, that is a first cut of what I have in mind. As I mentioned earlier, I don't expect all of the above, right away, but wanted you to know overall, long-term plan so that an integrated approach could be put in place. Again, any suggestions welcome and much appreciated. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you Ragin'. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics:
Garage
 
I am so glad I got to see you in your new home and to share your new news. Thank you for making time for me and giving me food and lodging. I hope the smoke is not proving too much to handle. Love to you both and your amazing daughters. Hi Jim, it was great to see you as well. New minister at Trinity finally came to me. Her name is Rhian Walker. I think she is going to be a new voice in the UC. Hope your Victoria visit is great. Love Corinne

Hi Zircon! Wonderful to see you, other than the fact that you trounced us at bridge! You rotter!!! Must have been the excellent South African Merlot you brought which dulled our bidding sense. Nevertheless, hope we'll see much, much more of you, and Jan, in the not too, too distant future. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Jane, can believe how the time is flying by. We had 2 visitors this week. Also great time with Chloe and Ayn. They left Wednesday and then Thursday night we had husband, Mark, of Chloe's friend Krissy here and last night friend, Jim, from Medicine Hat on his way to Victoria to take his old car to his son.
 
While Chloe and Ayn were here we got a 2013 Chevy Equinox and gave Chloe the Ford Escape. We had just put new tires on it so should be safe for both highway and city driving. Unfortunately Ayn got a cold while here so not at her best and then after they left both chloe and I had a flu/cold bug. But we did have a beach day and some good meals out.
 
We also had 4 other people for some of their visit so very hectic cooking etc.
Really glad that you 2 were able to visit, I look forward to seeing your place as well. Off to water, smoke here is really bad too much to walk or bike. Sun a red ball in the sky. Can't see the hills around us at all. Love to you both, Corinne


Hello Salish Sea People! Trust you are both well. Seems to have been extremely busy ever since you two drove off. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Gran Duggacio! Sounds as if you will need a break by the time you hit Penticton! Grand that you and David will visit. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Zircon with Lady Mary!

Hi Pam! I am wondering if Monday's hike to Conkle is still on, given the smoke which is cloaking us. Would appreciate knowing, one way or another. Thanks very much. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: A few snaps from Thursday's marathon! Yes it is, but I'm not going.... Kilean is leading. Pam

Hello Patrick:Pam sent me a mail that she might not be hiking tomorrow. However, I intend to go, even if I go alone. 9 am at IGA in Summerland. Al
Hi Al! Thanks for letting me know. I plan to join you. See you at IGA at 9:00 am. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

There is a serious air quality advisory out in the news, so if it is like today, it may not be a good idea. I was outside quite a bit today and almost choking at one point. Cheers, Aart

Hi Aarturol! In spite of the ongoing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" I plan to join Al at the IGA in Summerland at 9:00 am. Here are a few more snaps from Sheep Rock. In future, I hope to post a link. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment