Saturday 22 August 2015

Richter Pass Blues: Saturday, August 22nd!

Ordering a man to write a poem is like commanding a pregnant woman to give birth to a red-headed child. -Carl Sandburg, poet and biographer (1878-1967) 

Spirit Ridge Pool at 2:30 am!
Hi Kevin! We met at VGH Emergency when you were filming that series. I'm in Osoyoos, Spirit Ridge, at the moment and will shortly "attack" the Richter Pass, en route to Keremeos and then Penticton from there. How about a feature film on an aging, quixotic road biker who insists on wearing unfashionable cycling garb that embarrass the fashionistas in his life! Must away as I have to fuel up for coming ride with blueberry pancakes. Cheers!
Wayne Sutherland at Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort & Spa Enjoying our new condo with Michele Darrow-Sutherland Megan Sutherland Ryan Sutherland and Avery. Smoke has moved in from one of the many fires burning in the area. The sun is just a red dot in the sky and it is only six o'clock.
Thanked Clan Sutherland for the more than marvellous overnight stay and after embracing one and all, took off from Nk'Mip at just after 10:00 am. Lovely sunny day, almost cloudless sky, after yesterday's drizzle/rain, although much needed, it goes without saying! Since I had never ridden from Osoyoos to Keremeos I approached Richter Pass with a bit of trepidation. However, having driven it both ways I had a reasonably good idea of what awaited me. As it turned out, while the three climbs one must traverse are very, very extended, the grades themselves are not overly punishing so I simply put my head down and kept plugging away. After the first long hill climb I seemed to achieve a rhythm of sorts as my leg and thigh muscles warmed up. From there on, I felt pretty comfortable so quite pleased with how my body had responded to punishing hike on Thursday and Friday's ride from Penticton to Osoyoos.
Just before the last climb out of the South Okanagan I came into the wildfire zone of a week or so ago. I first noticed a number of plumes of smoke in the hills to my left, with a smoky haze covering many of the surrounding mountains. As I continued the smell of charred wood permeated the air and I could see precisely where the fire had wreaked its havoc. From my perspective the damage, in this area, seemed to be mostly completely burned grassland as many of the small islands of conifers, dotting the hillsides on both sides of the highway, seemed either completely untouched or else only singed. (At this point the more densely forested areas were at much higher elevations.) It was almost like looking at a black and white photograph, the burned areas outlined, precisely demarcated  by a felt-tipped marker. A number of homes had, quite obviously, been encircled by fire but the structures themselves were undamaged, at least to my eye. Quite an experience, for me, after hearing about so many of these wildfires, to see the aftermath firsthand.

Left this charred landscape behind on the last hill climb and once I began the exhilarating descent into the Similkameen no trace, whatsoever, of the firestorms that had raged so closely. From this point, until about 15 km out of Keremeos, the ride was a literal roller-coaster, up a long grade, (not nearly as long or steep as Richter), then a swoop down. And swoop I mean as I reached 60+ km on at least one descent. Absolutely stunning scenery with the magnificent rock-faces, the meandering river bordered by emerald green pastures, orchards or vineyards. Once past Seven Stones Winery the roller-coaster started to flatten out and when I took Barcello Road it was like riding through an oasis, heavily laden espaliered apple trees on both sides of the road. What a sight with the majestic hills and cliffs as backdrops. Past Orofino, Clos du Soleil, Corcellettes Estate Winery and then the Grist Mill and Gardens and then I was back on 97 N. Had taken almost three hours to reach this point but my AVG was around 19 kph so I wasn't too, too unhappy, given the terrian I'd traversed.

However, I knew, or thought I knew, what lay ahead, on the climb out of Keremeos. Pleasantly surprised, it goes without saying, that in fact it was far less difficult than I had imagined from having driven the route quite a few times. Somewhat similar to Green Mountain Road, inasmuch, as the grade goes up in a series of long steps so no really, overly punishing steep slopes. Again, I was delighted to be able to take in the surrounding landscape. Given my relative snail's pace, I could examine, in greater detail than when driving, the tiny community of Olalla and the other clusters of dwellings I passed. Relished the flat road along Yellow Lake and before I knew it I was descending, deliriously into Marron Valley and soon at the intersection of 3A and Okanagan Highway, (97).

This was almost home turf as I've ridden this stretch quite a few times before and since my legs were still feeling quite strong I pushed myself to try to bring up my AVG. I had 19.2 kph on the clock when I reached 97 so I felt I could achieve 20 kph, given the downhill stretches left before Penticton. Must say that the first view of Skaha, stretching so blue below, inspired me to push myself a bit harder and when I was past the Penticton Airport runway I had logged 19.9 kph. Bit of dipsy-doodling around Skaha Lake Park and when I was on South Main I looked down at the odometre to see I reached my goal. Made all the lights on Government so that helped push the AVG a bit higher. Truly delighted with my time and overall performance. What a wonderful, wonderful ride and just the beginning, I trust, of more to come in this extraordinarily breath-taking landscape. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/874199649#.Vdj-Vznwp6A.email

Wayne Sutherland Good job. Hello Clan Sutherland! Thanks again for the more than marvellous overnight stay and congratulations on your condo in Paradise! Home to find Cora Lee watching The Young and The Useless but Rooms to Go had called and our bed was delivered shortly after I arrived. Took the lads a few hours to assemble it but it looks great. Just made it and now it's time for a quick shower. Zircon phoned from Kelowna so he should be here around 6:30 pm. We are having steaks and brochettes, so there! Thanks again. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Spirit Ridgers!

Send a pic of the new bed and hope you both sleep like babies xoxo! Hi Tinsel Town! Zircon and Nana are bonding on the back patio while I slave way in the kitchen. Had a note from Sarge and the sun was a red dot this afternoon, after I left. Same is true here, but a few hours later. We have all the windows closed and will eat inside as the smoke is very oppressive. Cannot even begin to imagine what it is like closer to where the wildfires are raging. Another reality that one hardly even begins to think about until you are faced with it. Not sure if we'll sleep like Jaxon as I hope we'll play three-handed bridge all night! Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Snaps: Iced-tea, shortly after arrival, new bed and real hootch on patio! 

Hi Pat, So pleased you like the name I came up with for your fine establishment! Thanks again for a magnificent weekend...it was a pleasure to see your amazing new home and to get the chance to see Chloe and Ayn was an added bonus!

I had a wonderful time in Tofino despite an unfortunate ankle sprain the first morning we were there but I still managed to hobble my way around to some of the top beaches and restaurants in the area...notably TacoFino...the BEST tuna taco I have ever tasted, a delicious meal out at the Schooner where Jeremy works and I enjoyed a generous portion of halibut stuffed with crab and shrimp drizzled with a apple reduction...exquisite!

Our last night we dined at " Wolf in the Fog : which is quickly becoming renowned for its excellent seafood and game...we had platters of fish, shrimp, mussels, scallops, and prawns that were to die for...unfortunately I have gained 10 lbs in 5 days due to the lack of exercise that I am able to partake in and all the wonderful food and drink!

Hope you are both well...love the pictures! I will send a few along for you too! Looking forward to our next visit to freeloaders paradise! Lotsa Love, Marilyn


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment