Sunday 2 August 2015

Alpine Rose Bed & Breakfast Blues: Sunday, August 2nd!

The truth must dazzle gradually / Or every man be blind. -Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) 



Hi Glasgow! Yes, The Jaguar’s Children was written at The Burns Street Watering Hole. John needed a quiet place, while Lady Mary was away in NY, so I agreed to let him stay as long as it didn't interfere with my cycling!  She was so impressed with The Writer-in-Residence Program that even after John de-camped, she allowed me to ride whenever I wished!


Up this morning to close all the windows. We find if we do this, not having any air-conditioning, it really helps to keep the house reasonably cool for the rest of the day. Once Cora Lee was up we put up the curtain rod in the guest bedroom and curtains look just fine so Lady Mary is very pleased. She just just left to scope out neighbourhood United Church and may take a run to Kelowna afterwards as she needs to fill a number of prescriptions. She thinks highway traffic won't be as heavy it might be tomorrow. Plus the fact that we have two sets of visitors arriving on Monday, so we should be here to welcome them. For my part, I plan to head out shortly, while it is still reasonably cool. Will make for OK Falls this time. Need to be back in plenty of time as former high-school classmate, Erika Kinn, who owns a B&B in Summerland, will be coming for dinner. Have invited the Lighthalls but not sure if they will join us as no reply as of this writing.
 

I'm driving into Vancouver this coming Wednesday as I am collecting our Danish visitors next day, at YVR. They are seeing Ayn and Los Horridos in LA this weekend. Ayn is hosting a picnic at the beach today. I have arranged to take my car in to Coastal Ford to have a new set of tires put on while there. I will bring my bike along so if you are interested in a ride, reasonably early on Thursday morning, let me know. Will probably stay with Flamin' and Sarge overnight so we could meet at the bottom of your street if you are interested and perhaps head out to Iona. Anyway, let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Best wishes to Catherine and yourself from Cora Lee. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Jenny, one of the vendors who is, coincidentally, a neighbour of Virginia's/Jake's. She does simply gorgeous pine needle baskets, (https://www.etsy.com/ca/people/jwpaquet?ref=pr_profile), and we bought one, a month or so ago, for Lynne and Peter, to thank them for all the help they had provided with move, storing boxes, etc. Loot! Note supine Lady Mary in background!


Hi Nora and Laury! Trust you are both well. With respect to the GranFondo, event itself went extremely well. Sorry I've not been in touch sooner as I certainly wanted to thank you both for your generous support. Best wishes to you and Nora, Laury, from Cora Lee. Thanks again for your thoughtful support. Cheers, Pedal Pusher Patrizzio!

Hi Agneta! Trust you are well. I gather you are thinking of paying us a visit. Will be more than delighted to see you here. With respect to the GranFondo thanks, so much for helping with a good cause. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Polar Bear Woman! Trust you are well and that water of Courteny is warmer then in the Norwegian fjords! I gather you paying Jane and Kjell a visit. You should come on up to Penticton with them! Looking forward to seeing them here on Monday, at some point. Would be more than delighted to see you here as well. With respect to the GranFondo, event itself went extremely well.Sorry I've not been in touch sooner as I certainly wanted to thank you for your generous support. Cheers, Patrizzio!
  
Hi Zoe! Trust you are well and enjoying heat in Vancouver! Must be like being back in Australia! With respect to the GranFondo, event itself went extremely well.  At any rate, thanks, again, for helping with a good cause. Best wishes to you and Matt from Cora Lee. Cheers, Pedal Pusher Patrizzio!

Hello Terracoids! Trust you are both well. Are you travelling, at the moment? Can't even begin to remember your jet-setting schedule! Thanks, again, for helping with a good cause. Best wishes to you, Donna Maria and Heraldo, from Cora Lee. Cheers, Chris Froome Patrizzio!

Hi Miss Marps! Trust you are well and enjoying heat in Vancouver! Must be like being back in Australia! On a sadder note, did you attend ceremony for Pat? Will probably stay overnight, this coming Wednesday, with Flamin' and Sarge. Unfortunately, I know I won't have time to pop by as I've an endless list of errands I need to squeeze in while in town. You need to visit us!!! Best wishes to you and Colin from Cora Lee. Thanks again for your thoughtful support, fellow cyclist. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patti! Trust everyone is well. Been pretty busy here ever since Lady Mary returned from The Big Apple. Best wishes to you, Gavin and The Goils, from Sister Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Paolo! Trust you are both well You need to visit us soon!! Best wishes to you and Joan from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Flamin'! Trust you everyone is well. How did weekend at Madroña Manor go?
Any room to stay overnight, this coming Wednesday, at The Freeloader Inn? If not, I'm sure I can scrounge up a ditch somewhere. At any rate, let me know and I'll plan accordingly Best wishes to you and gang rom Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Purple Sturgis Man! Trust you are well and trip is a blast. What is it like in Sturgis? Can hardly wait to quiz you on the scene. Best wishes to you, On-the-Road Boy, from Cora Lee. Thanks again for your thoughtful support, fellow cyclist. Cheers, Pedal Pusher Patrizzio!

Lady Mary was off to Kelowna around 1:00 pm, after praying for my black soul at the local United Church around the corner form us. She left with very strict instructions to be back in plenty of time to ready myself for the dinner guests we were expecting at 6:00 pm. Not wishing to incur her subsantial wrath, I suited up and headed out at 2:20 pm. Day was quite overcast and relatively cool when I started out. Wanted to do my regular OK Falls loop. I start out along Lakeshore/Riverside and then Upper Bench is next. Felt quite energetic as I zipped along Skaha and even McLean Creek Road didn't seem but an anthill, compared to climb to Lost Moose Lodge. Was soon making for Blue Mountain and, as always, the magnificent vista of Vaseux Lake and the rolling vineyards blanketing the benches took my breath away. Bit of a head wind to fight on way home but I was just able to maintain a reasonably decent AVG. Wished I's asked guests to arrive at 6:30 pm as then I'd have been able to push my distance past 70 km but realizing what I risked if I was late, I accepted the lesser distance and made for home, just in time to shower and change before Lynne and Peter arrived. As it was, Lady Mary, herself, was still in the shower when they arrived! Hee Hee! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/853788778#.Vb-lD6_T30k.email 


Had a lovely evening with The Naramatians and The Summerlandians last night. Peter brought us a virtual cornucopia of vegetables, (wonderful zucchini, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, cukes, Swiss chard), from his garden. He'd given us a clutch of garlic bulbs when we'd been at their place last Wednesday and Mme Coriandre bbq'd two large bulbs, wrapped in foil, and we had them with dinner: chicken thighs, sausages, fresh local corn-on-the-cob, and watermelon, Feta, fresh mint, ours, salad. Guests were suitably impressed with the 8th Generation ice mold wine cooler! I'd used petals from Cora Lee's very attractive Mandevilla vine as well as some trimmings from herb planter. Had sugar cones with mint ice-cream for dessert, as well as Lamb's Navy Rum, 151 proof, just to make everything blend in, after the wonderful wine, (2014 Sumac Ridge Pinot Grigio, 13%, from Erika; Peter's artisan Zwei Freunde 2014 Riesling, a delicous home-crafted drop if ever there was one; and the 2012 Township 7, Black Dog, 13.6%, the winery's Meritage offering, and very, very tasty it was, again compliments of the Lighthalls.), and help everyone sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment