Thursday 10 September 2015

Apex Strayhorse Trail Blues: Thursday, September 10th!

Our memories are card indexes consulted and then returned in disorder by authorities whom we do not control. -Cyril Connolly, critic and editor (10 Sep 1903-1974)  
Hi Patrick Too bad Penny isn't staying. Not sure if they knew they'd have the house to themselves. Ted & I will be in Bhutan/India leaving Monday till Oct 9th and Laura & James pretty well keep to themselves upstairs. They can still cancel the hotel.


You & Corinne are always welcome. Look forward to seeing you around Oct 16th. We can bore you with our pics & stories of our trip.



Talk about Hot Sheets Hotel, we have had a total of 27 guests staying in our house in just over 1 month. I am really looking forward to our trip - no cooking for an entire month. Yeah!
Elaine ✈️


Hi Penny! This latest from Elaine, in case you wish to change your plans! You decide, of course. On another matter, if you have time/space could you buy me a couple of bags of Rowntree's Fruit Gums, (not Pastilles). I've often found them at one of the shops at the airport. My favourites from Cyprus days! Don't worry if not possible but just thought I'd ask. Cheers, Patrizzio!
  
Hi Elaine! Thanks very much for continuing to extend a welcome to Penny/Mike but even though they might be "alone", I think Mike wants to be in a hotel. However, we'd rather be with you so thank you for the booking at The Hot Sheets Hotel! Thought we were busy but I guess you need Dusty to put in a revolving door! Will send along a message as soon as we tie down date we expect to be in Vancouver.

Have a wonderful time on this coming trip. I'm sure it will be more than an exciting adventure. I suppose you will have a better understanding of countryside, people, culture, etc., given your earlier trek. The way time flies, you'll be back and we'll be a week or two from leaving ourselves. So much to do before then that I despair even thinking about it! Not complaining but I thought we were all supposed to be retired and taking life easy!

Off to hike some of the ski trails at Apex this morning. Looking forward to seeing the ski resort itself as well as "scoping" out the road to it. Hope I might be able ride it at some point so driving it will give me a much better idea of grades waiting to exhaust me! Once again, thanks for having us. Bon Voyage to you both from a still slumbering Lady Mary. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Penny! This latest from Elaine, in case you wish to change your plans! You decide, of course. On another matter, if you have time/space could you buy me a couple of bags of Rowntree's Fruit Gums, (not Pastilles). I've often found them at one of the shops at the airport. My favourites from Cyprus days! Don't worry if not possible but just thought I'd ask. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Lady Mary very kindly put on my socks and tied the laces on my hiking shoes and I was off to Home Hardware to meet rest of hiking group. Eduardo was there first and we chatted for a few minutes until rest of Summerlanders arrived. I took Pam in my car and followed Teresa. I was keen to see what the grade to the top of the Apex Village was like and now know that it will be a very difficult, grueling, prolonged, almost unbroken ascent but possible, if I grit my teeth and gird my loins. At least three cattle grids to cross so not overly happy about this aspect of route but I suppose these are really the least of my worries if I attempt ride.

At any rate, once we'd parked the cars near the Ski Patrol lodge, Kilian gave us a brief tour of the facility. A very handsome addition, started in July, is under construction and as we walked through the site, Kilian pointed out what would go where. We also poked our noses into the two original A-frame structures which adjoin the new project. Al Tinka was involved with building these so quite a bit of history to this lodge/HQ.

Tour over, we started off on a service road and then shortly thereafter followed a series of switchbacks up a ski trail called Grandfather. Lovely walking through the trees beside this run on a well worn path so going was fairly easy for much of the climb even though the slope was very steep. Came out into a meadow, of sorts, and from there on we followed either a service road or went cross-country, depending on how our guides, Killian and Paolo, wanted to take us to the top of Beaconsfield, one of the peaks we were to climb. Going was fairly easy as the surface we walked over was quite comfortable, spongy with moss and other alpine cover. No difficulty moving through the trees as they were usually fairly small and well-spaced by the time we reached the higher parts of the ski slopes. 

Stopped for a quick snack near the building at the top of the ski-lift which actually looks like a flying saucer. Gorgeous 360º views, as you might well imagine. In particular, one has a stunning view of the former open pit Nickel Plate Mine. From our vantage point it looked a bit like some of the terraces at Machu Picchu. Now the surrounding area serves as a Nordic Centre with extensive cross-country ski trails. We could also see, below this machine-sculpted/excavated mountainside, a gorgeous lake of the same name. On a more worrisome note, we could also discern a number of faint plumes of smoke from the wildfire near Oliver. Believe it is now about 80% contained.

Pressing on we had to head downhill for a bit and then, back on the service road, we skirted Little Apex to climb to the top of Apex itself. Another set of microwave towers here, similar to ones atop Beaconsfield, and more stunning views. Had lunch just below the top as we were protected from the reasonably cool wind here. Seating was a delight as the ground was spongy soft here. Lost one of party, at this point, as Eduardo had to be home by 2:00 pm so he took off. Since there are so many logging/service roads, ski trails, towers, etc., it is not an overly difficult task for someone not really familiar with area to remain oriented. We waved goodbye and saw him, fifteen minutes or so later, on the rough track we followed on the ascent, so he seemed fine. (His car wasn't in the lot when we were back so assume he made it back safely!)

After we'd finished our sandwiches and fruit we put our backpacks on and started on the return. Again, when not on a road or track of some sort, the terrain was very open and mostly forgiving so we made extremely comfortable progress. A number of fairly steep slopes, particularly the last ski run to the service road which took us back to the car park, but again, enough give to the surface so that footing was not overly difficult. One always needs to be careful, of course, but I am finding that I am far more confident about such descents than when I first went out. I'll never be a mountain goat, like some of the other very experienced hikers in the group but I'm not the last one in line either. 

Had a very pleasant chat with Robertitio, on way up. I'd not hiked with him before and Killian had mentioned that he was a road biker as well. When I asked him about this he mentioned that he hadn't been biking in about six weeks. He had a nasty accident on Naramata Road then. Apparently a Rottweiler, walking with its owners, had been spooked by a passing motorcycle and dashed out in front of him. He slammed right into the dog and this caused him to fly, head-over-heels, onto pavement, doing all sorts of hurt to his body. He said both his ankles, (along with shoulders, wrists, the palms of his hands), were still very sore, the ankles especially so coming downhill. I certainly empathized with his situation and was quite impressed with his grin and bear it attitude.

Tad annoyed with myself as I didn't switch on my odometre until about 15 minutes after we started out and then didn't turn it off until I walked back into our house! Consequently, the stats for outing are outrageously skewed given that Garmin tracked the drive back from Apex! Nonetheless, this is what was recorded. One can still get a decent idea of where we hiked, altitude gained, etc. By my reckoning, hiking distance was roughly 10 km. Stats for hike:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/894543800#.VfIUCwC-IYo.email 

Hello Thursday Hikers! Thanks to St Kilian, Paolo, and Robertito for being such intrepid leaders on today's grand hike! Simply stunning views! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Goils! Here are a few snaps of the flowering plant I mentioned on today's hike! As well, the Thursday email list for Mother Teresa. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Thanks Patrick , got it this time.  It was going into my junk folder. These are beautiful flowers. Teresa Hi Teresa! Glad it all worked out. Enjoy the weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you so very much for wonderful pics. I would love to take some of these pics so you may be in more of them, if you'd like. Hugs, Olly Patrizzio, these are simply gorgeous! Thanks again for the pics. Hugs as usual, Olly

Hi Darling Olga Polga! Glad you enjoyed snaps of both hike and garden flowers. I'd be delighted to have you take some photos of me and others so I'll certainly remember to ask next time!  Fondestos from Mme. Coriandre, (She is looking forward to meeting many of the hiking group as I've told her what a simply fascinating group it is!), napping before political rally so she'll have plenty of strength to wave flags! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Oh Parrizzio, I so enjoyed your email and thank you so much for sharing the pic as well. Sounds like a wonderful visit. I can't believe your incredible energy; where do you get it from? See you Monday. Hugs, Olly 

Hi Patrick & Corinne - – just a reminder that our special vertical tasting of Vintage One will be this Saturday at 10AM. If your plans have changed, please let me know, otherwise see you Saturday. Cheers. Dick Lancaster Celebrating our 10th Vintage!
 
What is Grog having operated upon? Something serious? When do you depart for the Raj?

Dear Capt. Calabrese. Can't believe the number of visitors you two are subjected to. At least we live too far away to be a constant source of irritation to the Lord and Lady of the manor! Best of luck in Indja. We are a bit out of the loop with the Grog Meister. What kind of surgery is happening? No triple bypasses we hope.

Down here a week of heat in the 90's is finally dissipating. The lovely fog was slowly creeping out to sea, after I arose from slumber, being awakened by a minor earthquake. By the way, what is the plan for winter cycling? Take care, and maybe you guys should start charging a wee fee for all the services! NN
 
Patrick. It will be shipped today via Greyhound. Val Vacuflo MB.

No comments:

Post a Comment