Friday 25 September 2015

Self-Portait with Specialized/Lonesome Bachelor Blues: Friday, September 25th!

A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others. -William Faulkner, novelist (25 Sep 1897-1962) 


What is your phone number? Did you get my response? Aart

Buon Giorno, Aarturo! Yes, I did receive your response and both Cora Lee and I are more than delighted that you will be able to join us for the pizza-pick-up-party at Orofino on Saturday, Ottobre 3rd! Since it is from 12-3:00 pm we could leave our place around noon and be there around 12:45 pm, or thereabouts. Does that suit? Here is our home number.
 

I just waved goodbye to our friends, Lurch and Grogg, (aka Francesca and Gregg!), here last night, who are driving to Vancouver, (with Mme Coriandre who wanted to attend a number of events on in the city this weekend), en route to Parkesville, their home. Cora Lee will return on Tuesday, by bus, so I'm charged with a list of chores, 7 miles long, to be discharged before her return!

I take it you are still in Vancouver. Perhaps you will pass one another, should you take the Coquihalla. They will be the ones weaving all over the road, throwing empty wine bottles out of the windows of their speeding vehicle, RCMP in hot pursuit. Don't bail them out of jail!!!
 

Hope to see you on one of next week's hikes, but if not, send along a message or give us a shout to confirm rendezvous arrangements. Travel safely. Fond regards to your wonderful Jos. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Farewell to Island Folk, Francesca and Greg, this morning!

Had arranged to ride "somewhere" with newfound cycling mate, Phantom, (I am always chasing him as he disappears around corners and up steep hills!), Fantini, at some point today. When we chatted on the phone this morning it had started to rain lightly. Forecast indicated it might stop around noon so we decided to touch bases later and see what weather looked like. 
 
Close to 11:30 am the sky had lightened and I thought I'd give it a try. John was busy when I called so we agreed ride by ourselves. by the time I'd done a few more household chores and suited up it was close to 12:30 pm and just as I was about to put on my camel-pack, phone rang and it was The Phantom. He had finished his own set of "Sisterhood" assigned chores and was ready to roll. Since he lives at Skaha Bluffs, just past McLean Creek Road, we agreed to meet there in about 40 minutes +/-.

Wind was very strong but since it was out of the north-west, I zipped along. My AVG was 27.2 kph by the time I reached the turn-off to Blasted Church, best AVG for me, ever, on that stretch so I was pretty pleased, given all the wine we managed to consume the night before! John was suiting up when I rode into his driveway so I "circled" a number of times until he was ready. As we hadn't actually decided on a route I suggested climbing out of OK Falls towards See Ya Later, as a start, but John had other plans for me. 

 
[I think theses selfies could  be turned into a very Warhol-esque exhibit....cool shades instead of Campbell Soup cans! Dear Ms Tinsel Town: I have already had an offer form LACMA for an exhibition at Christmas. I will be flying down 1st Class, Lady Mary in Economy as she always denigrated my cycling garb! Please book security and limo services. Fondestos, Paparazzo Patrizzio who spits on, not into, soup cans! Take care of yourself and Winstonian. Chat soon, I trust. Fondestos from Lady Mary, in absentia, to you. Love and Cheers, Dad!]

He wanted to show me Seacrest Road, north of Oliver, so we rode south, out of OK Falls, along Oliver Ranch Road, joining 97 and then making our way towards Oliver. We left the highway at Tucelnuit Drive, curving around Oliver and entering the town close to its southern end. Back on 97 until the turn-off to Seacrest and then the hill work really began! Long, long grade, fairly steep right at the start but I plugged away and soon we were on the level as the road passes Covert Farms Family Estate, a winery I'd like to taste at sometime.

Rest of ride was, more or less, on the flat and we were somewhat protected from the devilish wind so a most enjoyable time. The landscape is quite typical of the small, open valleys that one finds, so often, in this region. Phantom took me towards Willowbrook and once we were close, on a loop through this tiny but exceedingly picturesque community. Many lovely homes and well tended horse paddocks, etc. Soon we were back on Green Lake Road and I knew where I was as I'd ridden this route a few weeks ago. 


[Dad love the new helmet and sunglasses combo!!!!❤️]

We were now fighting the wind again and to make matters worse we felt a few drops. Fortunately, rain held off as we made our way back through OK Falls and then up the south end of McLean Creek Road, under Peach Cliff. Thanked John for another fabulous ride and introducing me to "unknown" territory and then waved goodbye, making plans to keep in touch about riding together again, in the coming weeks.

Wind along Skaha was brutal beyond belief and I was now paying for the 27.2 kph AVG I'd registered at the outset. Still, I was determined not to let the maddening blasts and gusts spoil the day so put my head down and fought my way back to Skaha Lake Park. Adding to the mix, it started to rain, lightly, but steadily, shortly after The Phantom and I parted company.

 
I was glad I'd put my iPhone in a Ziploc bag inside my camel-pack pouch. Quite wet quite soon but not soaking so not too, too uncomfortable. Needed about 10 km worth of dipsy-doodling hereabouts to clock the distance I wanted by the time I was home so did a number of elongated loops before returning to South Main. Rain stopped while I was making myself dizzy but started again by the time I was back on Government so I was dripping by the time I pulled into the Burns Street Watering Hole! Still, I was more than truly chuffed to have had such a wonderful ride and to have learned about yet another marvellous cycling route to add to my store of possible circuits for future outings. Thanks Phantom Fantini!  Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/909750401#.VgXuCdkLT5w.email

Back home to have a mug of java to warm me up. Mike had finally dropped off the clear plastic cap for our shower door so I put it on pane next to toilet and it works well! Even attached the two hooks so I can reach my towel after shower. 

Peter, the handyman, had called around 8:00 pm that evening to say he had a great design for patio stairs. He wanted to pop by around 9:00 am on Saturday to take a picture of space before he was off to Home Hardware to obtain some prices on various materials! I just went along as he seems keen. Will see what we shall see. 
 
Had enjoyed a large plate of lasagna for "breakfast", before my ride, so made a delicious frying pan of Dad's Delight for dinner, along with a cabbage/lettuce salad. Read while I ate dinner and then worked away on email until about 11:00 pm before heading to bed to read some more before turning out the light, just after midnight.

Hi John! Just a quick note to thank you again for showing me such wonderful routes, both Wednesday and today. Not sure if your odometre has GPS so I've included links to our two rides, Indian Rock and Seacrest. Perhaps I'll see you at the Prague Café tomorrow, after the Farmer's Market. If not, I'll be in touch about riding this coming week. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Self-portrait with new Specialized helmet!


Thanks Patrick!!...Lovely sky!!...very emotional!!...with lots of character all right...Now which one of these lovely ladies is Cora Lee
The one sitting down with Gregg or the one standing with Gregg??
 

Did you relocate from the island??someone was from Port Alberni I think but can't remember who that was???...was that you??? I look forward to Monday's hike!!..and lots of laughs!! Have a great week-end!! Murielle (Elle:-)

Hi again, Murielle! Cora Lee is sitting with Gregg, Francesca, standing. They now live in Parksville. We moved from Vancouver, where we'd lived for forty years, first in a house in Kits, then to a condo just off Granville Island. Looking forward to Farmer's Market tomorrow. See you on Monday. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Al! Quite enjoyed the album as I was disappointed not to join gang on Thursday.  To make up for lack of exercise on Thursday I had a wonderful ride today. Looped back through Willowbrook and then See Ya Later, back into OK Falls. Thought of hiking group as we whizzed past the pump house!  Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment