Thursday 24 September 2015

Madroña Manor Blues: Thursday, September 24th!

In my youth I thought of writing a satire on mankind; but now in my age I think I should write an apology for them. -Horace Walpole, novelist and essayist (24 Sep 1717-1797) 


Thank you, Patrizzio. Look forward to tennis in sunny Penticton. In January, next year! Bestestos, Marcello

Talk more later ... Yes we would love to join you, thanks for thinking of us, tell us when we need to be at your place (remind me of your address). We are in Vancouver now, back Friday late. Cheers! Aart & Jos

Art: TropicalToad
Lurch and Grogg arrived around 11:00 am and after we visited for a bit, had a bite of lunch, The Sisterhood took off Power Shopping while Grogenheimer and I suited up and headed out for a ride. He had forgotten to bring along his helmet so we stopped off at the Freedom the Bike Shop just a few blocks away. While he was looking for a helmet I chatted with one of the staff to see about mounting a larger set of mountain bike tires on my Brodie hybrid. Looks as if it can accomodate something that will allow me to ride on some of the rougher parts of the KVR Trail, per esmpio, so am pleased about that. probably won't make the change until after we return from India as know I won't be doing any of that sort of riding before then. 

At any rate, Grogg selected a snazzy blue Specialized helmet but it was a bit small so he ended up choosing a Giro, a pair of gloves and some high-end glasses. I decided I'd buy the Specialized as I needed another helmet so now I am almost completely colour-co-ordinated when I wear my Raggedy-Andy, tattered and torn, 2010 Olympic Volunteer shirts, much to Lady Mary's fashion despair! 

Suitably helmeted, I took Grogg on flatland overview of some of my routes around town, Penticton tennis Club, Lakeshore/Riverside Drives and then along Government to South Main where we kicked over, via Skaha Lake Park to ride past the end of Penticton Airport. Horrendous wind, and I do mean just that, as we made our way towards the golf course beside the Penticton IB Road.

Fortunately the hurricane force wind was at our backs so we sailed along, soon coming to the houses on the reservation here. We took a short jog towards Apex and saw about 13 or 14 of the wild horses which roam these parts.

I went a little bit further along while Grogg stopped to do a few stretches and have a drink. Only went to intersection of Green Mountain Road and West Hill Road which leads to the Penticton Indian Band Administration building. Plan to take a ride there, at some point, to scope out the roads on the bench above, which, I gather, eventually connect with the residential area know as West Bench, above Highway 97 going towards Summerland.

Back to collect Grogg and we then proceeded to cross 97 at Fairview Road and then dipsy-doodled back to Burns Street. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/908877277#.VgR-kNyTYZw.email
 
Frustrated as hell, to find that I had a near flat just as we pulled up to the house. Third rear tire flat in less than three weeks. At any rate, since I wanted to go for a longish ride next day I loaded my Trek onto the bike rack and took it in to Freedom. 

Pleased that it could be fixed right away and I was back home by 5:30 pm. Grogg and I had hoped to go to Cannery Brewery for a pint or two but The Sisterhood nixed that idea, preferring to start the evening with white wine under the pergola. Such is life in Paradise!

Most pleasant time, indeed, chatting and catching up. G/L had brought three wonderful bottles of Washington red: 2010 Woodward Canyon Merlot, 14.9%, 2010 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon, 14.3% and, new to us, 2011 Pedestal Merlot, 15.2%. We've tasted in Walla Walla quite a few times, a number of times with them, so these fabulous wines brought back many, many fond memories. Along with the Mrs Patmore's scrumptious lasagna, made with Henning's ground moose meat, we were very, very happy, if more than tipsy, campers!

Marvin captures St John's from the air!
Sharon and Jud have forwarded a collection of photos taken by our enthusiastic hiking group photographer!! Patricio:-) nice to have good memories!...with such photography! Hope to be able to join the hike at White Lake on Monday! Looking forward to another exhilarating day with such an enthusiastic and interesting group of hikers!I really appreciate the great camaraderie!!:-) Elle 

Hi Murielle! What a beautiful name! No wonder you are so attractive!!! At any rate, very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the snaps. Great hike indeed.For my part, I was a tad disappointed not to join gang today but close friends, from Parksville, have been in the Okanagan since early this week and were to stay over tonight. They arrived around 11:00 am and I wanted to be here to see them, of course. Had a lovely visit. I'm certainly planning to do the hike at White Lake on Monday so hope to see you. Cheers, Patrizzio! 



Pics: Last night's evening sky. It reminds me of my Sunday School picture books with the craggy-faced, heavily bearded, vengeful, Old Testament God glaring out through the fiery clouds at all the sinners below! Needed a large gulp of red wine after I took the pictures to calm my nerves, knowing full well, that His gaze was directed, particularly, upon me! Gregg with Cora Lee. Our very first fire! Unfortunately we needed to use a "fake" log as haven't yet managed, with all the hiking and cycling, putting up shelving, of one sort or another, and moving in activity, to find suitably dry firewood. (Not really a priority in the summer heat!) Still, we love to have a "real" fire to sip malt in front of, reading a book, during a cold winter's night. 


If you made your donation directly to the Pat of Hearts account and you would like to have a refund, please email me (Tip Placzek).

Jim, Tip, Dan, Dean, Samantha and Pat's friends would like to express our sincere thanks once again for your tremendous support and your deep generosity. Sincerely, The Placzeks of Vancouver.
 

Hello Tip, Jim, Dan, Dean and Samantha: Deepest sympathy on Pat's death. Know that we grieve with you and for you. Cannot even begin to imagine the emotional strength you have shown throughout this devastating ordeal. Our hearts go out to you.

Please use our donation in any way that you wish. Corinne and I would both like to see you to offer our condolences in person.
We leave for India, for six weeks, on October 27th, but will be driving into Vancouver on October 16th as Chloë has a fund raiser on the 17th. Then from 20th-25th we are volunteering at the Vancouver Writers Festival. Back on December 10th. Please let us know if there might be a time/place we could meet, even if only briefly. Again, sincere condolences on Pat's untimely death. Much love, Corinne and Patrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment