Wednesday 23 September 2015

Northern Hemisphere Autumnal Equinox Blues: Wednesday, September 23rd!

Our conscience is not the vessel of eternal verities. It grows with our social life, and a new social condition means a radical change in conscience. -Walter Lippmann, journalist (23 Sep 1889-1974) 


P, great story about Jake's hat. Did the wind change directions in the next few minutes as wee are accustomed? Hammerfest continues. Fond regards to you both, G

Residents of the village of Harmondsworth, on expansion of Heathrow airport
Photo: hacan2009 (holophrasm)
Hello Hammerhead and Company! Whirlygig, in fact you hit the nail on the head, so to speak, when you observed that the wind did, in fact, change direction, in the twinkling of an eye, to sweep Jake's inordinately expensive chapeau from my handsome pate, into the squealing mêlée of piglets, (FYI, this refers to a rather embarrassing incident at the Rock Creek Fall Fair, this past Sunday, Sylvia and Robo Man.), to be trampled and soiled but not torn or ripped, in spite of rugby scrum efforts! Almost a fate worse than maiming by stanchion! Fondestos from Cora Lee to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

PS: World Cup People, any word on what might have been decided about group tickets for Sevens next year? On another matter, I assume you stopped for Chai Lattes along the Thames Embankment, Boris! As well, very keen to hear about your cycling and walk with Jim. 

Hi, Patrick. My brother Greg will be joining us for the trivia event.  He's very enthusiastic, in fact.  I thought of him because he is a curious-type and constantly notices things and posts odd (and usually interesting) bits of information on his blog.

Speaking of money for Aunt Leah's,  how does that work?  I'm not sure if I should go online to buy two tickets or whether you have the tickets already, in which case I can pay you on the 17th. I've written Sunday the 18th into my calendar for dinner, and look forward to seeing you then too.  I'll be sure to plan a gluten-free repast. All the best. Janet 


Hi again, Janet! Simply wonderful that Greg will join us! Thanks for recruiting him! What an asset!!! Thanks, as well, for asking about the tickets but don't worry about them as we have already paid for the table. If you wish to support Aunt Leah's you can always bid on some of the items at the Silent Auction. Great that we will have the opportunity to visit again, next evening, at dinner. Looking forward to that as well, of course. Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!                                Hi Goils! Just a quick word about Trivia Night. Janet's brother Greg will be joining us for the trivia event. Can we "squeeze" him into our table? I'll pay at the door or else Nana can give you the money this weekend, if you plan to see her, that is! Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Dad/Paparazzo Patrizzio!

Hi Dad, Fine to add Greg but now you are at your max of 8 at your table, they can pay you directly as you paid for 8 ppl already. Saw your pictures last night very beautiful!! xx

Hello Lower Mainlanders, Bridge People, Exiles! 

Greetings to one and all. Pleased to follow the on-going debates surrounding weekly matches, sports, birthdays and the like! Certainly miss the bridge and the wonderful camaraderie but pretty busy here so cannot complain. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Aarturo! Had been meaning to thank you for the shot of Ken and myself at Skaha Bluffs. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join tomorrow's hike, much to my great disappointment, as I was certainly looking forward to the outing. We have friends arriving at 11:00 am tomorrow morning and Gregg called, from Burrowing Owl where they are staying tonight, to say he was looking forward to going for a ride with me once here. In fact, I was out riding when he called so he spoke to my long-suffering wife, Cora Lee. 

Before I go on, we were wondering if you and Jos would like to join us on Saturday, October 3rd, for a jaunt to Orofino Winery in Keremeos. It is a pizza-pick-up party, between 12:00-3:00 pm, and we are to collect the fall wine releases. As members of their wine club we are entitled to bring along two guests. Not a big deal but a very pleasant gathering with wood-fired pizzas while sipping many of their offerings. We usually stay for an hour or so and we'd be delighted if you are free and interested. Would give us a chance to visit as well. If you would like to join us we would either collect you or you could drive to our place and then we'd drive in our car from here. At any rtae, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Had an absolutely incredible ride today. Weather couldn't have been better when I set out around 12:30 pm. I usually ride to the Penticton Tennis Club and then along Lakeshore, looping back just before the highway to Summerland. From there I planned to ride to Naramata, thinking I'd go towards Chute Lake, as far as the pavement goes. However, as I was jsut starting up Vancouver another cyclist said hello and passed me by. I assumed I wouldn't see him again as he was going at a pretty steady pace and I lost sight of him before I reached Upper Bench Road.  

However, once along Naramata Road I caught sight of him as he was wearing a bright yellow jacket and while he was a good way ahead I thought I might gain on him, given terrain ahead. Turned out that just after we passed the sign for Naramata Village itself, I did, indeed, catch up with him. We rode together for a bit, introduced ourselves, (John Fantini, from Sydney, but has lived here for last 15 years, in Skaha Estates.), and I asked him where he was headed. He said that Indian Rock was his destination. I have been meaning to explore this part of Naramata but, to date, had never attempted the fairly steep descent, worrying about the return leg! At any rate, I thought it would be fun so I decided to tag along. 


Certainly glad that I did as it is a spectacularly beautiful ride, with many switchbacks. Okanagan Lake was mirror smooth when we started out but by the time we were descending into the tiny community of Indian Rock itself, the surface was dappled, looking like burnished, hammered pewter. The vistas were spectacular, akin to so many of the views we've enjoyed on our various hikes.

Once we reached the end of the road, so to speak, we turned around and started the long climb back up. Not as bad as I was afraid it might be. Still a good push and I was huffing and puffing at times. Once back to the point I'd ridden to before, (turn-off to Chute Lake), going gets easier and we whizzed along, although the wind was fairly strong, out of the west, so more of a cross-wind, not as ferocious as it would have been if it had been a head wind.


A kilometre or so  before Robinson John took me onto Partridge Road which soon becomes Boothe Road, an alternate route into Naramata Village. What an unbelievable discovery, for me, at least, as the road winds between orchards and vineyards, (We had to dodge a small tractor, hauling fruit, on one corner!), descending very steeply, at times. Comes out, on the flat, near the road which leads to Sandy Beach Lodge and beyond. I wanted to take this route but John waved me on and we went the other way, past the now closed Naramata Centre and Manitou Park and finally along Old Main Road, right along the lake shore for quite some time, and then the climb began! I knew it had to be but again, it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined. One comes out on Naramata Road near Van Westen Winery so I knew, almost exactly, where I was when back on the "level" again.

Needless to say, I was more than delighted to have met John and than have him show me these two extraordinary routes. We cycled back towards Penticton, taking Upper Bench Road so that we would descend onto Eckhard. I wanted to show him where we lived as I knew, from chatting earlier, that the had left his car near the Prague Café. Funnily enough he had been sitting across the street from there when I rode by earlier. I had noticed a group of cyclists sitting and chatting but didn't realize he was in that group when I was passed them, heading towards the PTC. He usually meets his friends there for coffee, preferring to go riding a bit later than they usually set out.

At any rate, I rode back there with him, as I wanted to add some needed distance, and then returned, on Ellis, back home. He dropped by a few minutes later, after he had loaded his bike into his car, and he came in to meet Cora Lee. We chatted some more and exchanged email addresses and phone numbers as I think we will probably ride together in future. He is off to Australia in five weeks, for five months, so although we plan to ride together on Friday, we will probably have to wait until March/April, when he is to be back. Loads to do here and with hiking, visitors and our own coming trip to India, time is evaporating! Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/908064531#.VgOM2EDWDyA.email
 
Stats for ride: (second address) https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/908064531#.VgWR_TSyYC0.email

Kiss all the Babes on the hike for me tomorrow! Enjoy the outing. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: More good looking men! Cora Lee with Jake and Peter at the All Candidates Forum on Monday night. Masked bandit who tried to steal our wallets on walk home, along Penticton Creek. Molten gold sunset on Tuesday night, from Giant's Head.

Thank you for kind words, Pat! We shall be in Vancouver from the afternoon of the 27th on, staying with Julia and Ross for two nights, and at Paul and Joan's for the last one. No sun-worshipping over here for the last month or so. The wonderful summer we had ended three weeks into August. Hope to see more of you next time I'm here. Bestestos, Marcello ... and very nice pics!

Hello Non-Sun-Worshippers! Just a quick note to say that Cora Lee will be in touch regarding getting together when both parties are in Vancouver! Sorry I'll not be at your send-off, Kjell. Best wishes/regards to Liisa.

Next visit you must stay longer so that you can enjoy some of the wonderful cycling hereabouts, not to mention more wine-tasting!
Must away as Lurch and Grogg, (from Parksville, via Burrowing Owl, where they have been staying for last two nights), are arriving at 11:00 am and Mme Coriandre has a long list of chores I'm to accomplish before then. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver and Bon Voyage. Travel safely. Hello to Sigurjón Birgir Sigurðsson, aka, Sjón, when in Iceland. He was at the VWF last year and I enjoyed his sessions immensely. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Dear Patrick and Corinne You lead too grand a life!  What a way to celebrate the autumn!  Sounds absolutely terrific.  Sunsets, stunning views, good friends and good wine.  Enjoy! When do you leave for India? Word on the Street this weekend.  Not sure if I will go or not--think putting my feet up at home would feel better. 

Celebrating the Education 100 Alumni this evening.  As part of UBC's Centennary  Faculty of Education is honoring 100 of their top alumni.  Patricia Shields a good friend is among the top 100 along with science teacher and writer Leslie Johnstone. So I will go to the dinner in the new Robert Lee Alumni Centre--it is now open. Look forward to seeing what it is like. Put on a dress for the first time in a long time--what a struggle stockings etc. But my ankle actually looks okay--not deformed or anything so I can really celebrate orthopedic surgeons and their talents.  Take care always. Lots of love  Jo-Anne                                                    Hi Social Butterfly! Trust you are well in spite of your struggle with stockings. Sounds just like my struggle with socks and hiking boots! What is thee Robert Lee Alumni Centre like? Did you attend Word on the Street or just lie on the couch and read? Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you and Colin. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
 

Patriçio, Does the 10” / 12” refer to the size of the blade or the length of the max cut? Ideally, you want a “slider” that can cut a 12” wide plank (at least at a right angle). How often do you expect to be working with wood that wide? Probably not a lot.

I would go for the Dewalt if it it does what you expect you need, but “house” brands are generally fine for us amateurs. My cordless tools are the Home Depot “house” issue, in fact the “lower end” of their two house brands and they gave served me well. Pick up a set of ear protectors too.


Patriçio, Find attached pics of one of my containers for organizing the above mentioned stuff. Note, these are “Stanley” brand, there are cheaper imitations that do not work as well. If you would like 1 or 2 of of these, and they are not available in Penticton, I can get them for you at Home Depot for the 17th. Beats the heck out of glass jars of various sizes.
 

My trip to Yakima will be the week leading to the 17th with an expected return time of Friday late pm. Of course I will keep to the speed limit as those American cops can be annoying …

Hi Ragin'! Trust you are well. Thanks, yet again, for all the unbelievable help! I ended up with the DeWalt so now I need to read the manual! Still need ear protectors. Also, thanks for pictures of organizers. Terrific suggestion but I think I'll have time, when in Vancouver, before we leave for Inja, to pick some up. Trivia Night takes place at St Mary's Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 3150 Ash St. Starts at 7:00 pm. We could probably collect you as we will be having dinner with friends, beforehand. Sara and Dermot live on Broadway, a few blocks from Alma. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Sara/Branko! Sorry about mix-up but at least you know as much as Ragin' about latest ride and possible arrangements for Trivia Night! Cheers, Patrizzio the Confused! 

Next Monday we will return to White Lake where we will hike to Guy's Cache, a memorial hike in honor of Guy who tragically lost his life mountain biking at the Three Blind Mice. So meet at 9 am at the northeastern parking lot of Home Hardware in Penticton and Summerlanders can carpool at 8:40 at the IGA. Afterwards we will imbibe our favourite refreshments at Opus in Penticton. See you there!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment